It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floating Cities of the Future

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas
reply to post by hp1229

wiki is utter crap. Maybe you consider the insulation capability of aerogels to insulate pykrete. Also in space especially beyond Jupiter,temperatures are in minus.Which means that Pykrete can be used for o neill cylinders without insulation.
nexialinstitute.com...
Agree. I do not deny that wiki is crap nor do I deny the fact that pykrete is/might be a viable solution. However we're talking about cities floating in water on this thread and on earth where the temperatures fluctuate drastically in different oceans. Space applications is a whole different challenge.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Very nice picture compilation, id love to see a future like this.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Man this is great stuff! I used to live on a floating house with my ex-BF. Yuk!

Up and down and up and down...make you and me sick.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Cities like these might provide hope for the future with overpopulation being an issue in the coming decades (not that it isn't an issue now).

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Very cool

I think the scientists are moving the right direction. We were looking at a piece of property at like 3" above Sea Level and, well, it didn't go through. Probably a good thing. I think the island will be unusable within 20 years....

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Cities like these might provide hope for the future with overpopulation being an issue in the coming decades (not that it isn't an issue now).

Well K, you can float around with the sharks and electric eels i am staying put on firm terra.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Awesome thread

I love the idea of ocean housing because of the potential to use wave action as a renewable energy source. Well that and convenient fishing

Have you looked into suboceanic housing as well?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I haven't looked into sub oceanic housing other than the odd brain storm.

But sub oceanic cities and facilities are certainly useful as well.

ETA: I was also impressed how several of these models were self sufficient, and actually helped the environment. It's too bad these ideas weren't perfected and put into action.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
thats all well and good if your a trillionaire but what about regular folks?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

We could all be trillionaires if the world was ran properly. If the world wasn't rigged and all it's wealth was spread equally happiness and health would be in abundance for all.

It would be nice, and is possible.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

thats all well and good if your a trillionaire but what about regular folks?

Technology gets smaller in size when it advances. Most technologies we enjoy now were only privy to the super wealthy when they were first developed. This is no different. We need to invest in it, and it will become attainable to the average family.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

in my opinon ,both can work.But it will be easier to use the anti gravity pathway as an existing city could be transformed into a flying one via means of anti gravity generator.

reply to post by Corruption Exposed

i'm reminded of the Okie cities of the Cities in flight novels:

Cities in Flight is an omnibus volume of four novels written by James Blish, originally published between 1955 and 1962, which became known over time collectively as the 'Okie' novels. The novels feature entire cities that are able to fly through space using an anti-gravity device, the spindizzy. They cover a span of time of many hundred years, from a very near future to the end of the universe. 'Earthman, Come Home' was a winner of a Retro Hugo Award in 2004 for Best Novelette.[1]

The Cities in Flight Novels
They Shall Have Stars

They Shall Have Stars (1956) (also published under the title Year 2018!) describes the political and social conditions in the near future when several major technologies are developed which change society radically. These are 'anti-agathic' drugs, which defer or prevent aging, and the development of gravity manipulation, which leads to 'faster-than-light' spaceship drives. During this period the Western democratic government model becomes ever more intolerant, eventually resembling the Soviet model very closely. A principal protagonist of this book, Alaska's US Senator Bliss Wagoner, is eventually executed by an oppressive regime, but not before he has made the technologies which allow mankind to escape their home planet available to all. The book is notable for the detailed way in which it handles technology, providing a mathematical explanation of the principles behind the anti-gravity drive, and illustrations of chemical bonding for reactions in the Ice IV material which is used to build a fixed point 'bridge' on the surface of Jupiter during the drive testing. Politically, the book clearly expresses a strong opposition to McCarthyism, at its peak during the time of writing.

Reviewing a later edition, the Hartford Courant described the novel as "a skillful mixture of human reality and technological fantasy."[2]

A Life for the Stars

A Life for the Stars (1962) describes the adventures of a young farm boy Chris, co-opted into an Earth city (Scranton, Pennsylvania) which has begun travelling in space. The development of the anti-gravity (spindizzy) drives has now enabled very large objects to be enclosed and moved using gravity manipulation. Thus, for instance, mining factories together with associated towns can be moved to bodies of ore, not only on Earth but also amongst the planets in local space. Many of these 'Okie' cities are rejecting Earth jurisdiction, making interstellar journeys, and operating a trading economy out of reach of the Earth authorities. After many adventures Chris eventually becomes a resident of New York, now a major 'Okie' city under its charismatic mayor John Amalfi, being elevated to the newly-created position of city manager due to having a unique, problem-solving skill-set identified by the City Fathers, which are supercomputers who regulate the day-to-day life of the flying city.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This reminds me of a scifi story I read recently. In the story, scientists had invented a way for sound to be used to soften the plastics in the ocean. Buoys were set out, equipped with the technology, in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. When the plastics softened, they stuck together forming islands. People could hollow out rooms and cave systems to live in, with solar being used as power. Starting to look like Science Fiction is not so much Fiction anymore.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Awesome post!

The Pacific needs some cleansing. I wish it was possible but it's too fare gone for many generations.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Hah that sounds like a cool story. What's the name of the book?

Is off-gassing still an issue in that scenario? I would think so..

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

It was in a collection of short stories. I'm not sure if it went that far into the technical side, that was just the background for the story plot. I'll see if I can find it, I've read several books since and can't quite remember which one it was in.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Sounds to me an awesome way to avoid paying any sort of tax, ever again. And they wonder why round the world cruises are so popular LOL.

Pretty cool idea though, a lot of yacht builders make solar powered catamarans like the Turanor PlanetSolar

en.wikipedia.org...

These are already perfectly viable for anyone who would like make a life at sea. There is of course this beast aswell, the Ocean Empire Life Support Vessel, its a super yacht, and its completely mental and totaly beyond the reach of mortals.

www.sautercarbonoffsetdesign.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Credit for the cities in the sky goes to Buckminster Fuller, he called them Cloud 9, and he worked out all the facts and figures for how they would work. Of course graphene or other super-strong materials hadn't been invented then, but even without them, it would have worked. He also designed Triton City, an anchored floating residence for up to 100,000 people, all self sufficient. His Old Man River city was very nearly built, and it might be time to look at such a project again.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Great post. star and Flag from Liejunkie01.

Lets not forget about the floating cities for the folks that lost their jobs on the "new" floating cities.

Here is a couple of pics to see what people have to look forward when the economy drops off in a new age floating lifestyle.

It is like the Ghetto, but we will call it the Floetto

On another note. Can you imagine what the flood insurance would be? I mean what kind of devestation do you think that a category 5 hurricane could do to one of the installations?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

LOL Water World with Kevin Kostner.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join