It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 34
<< 31  32  33   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I'm baffled that so many are unclear on this. Let me try and clear it up.

Firstly - do we know that other counties don't also identify their athletes by specifics? Would a Chinese announcer never say something like "So-and-so is the first woman from such-and-such province to win the gold!" ? anyway, on to my point/rant...

Many country's populations have a common heritage. When a Japanese person states "I'm a proud Japanese" that statement encompasses both geopolitical nationality and biological heritage. For Americans the two aren't always solely identical.

The USA is one of the few that is made up from a hodgepodge of peoples. So when somebody is refereed to or identifies themselves as "an African American" what it actually means is "an American from African Decent" ... "African American" is just easier to say. Same goes for Italian American, Mexican American, Chinese American etc.

But Africa isn't a country! True. Unfortunately many Americans originally from the continent of Africa were brought here against their will and their specific origins were never recorded. Also, the family groups were forcibly separated so there isn't even a verbal record to be passed down throughout the generations. So the best these folks can do is say their roots are African.

Maybe one day all of the people living in America will forget their origins and only identify with the land under their feet and the people living on it, but we're not quite there yet. Until then we'll have to deal with our parents saying things like "why don't you marry a nice (fill in your heritage) girl?"

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Originally posted by Tykonos

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by AutOmatIc

But she IS African American.

Have you asked her how she feels about it before speaking on her behalf?

What if she is proud to say "Im the first African American woman to do this"...

If thats the case, your tottally raining on her parade.

(Just an alternative view point, In my opinion, your drawing more attention to the fact, than the commentators did)

And if Phelps had said "I'm the first white American to ......" he's be called a racist.

Skin colour and ancestral heritage shouldn't be used to create division.

That makes no sense at all. Racism:

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:
theories of racism, prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior:

Stating your ethnicity IS NOT RACISM. Stating your ethnicity is better, is racism.

Geese peeps, we wonder why the worlds so backwards.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

This is about the most sane post in this ENTIRE thread!!

And for gosh sakes this is coming from a white man, who has eclipsed the I have heard everything in the world now!!

You heard it here first folks, first white male to have heard everything the world has to offer!!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Actually Tania Mann wqas recently identified as the first woman formula one driver on the television. As a healthy male and a black man i did not have a coronoary. It was newsworthy to me for about 1 second. My manhood is safe and I do not feel outraged or disgusted.

I cannot see why the OP got so bent about the gymnastics.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Tiger5 because: edit

edit on 8-8-2012 by Tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
i know ats frown on short posts but i dont know a lot about this issue.
i can see what OP is getting at,
if this young lady was on team kenya lets say,then it would be fine to point out that it was the first time anyone from kenya had got a gold in gymnastics, the fact that this gymnast was on team america makes it different its not the first time an american has won gold at this event,so i get the impression that they are trying to make out that black athletes are not good enough/gracefull enough to compete in a world class gymnastics competition, so this young lady was an anomaly or that she was just lucky which is a pretty deplorable thing to do.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
After watching the women's all-around gymnastics Olympic competition, I had honestly not given a thought to the race of any of the competitors until after Gabby Douglas won the gold, to which directly afterwards the commentator made well sure that everyone not forget that she is the first African American to win the gold in that particular event. Matter of fact...do a google search for "first African American to win gymnastics gold" and you will see a massive slew of articles and sites that are toting this disgusting line of racial separationism.

Baloney. There wasn't anything derogatory said about this young girl - just a mention of her proud roots. This is a great boon to young African American girls everywhere to give them hope for their future.

The race card was not played. You misunderstand the concept.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Thats LSM for you
I think they push us to be racist dont you ?
With all this self induced terrorisum and fear mongering
Lame Stream Media

EDIT+t to T
edit on 25/9/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33   >>

join