It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Chicksands UFO Report - high strangeness or hoax

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nomadros

The chances of anyone on the base, or attached to it, having the slightest clue about events almost 50 years ago are between nowt and very little. For one thing. it's back under British aegis , it was American back then and any "history" would have been mostly aural and long gone by now.

If you really want to find out there's a facebook page for the base with several people from the period contemporary to the incident as members, you could start there and then try shops in the locality and find a general store or new agents who have been around for half a century see what they remember.

As for liars, well there's a hell of a lot of them in debunking field. Klass was almost pathological in consistently lying about evidence and witnesses, Charles Moore has been shown to have falsified the data for the so called Mogul Balloon flight path. Both those people's work are quoted time and time again by people who are falling over themselves to have a go shysters like Greer.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
quite a few reports on this story on the internet.

in goodle put "chicksands ufo" - in date range i put 01/01/2000 - 01/01/2008 and its thrown up quite a lot of sites with reports.

still reading now, interesting story.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

>you could start there and then try shops in the locality and find a general store or new agents who have been around for half a century see what they remember

Yup I did all that + local farmers, pubs etc. 50 years ago, this place was in the middle of nowhere and now it's in the London commuter belt. Shefford (next door to it) was a small village and going 5 miles to the next village was a major journey that you undertook on a special occasion. Local locals whose families have been around for that long are in short supply as most residents these days have come from other parts of the UK or the world.

For example all the shops in the area are now owned by an Indian mate of mine and his family, anything else that's was a shop is now a takeaway (owned by his mates), a lot of fields have been built on or are rental only from companies, pubs are owned by breweries not people etc etc.

I take your point about FB but I won't go near it. If someone wants to make contact with people that way and arrange meetings, I'm more than willing meet up with anyone who's willing to talk.

I did a google and the same story was just repeated on a few sites. I'd have to go to a local library to view papers from that era, which is something I didn't do as I had 2 weeks and a job in London to do as well.

Saying that I've got pretty much jack to do over the next couple of weeks so I could see if any libraries are left in the area as they tend to be mobile these days from a central depot. If anyone wants to FB people, then get a list of talkers and I'll meet them. I'm driving up there this afternoon. Oh..in case you're wondering the virtual library doesn't have anything
edit on 18/8/2012 by nomadros because: added library URL

New addition....I found this list of names and email addresses and have emailed a local author who is on this list and who has written a few books on the place
that I found after searching this site. We'll see what shows up.
edit on 18/8/2012 by nomadros because: added extra info

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
reply to post by nomadros

For one thing. it's back under British aegis , it was American back then and any "history" would have been mostly aural and long gone by now.

Was about to state the same.

Spent a little bit of time at Chicksands whilst it was a USAF base, in the 80's whilst with the MoD and in the 90''s as a contractor. In that time the only people who would have lived on site were American military, not aware of any British personnel barracked there and I imagine that would have been the same whilst under USAF control in the 60's.

You have to remember that as a USAF base it was considered American soil and as such the British police and even military had no precedence, unless working "with" their American counterparts. Shops on site took US$, the burger bars were much better than Wimpey and even the police cars were of the Blues Brothers variety.

Despite the rotational nature of many of the staff (another reason why any gossip may not have expanded) there was a definite "apple pie community" feel to the base. Unfortunately this was damaged when, at the annual airshow (85 or 86), fighting broke out between people from the nearby RAF Henlow base and USAF servicemen which escalated into a full scale riot that tragically resulted in an American receiving fatal injuries. Sadly but perhaps understandably MoD / USAF and local relations were strained and the base never felt the same afterwards.

Due to the local topography it is quite possible that any object hovering low over the base would not be seen elsewhere, the bulk of it does sit within a bit of a bowl. If anything provided a radar return it would likely have been picked up by RAF Henlow.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Ok, I've started a conversation with the chair of the Chicksands priory. He doesn't know anything about the incident, but knows the area and people and has written many histories of the place. He is interested, so we'll see what happens.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'm just using this space to compile data, so don't get excited.

site photos from the 60s

an old list of email addresses of personnel which includes the years each person was stationed there.

This'll go with the email address list above for rabidhampster

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by douggie60
My Dad was in the RAF for 30 years, he was stationed at RAF Acklington for sometime, my family lived on camp. during the mid 60's. We were coming home one evening from Gateshead, visiting my grandparents. In a field, close to the camp was a cone shaped object, hovering motionless, making no noise that we could here. We all saw it, from the car.
My point to this story is, that some people are quick to debunk her story, she is not the only one to have seen UFO's at a RAF camp, and I'm sure there are plenty of others..

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by douggie60

No doubt probably quite a few RAF people have seen UFO's, my story was in support of her's. I have seen a few more since then, and now my immediate family have also seen UFO's.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Hey,

Sorry to be commenting on such an old thread.

I came across this site and this thread the other day after searching for something my dad had been telling me about.

He was MOD for a very very long time, and was telling me about a time he had been sent to an airbase to redirect traffic due to a ufo report. My first thought was Rendlesham forest, but when I google mapped it - saw Chicksands was nowhere near.

So it was sometime in the mid 80's and the mod were redirecting traffic away from the woods/base. The rumour going around was that someone had seen a ufo. Apparently the base was occupied by the US airforce, the CO of the base had said he'd seen something and got sent back to America. I'm not sure if this was just rumours or if he did get sent.

Anyhow, thought it may be of interest to someone looking into Chicksands. I've been having a look myself and can't find too much about sightings there and definitely haven't seen anything from the 80s.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: kkninja

Thanks for posting. I'll see if I can find anything that helps and will post later on if successful.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I'm telling you now I lived at chicksands a few years ago. Although it's been many years since this UFO sighting. Her description of the base is very very accurate. To get that kind of description you have to be there, to get there you need to have a special ID specifically for that base. Furthermore while I lived at chicksands it wasn't a nice place at all. Beautiful surroundings but very scary. Even amongst us army kids their is a lot of rumours about that place that turned out to be true. The wooded area where the UFO was sighted is not somewhere people go. You always feel watched. Also what me and a few friends noticed our parents who served in the army (my dad being in the Royal signals and intelligence corps) have certain parts of their military records missing. My friends dad learned fluent Russian there where as my father was placed in DISC which is also an underground facility and even he has said their is things he wish he could say but he can't. Chicksands isn't a nice place at all, as a family it wasn't nice. Oh and before i forget, at one point my father was relived from his work during his service at chicksands and was suspected of something. I can't remember much of it only that he was gone for 2 days. I don't know what happened or still goes on at chicksands but something doesn't add up. The place is almost deserted of people very few families and service personnel.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join