Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

1995 Perspective, on Distractions What did we miss.

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Rant:
I was looking for some perspective on today's current events. 
Wondering why all the talk radio host are orgasming over Chick Fil A, going out of their way to mention the place and how good the food is. Then stirring up more hatred for fellow humans, and drafting consumers and employees of Chik Fil A  into a war they never wanted to be a part of. 
A nice way to divide Americans further on this issue.

Then we have a new trial of the century approaching when James Holmes trial starts. Reports already say that victims think the death penalty for Holmes is not enough. Not to mention talks of more gun control. 
More drama for us to tune into, more fear and hate propaganda coming, more sides of fences for us to fall on. 

It seems as if these events are being used to help distract and divide Americans, a way to guide our focus. Not that discussion and dissent are bad but, Americans are easily duped into emotional arguments, and egged on by the media to be outraged.  Other Significant events are too boring and get pushed back and are not discussed. 
That's one of the reasons I started checking out ATS, to find some alternative opinions and perspective. 

Action:
As I pondered the event that will be the James Holmes trial, I wondered what was happening in 1995 the year that OJ Simpson went to trial, the Trial of the Century. That fiasco produced absolutely nothing but more racial division and distrust in the US courts.(mini rant) So what events were overshadowed by that court room circus. What did we miss what did we loose focus on. 
It was only 6 years before 9/11, so maybe pieces were being put together that we would not have noticed. 
So I Wiki 1995 to get a historical perspective and found some interesting things.

Wiki 1995
Oklahoma City Bombing jumped out at me right away, Nobody missed that, but maybe the imploding of the Murrah Federal Building.
Some activity in the middle east, Iraq being questioned about WMD's, and Russia wanting to help them get weapons. 
For you HAARPr's, there were some significant earthquake and weather that year, including the White Earthquake in Chile.
Accidental missiles from Russia.
The Dow for the first time reached OVER 4,000, then over 5,000. (Woha)
The start of the WTO World Trade Organization.
We bailed out Mexico for $20 billion.
There was some world leader power shift, as Israel's prime minister was assassinated.
And of course The DVD was "announced". Ha

Theres lost more please check it out. Wiki 1995

Purpose of this thread:
That we learn from perspective and history. To recognize when we are getting distracted from reality. So this time around we can be one step ahead.

I'm not good with investigating facts and such so if someone wants to try and connect some dots or if you want to just reminisce, that's cool too. I thought you might enjoy going back, and use a little recent history for perspective on what is before us.  What would be the top stories on ATS back then?

So you know I was alive in 1995 just not very aware. I was too depressed and apathetic, locked in my room listening to Pearl Jam, and Alice N Chains. 

And yes this is my first thread. 

edit on 3-8-2012 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Well here is something I found interesting. It was definitely something the federal government wouldn't want the other states doing.

OKLAHOMA STATE SOVEREIGNTY ACT - 1995

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
A worthy thread. Good on you for this being your first one.

Before some might imply a grand conspiracy for these events to occur, perhaps the thought of them being overplayed and overvalued in the media makes more sense. Is there a reason these are such big stories in our current place in history?

Other tragic or eye catching events have happened with equal merit but received far less attention. So is it viewer demand or distraction? What are the really big current events going on that we might be distracted from?

Etc, etc...

Made me think a little but don't have time to go further. Good luck with your effort.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Our culture now is in such a hurry for information, something to chew on something to talk about, something to tweet. We have now so many outlets to get that information, and not only do we have access we have the ability to filter the news, so we can customize our media input. Talk radio and the MSM are already filtering to us the news that they want us to hear, that they want us to talk about. We can now stick our heads in the sand that feels the most comfortable.

Right now there is a pretty important battle going on In Syria, and the tensions between Isreal and the Palestinians is high. There is a debate about what the capital of Isreal is. The BBC refuses to list Jerusalem as the Capital of Isreal in their graphic maps they use for the Olympics. These are pretty boring but important events that might effect Americans at some point.

I found this from 1995 Bojinka Plot :
These minor and probably low priority on the news docket events would eventually get Americas attention 6 years later.

I'm no way saying my head is compleatly out of the sand and know what's going on. I'm just trying to watching from afar, figure out all the angles, get a feel for the landscape, so I can avoid the sand.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

Dear Observationalist,

You got a star, I am still reading your other posts. Be well.

new topics

top topics

join