It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I Love About the Olympics (American Perspective)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The thing I love most about watching the Olympics is this: Americans do not look the same.

We have people competing from all walks of life. When we compete against most countries (China) for example I find that they are all of the same race. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, as I hope that the absolute best athletes are the ones competing for every country -- regardless of race/ethnicity. I am not making claims of racism against any other country.

But honestly, I find it utterly beautiful when we field a team comprised of whites, blacks, Hispanics, and Asians. Not that it bothers me when I look at our all-white rowing team or our all-black basketball team. But I absolutely love watching our integrated teams dominate the competition against completely uniracial teams. It almost brings tears to my eyes. Specifically our women's volley ball. As a man that has no interest in women's sports at all, our indoor volleyball team is one hell of an exciting team to watch.

Just for reference I was born and raised in the Deep South. I am "liberal" on certain issues but if I were to be completely honest with myself and everyone else I would say that overall I lean more towards the "conservative" attitude.

So my question to fellow Americans and other nationalities alike, do you honestly enjoy watching the American melting pot of Olympic athletes compete? And do you enjoy when we win (against a country other than your own) due to to the fact that we are so much more integrated?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by theroguelion

I tell you what i don't like about the US when it comes to the Olympics. They are BAD losers

When the young Chinese girl won the swimming 400m Individual Medley the American coach said she had to have been taking drugs, She had been tested and found to be drug free,

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

I tell you what i don't like about the US when it comes to the Olympics. They are BAD losers

When the young Chinese girl won the swimming 400m Individual Medley the American coach said she had to have been taking drugs, She had been tested and found to be drug free,

www.dailymail.co.uk...

You are talking about one American coach, and saying that all Americans are bad losers. Come on man, I posted this with love for all peoples. My OP was very specific about the type of responses I wanted, and what you just said was completely off topic.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Why is it off topic? If you want to talk about the GOOD then you have to accept the BAD. There are two sides to every story.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

So my question to fellow Americans and other nationalities alike, do you honestly enjoy watching the American melting pot of Olympic athletes compete? And do you enjoy when we win (against a country other than your own) due to to the fact that we are so much more integrated?

I don't have to say anything else.

top topics

join