It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why women live longer than men

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Giving birth has been a potential death sentence for women right up to the modern age. Being married shortens women's lives statistically, and lengthens men's. Many of the duties women have been doing over time are demanding and dangerous. Running after children is not particularly physically demanding, but many of the jobs people think were done by men exclusively were not. Many of the people in the fields were women.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
In the modern world it has been observed that women do tend to live longer than men but much of that could be attributed to lifestyle choices. Men tend to partake in higher risk activities but generally less when married with family responsibilities to consider so married men with families also tend to live longer than single men.

It's also been said that married men, although they have the statistical advantage of greater longevity, are more willing to die

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

It's fact that women do tend to take better care of their health than men and tend to make more visits to their doctors than men do. Men's health should be at the forefront; how often do men visit their doctors to check their prostate? Instead of looking after themselves, they spend their lives whinging about women and blame them for all their health problems!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SibylofErythrae

I agree

I was not implying that women had it easy, I was just trying to state that there are occupational hazards that can attribute to the numbers. And being back in the day when the old timers were young the majority of the workers were men. Not all but the majority.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

.... except that it's also observed in other species.

Next.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
.... except that it's also observed in other species.

Wasn't the giant tortoise known as "Lonesome George" , believed
to be the last living member of its subspecies, out lived all his
female counterparts and his species

edit on 8/8/12 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Are war deaths included in these statistics? In almost every generation men are fighting and dying in wars.
edit on 8-8-2012 by DaesDaemar because: missed a word

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I think stress and how the sexes deal with it could play a large role. Even though both men and women experience stress on a regular basis, I think the types of stressors are different and men tend to internalize more than women.

A woman will hash out her issues with other women and usually have a close support network to help her out when she is troubled. You really don't see men calling up their friends to cry on their shoulders.

Stress over an extended period is known to be unhealthy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join