It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How we can restore what it meant to be a policeman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Bring back the beat cop. Have cruisers for back up. The beat cops get to know everybody in his beat, He knew your dad, his kids go to school with your kids. When he arrested you he is truly sorry because he knows your parents are good people.
We allowed them to be taken away from our neighborhoods and our streets, and no longer do we have that personal connection to our police force. This is why the interfere with little kids lemonade stand and other silly things, Used to be that a cop saw a kid with a lemonade stand he called her by name and bought a glass

Bring back the beat cops and you slowly but surely insure they stay loyal to the people. Maybe that is why they got rid of them.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Familiarity resulted in corruption I am afraid to say. In theory it’s a really good way to maintain peace, but when you are given the chose to arrest a good friend of yours, some may be more inclined to let things slide.

In my opinion, make law enforcement a revered profession, that has incredible high standards and is difficult to join. The job needs to be respected more than it is. Pay Officers more money, make the job more essential and the public will once again respect the law.

This is assuming you do not subscribe to the theory that the US or western nations are using the police to institute a “police state”

edit on 3-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Music and police brutality hand in hand, need we say more

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I have thought long and hard about the whole issue of the Police and who they are currently Policing.

The police are supposed to protect the normal citizen, however today, they are more like a private security force used by government.

Want proof? Occupy, the police should be on the sidelines, making sure events to not escelate, and are supposed to arrest those people who make trouble, overall they are supposed to be supporting the Occupy movement as its a public and civilian movement, however, the police are against it, as they are working for the Governments and not the Public today.

I think the only way to tackle this problem, would be to start, making civil arrests.

Every community, should set up a local community holding facility, and then start arresting people who commit crimes ( I know its not as easy as it sounds).
This would especially make a difference for people trying to fight a corrupt government, as anyone making trouble at a protest, would be locked up (Duration and so forth should be VERY limited as treatment is a much biggest success in stopping people committing repeat offences ).
However, this would give protesters security, as anyone from the black hooded trouble makers, to Police abusing power, would be held 100% accountable.

We need a police force that is " of the people, by the people, for the people," and the only way i can see that happening, is if community's start taking law into their own hands, as there would be no money in creating a police force " of the people, by the people, for the people," hence would not happen naturally.

Namaste

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Familiarity resulted in corruption I am afraid to say. In theory it’s a really good way to maintain peace, but when you are given the chose to arrest a good friend of yours, some may be more inclined to let things slide

As long as it is within reason, this is called having mercy, something we all could use a little more of nowadays, since there's so little mercy being afforded.

Beat cops are also more likely to know what is going on in their area. The more you frequent a place, the more you hear and see. A case of spousal abuse here, a streetside drug deal there, making those beat cops an important part of the community instead of being seen as an outsider.

I agree with the OP.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

actually, paying them more makes them like a mafia to get in. The hoard the jobs for their family members and friends, which many should not be cops, or even fry cooks.

Happens in my home city. The good competent cops are stuck doing all the work because the brats who got in on favors or family, just coast by for the huge pay check.

way to fix it?

reverse the fascist mentality of law enforcement agencies, reverse their standing orders to treat their citizens like terrorists for making signs, or reading political literature.

You can throw all the money they want at them. In the end if cops are not reminded that THEY TOO are citizens of a DEMOCRACY, they will walk the wheel of self appointed power followed by negative public reactions.

That's why you have neighborhoods that would do bodily harm to cops if they came alone. They each know someone who has a story to tell and they know it is not BS since they themselves probably have their own story.

Those stories are on the rise all over in all communities. Bad attitude because their superiors read too much political literature written by morons who didn't understand the consequences of the living hell they advocate.

no, cops need to take a crash course on policing a DEMOCRACY. The issues of tactics and public outcry are due to the fact that people still believe they live in a democratic western world. It is actually as absurd as a German citing his rights to a member of Hitler's Gestapo. He might smile before he executes the guy....silly.

People are people. You push and they push back. Law of life. Law enforcement seems to opt for pushing back harder each time. Like somehow people will erase their instinct to remove threats from their lives. Many see police as the enemy. You can't seriously wonder why......or blame them...... 1+1=2

edit on 3-8-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

My friend is a cop. His partner is a little short fused. My pal tells me all the time how he is constantly having to get out of the squad car and talk to people because his partner just pisses them off and makes them resistant to help, even themselves sometimes.

My friend gets to know them, talks to them, has mercy when it is for the greater good.....he is the source of more arrests because of it of real criminals. His partner just seems to catch leads on pot heads.

Plus my friend is more respected and feared by the real criminals because he gets help form the community. The other guy, they laugh at and make his life a living hell. They go out of their way to not help him.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Like i said, in theory this is a great way to operate because of all the reasons you listed, you know the people better and you gain a knowledge of your block.

Unfortunately not everyone is blessed with a good sense of judgement and you get the kind of personalities that seek out control and domination. Also, you set up a sort of defacto judge,jury and executioner by allowing each officer administer his own brand of justice.

I come from a small town where we had 4 local officers stationed, we knew them by name and they knew us. It was a great relationship. In big cities i see problems with this...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

I agree with some of your points, but i feel your over generalizing....I was suggesting that the role become more of an honor and with that honor comes a greater responsibility to the public.

Who knows how to fix it....Just my two cents

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The other day I saw a police officer changing a tire for a family stuck on the side of the road. I wanted to walk up and shake his hand.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I've always liked the concept of a beat cops. In some communities it can work but in the case of Suburban sprawl and subdivisions its getting harder. In the Summer months around my town there is always at least one officer on bicycle which makes him very accessible and visible in ways that cruiser patrols can never accomplish.

Aside from that, I think there needs to be a reasonable respect for authority and that can only be taught in the home. Plenty of kids these days have no fear or respect for authority at all. Whether its the police, their parents or school officials. They think that they are untouchable. Nothing wrong with a little fear and respect. That's the little voice in your head that tells you NO! A voice that seems to be lacking based on all of the troubling crap that gets posted on YouTube these days.

We've got a long way to go to get back to a simpler and much happier time.

(well publicized cases of police corruption and mistreatment of suspects don't help matters either) That has to change internally from behind the big blue wall.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I agree with you in principle. I don't think fear will give the respect you speak of. It will validate their view of cops being the enemy. You will also slowly but surely alienate all forms of public cooperation that are necessary to do your job.

Fear works for animals because you don't need much from them. People will remember and lash out when and where they can. You cant be everywhere all the time.

Force is very limited since it has diminishing returns. The more you apply the more that is validated in response.

It is short sighted and a cop out. It is like saying I don't want to take the time to reason with people today so my successors must deal with an angrier more violent people tomorrow.

It has never worked. You always need to up the game and while it may take a long time, society slowly crumbles when you cant respond with the next level of force. Read on it. It always fails and gets many people killed .

You need to EDUCATE people so they act civilized. Only true solution. A stick invites a bigger one next time around.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Police officers make plenty of money. Money is not the issue.

Intensive interviewing and behavioral/psychological screening are what is needed. I'm starting to see officers with tattoos all over their arms and strange haircuts.

There have got to be standards ~ clean driving records, academic proficiency, physical fitness. The bar must be set high for how the hair and the uniform are worn.

The police officers I've seen in recent years were poor representatives for their profession. It is one thing to wear the uniform. It is another to be the uniform.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

you cant get too picky when you have literally thousands of new law enforcement agencies to fill up for trumped up security concerns. You also cant pay them too much since you now have a LARGE army of them without conquest.

The US has built up nothing short of an army of officers for an endless list of law enforcement agencies. They wont make much and might consider making something extra on the side....that is how it happens in places like Mexico and else where...they cant feed their kids so they do what they have to with what they got....

That is not normal or eternally sustainable. That will bite us in the ass. That many people WILL give some criminals the power to do allot of damage to our country. They could even organize a Coup d'état.

Criminals trained and placed with other possible criminals in positions of power......even if they are a minority, can work their way into the minds of others until they have enough support to act like organized crime. They could even end up in leadership. A threat that the destruction of all democratic functions in the name of security has made unchallengeable. If they are your boss, you have to shut up and watch it happen.

Criminals have always wanted to become cops for obvious reasons. Now they can pass under the radar by blending into the crowds of people being sworn in.

If they become the big bosses of tomorrow....we will not be able to stop them since they can raid our homes and make us disappear before we can tell anyone about the problem. Cops of tomorrow might not like the fact that they cant question criminal activity that hurts their kids or family. If it is endorsed by their boss....they have to suck it up like all powerless people before them. Like subjects of cheap dictatorships do.

If you are a cop....can you question your leadership now....? Ask them why they do something without risking your job? What if they are criminals who managed to play it smart for the big prize....can you be a cop to them?

Maybe if that happens a great big army like ours will invade for morally superior reasons and liberate us.....

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
You want to fix the police departments across the country? Sign up for the job!

Seriously...when their candidate pools consist of trigger happy control freaks and imbalanced vets, you get what you get. Most logical, rational, intelligent folks aren't lining up for a cop job.

If hiring practices weed out the smart stable applications, then perhaps working to get some transparency from your local gov't is in order. I'd apply for the sheriff's office myself. They are (in my own experience) generally the best LE in any area.

ETA
Pajoly below me brought up something I usually mention in these type threads, but completely forgot to:
Steroid use in PD's across the country is a huge problem. It's a dirty little secret that no one wants to report on. But don't trust me, just google it.
edit on 3-8-2012 by blamethegreys because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
A few things:

Confiscate from them all their overkill military hardware. No 50 cals, no grenades, no tanks. If a situation requires that, require the governor to bring in the local National Guard.

Then, routinely test for steroids and instill a culture that rejects macho BS.

Pay them better and require all of them to spend 10% of their time doing non-law enforcement community service in the towns they patrol. (Build goodwill, get to know the people they serve.)

Aggressively prosecute ALL brutality and fire every cop who clearly uses force beyond what's necessary to gain situational control. (Stop tasing little girls, old people, killing people's dogs). Hold cops to twice the penalty any civilian faces for the same crime -- cops MUST be held to higher standards than the general public and the penalty for cop criminal act must be severe. Try all "good cops" who are proven to cover for bad cops with the same crime and subject to the same penalty.

Outlaw ALL warrantless searches and ALL early morning raids where they do not identify themselves. Require video be shot and filed for every door breach raid and mandate a 2 minute stand down after identifying themselves (no more busting down doors with fingers on the triggers assault rifles yelling, "Police!!" as they cross the threshold). Make any arrest null and void without video proving the cops held to the standard in home raids. Fire all cops and strip their benefits and pensions if they violate the standard and it results in serious injury to the victim (er, alleged criminal). No private citizen has any reason to believe what's yelled at them by masked gunmen in the middle of the night. Home invaders yell, "Police!" too.
edit on 3-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
In some countries laws are on the books to be enforced when activities become nuisances to the public. Granted, some things are dangerous and/or offensive and should not be permitted at all while others can be tolerated and allow for some leeway to a certain extent.

Perhaps this can best be illustrated with an example of restaurant and food concessions being required permits, zoning requirements, and health and safety inspections. This would also include proper collection of all state and municipal sales tax - hence, a kid's lemonade stand cannot be tolerated when enforcing to the letter of the law. Free enterprise really is a thing of the past in the US and many places.

Americans demand laws be enforced to the letter and there can be no tolerance for variances. Many people are quick to make complaints and demand compliance. Also, any violation, however petty, carries monetary penalties so tight enforcement amounts to revenue enhancement. Policemen have become revenue collectors for their municipalities.

I myself just could no longer stand to live in such a regimented society. If we suggest selective enforcement over minor infringements that are not outright nuisances people immediately shout CORRUPTION! You demand police states and now you have one.

edit on 3-8-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ronnieray123

RECOGNIZE GANG MENTALITY how it effects people outside of it and DELETE THE BEHAVIOR from the force. This may help others who see police in a gang type way, due to some of their actions to become less hateful for them as they recognize that they are not a gang but there to protect.

As of now what I have observed many look @ police like a big gang and they don't try to trust them or their protections for many know THEY PROTECT THEMSELVES first, AND UNFORTUNATELY if you are part of a sensitive enough case there are sometimes police WHO are BROUGHT OFF TO FIND WITNESSES OF SENSITIVE CASES. So the police force just has to recognize they cannot act like other negative behaving factions of society because people will treat them accordingly and SET POSITIVE EXAMPLES (YES IT WILL BE HARD TO REPROGRAM MANY YEARS OF IGNORANCE BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE) however they must.

When I was in kindergarten there was a officer friendly who came to class passed out the little iron on patches and left a good example. But as I grew into a teen officer friendly didn't seem so friendly even had some put their hands on me as well yes I was a little wild as a teen but I didn't make sudden moves the one who punched me did it because I was not responding to his verbal disrespect with respect (THINK HE CALLED ME A FEMAL PART SMH ) so he felt if he hit me I would return the hit and then WHO KNOWS WHAT MAY HAVE HAPPENED next. But I TOOK THE PUNCH let him say his words as he eventually sent me on my way AND BEGAN TO ACCEPT THAT in the neighborhoods where my friends and family live some harsh urban neighborhoods that I was on my own and had to defend myself because they were really just GOING TO WORK W/O RECOGNIZING HOW MUCH THEY EFFECT SOCIETY and are needed.

join