It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I don't believe this is the core of your anger anyway...but you need something to justify your fake outrage.

You can believe whatever you want about my core. I am the most openly racist and anti-racist person on ATS. I only temper my responses as much as I do to stay within the confines of the TandC. There are many things I don't mind admitting are racist tendencies, but at the same time I don't "hate" anyone based on their race and I often find myself being the only "white" guy in a crowd. You've been reading my posts long enough to know that I hang out with pro-athletes, and occasionally politicians, and other types of mixed crowds. You've surely read about the weekly parties at my house that often attract some famous athletes. Just last night as we watched Gabby win, there was a very good friend of mine, a black guy, a former Denver Bronco, former Green Bay Packer on the couch next to my mother watching the event with us. On the other couch was my very best friend that is from the former USSR, engaged to a black girl, and fighting cancer at age 30.

You can call me racist all you want, but the fact would remain that you are much more racist than I am, because you refuse to admit what things are actually racist instead of just playing the PC card.

You might be right about the "fake outrage" though. That is where my anger stems from. There is nothing worse than a bunch of white people crying about racism.

I challenge you to go out into the world and ask 50 black people if they think the term "African-American" is better or worse than just "black." Hell, ask them to describe what their best friend looks like, if he/she is black, they will say he/she is black, not african-american.

My anger has nothing to do with Gabby winning, I'm happy we got gold, I wish we would also have gotten bronze, I don't like the "2 per country" rule, because we had a very legitimate shot to sweep the event!! My anger is with political correctness in general, and with the stupid terminology that Costas used on the world stage. To me, it is embarrassing that he called her by that term. She is just an American.

Actually, if I were a true racist, wouldn't I be happy that he called her something different from me? Wouldn't I be celebrating the fact that she and I were not both just regular Americans? Aren't you the one happy that this two-time Gold medalist was once again marginalized and separated from the rest of us Americans by designating her as something different and something that makes it blatantly obvious that she is not just like the rest of the "Americans." Even without a picture of her, now everyone knows that she is part of a sub-culture, a different class, thanks to NBC and Bob Costas. Good for them, racists rejoice, they're still just "african-americans."

Who is really racist here?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Sure. If she was representing Africa America.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
reply to post by Sinny

That's culture

Indeed.

But is there not a correlation between culuture and race? With the exception of some individuals, as were all individual.

Not every Indian is a good cook, and not every English man drinks tea, but we generalise them due to congregation?

Anyway, that could have its own thesis written, we'll save it for a rainy day

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

The point (i think) is why does it even need to be mentioned?

It's not disimilar to publicly patting a disabled person on the back for climbing a mountain... as though a black person really stepped outside of what black people are usually capable of.

People are people, a bit of melanin in the skin does not change the abilities of an individual.

or are they really commenting on African American culture?

And why do we need to add words like 'African' to the moniker? they aren't African. Africa is a place not a race, you can be white and be African, you can be black and be chinese.

Again, the counter arguement has already been made for this;

It was a statistic. Nothing more nothing less.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

And you are still ignoring the fact that if he said "black" he would have offended people.

Funny how the only people he offended by saying "African American" seem to be white people and your convenient "black friends" who aren't here.

And please...tell me who I am being racist towards...I'd love to hear that. I know this is the common defense from people who have been called out and has no other defense...it's a childish and illogical one ( "no I'm not, you are")...but it is a common one.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Some people from India are blacker than most of my black friends.

I know an Indian that's almost purple.

So you think Gabby is a descendant of India???

I guess it's all the more reason to call her African American...since some Indian people are almost purple :shk:

For people to act offended because they said "African American" and have doubts that she is realy a descendant from Africa...is just an excuse.

It's just an outlet for their anger...it's a way for them to be mad about her winning and not having to say it's because she is black.

Racims is still alive...racists just have to get more creative. Only a racist would have a problem with anyone celebrating a first for any race.

Dude. You are missing the point.

She's an American. First and foremost.

She's an American just like the rest of her team.

The MSM is making it a point to single her out.

To me, that's racist.

So being an American citizen automatically means the US flag comes before her race and ancestory.

The Brainwashing sure worked on you.

Out of curiosity, are you a God fearing, Law abiding, Righ wing Repulican?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

And you are still ignoring the fact that if he said "black" he would have offended people.

Funny how the only people he offended by saying "African American" seem to be white people and your convenient "black friends" who aren't here.

And please...tell me who I am being racist towards...I'd love to hear that. I know this is the common defense from people who have been called out and has no other defense...it's a childish and illogical one ( "no I'm not, you are")...but it is a common one.

Actually, IMO, I think the world and "black" people are ready and waiting to be refered to as such.

I mean here in the UK we use the term black in society, we're not American so cannot say "African American", obviously.

But we don't go out our way to say "African Brit" or "Jamaican Brit"

That's just stoopid.

Come to think of it, isn't it just you Americans with the stigma surrounding the word black?

We also use the term "mix race" appropriatly.

I dread to imagine the funny look I'd get if I described my friend Jazmin as "Jamaican Brit".

Ha. I will and see what she says

edit on 3-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This is only a "problem" for suspect individuals. You see, racists cannot differentiate between acceptable, reasonable reference to racial difference or achievement, and the unacceptable kind.

Normal people can say "Hey, she's the first African to do well in the event, this is a big moment, people historically thought this wouldn't happen", just as normal people can point out that Christophe Lemaitre is the first white man to run the 100 in under 10 seconds.

But for racists who are denied the right to racially hate and distinguish on hate in everyday life, they cannot grasp that acknowledgements of difference and achievements by race is acceptable, so long as you're not a racist arse-bandit.

Racists just cannot wrap their head around this difference. They don't understand it. That's why racists cry more about racism than any other person. They're denied the right to racially hate, and so try to deny the right of others to acknowledge racial difference, physically or culturally.

Hence a racist might say "black people aren't intelligent enough to be quarter backs" and be called on it, but will become perplexed when others say "samoans make good footballers". They don't see the important difference. They think everything is a conspiracy against themselves.

If Christophe Lemaitre wins the 100 metre sprint you bet the fact he's white will be brought up, and rightly so. But for the racists this is a bad thing, because they perceive a hypocrisy that only exists in their minds.

Racist supremacists see a double standard that does not exist, that's why they're mad. They think there is a hypocrisy, but reasonable people know that there is not.

OP, go and cry about the BET awards

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Actually, IMO, I think the world and "black" people are ready and waiting to be refered to as such.

I mean here in the UK we use the term black in society, we're not American so cannot say "African American", obviously.

But we don't go out our way to say "African Brit" or "Jamaican Brit"

That's just stoopid.

Come to think of it, isn't it just you Americans with the stigma surrounding the word black?

We also use the term "mix race" appropriatly.

I dread to imagine the funny look I'd get if I described my friend Jazmin as "Jamaican Brit".

Ha. I will and see what she says

edit on 3-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

I am not sure if that is a racist thing though. I think it could be that Americans are just sad people with no identity.

Because you also get lots of white people clinging to their ancestral roots to feel better about themselves.

In America there's a lot of "Irish Americans" and "Italian Americans" and what not. Very very strange. IT's almost as if Americans secretly hate their country and the lack of culture, and so cling to some sort of past history.

So many Americans, black, white and brown, identify with their historical roots. It's odd. It doesn't really happen here. Sure, people whos parents or grand parents are from a certain place might recognise that fact, but its completely different in America.

As for names for black people in the UK, often black people from the carribean are referred to as Afro-Caribbean rather than black. You hear a lot about "Afro carribeans" and "west indians". But usually in a correct context

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

reply to post by Frankenchrist

Some people from India are blacker than most of my black friends.

I know an Indian that's almost purple.

So you think Gabby is a descendant of India???

I guess it's all the more reason to call her African American...since some Indian people are almost purple :shk:

For people to act offended because they said "African American" and have doubts that she is realy a descendant from Africa...is just an excuse.

It's just an outlet for their anger...it's a way for them to be mad about her winning and not having to say it's because she is black.

Racims is still alive...racists just have to get more creative. Only a racist would have a problem with anyone celebrating a first for any race.

Dude. You are missing the point.

She's an American. First and foremost.

She's an American just like the rest of her team.

The MSM is making it a point to single her out.

To me, that's racist.

So being an American citizen automatically means the US flag comes before her race and ancestory.

The Brainwashing sure worked on you.

Out of curiosity, are you a God fearing, Law abiding, Righ wing Repulican?

Nope. Furthest thing from a republican. I'm an independent government hating "Hispanic" Jewish American.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
When I see statements like those, I think to my self "wow, because they are black they were not supposed to achieve or accomplish such feats or succeed? ...and that is why it makes it special, because Blacks are not supposed to succeed?"

Basically what the MSM seems to be saying is "look everyone, an African American actually made it"

It's no surprise being MSM and all.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Anytime the MSM specifically goes out of their way to mention a certain race you should pay attention...and care, and ask yourself why?

According to your line of thought you should be offended if someone mentions what country the person won the gold medal for. *GASP* They said Micheal Phelps was an AMERICAN....They gave him a label, we are all human...why would they do that?

OP, I think you have some deep suited race issues. Especially if your first reaction to hearing a person mention someones race is to think that the statement is racist.
edit on 3-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Unless we talking about removing race from the census and applications and the such, we shouldn't complain about this.

America separates and groups us by race...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Not one of my Black friends is even slightly offended by the use of the term 'Black' - as I said before it's all about context.

and as a matter of fact a black co worker chastised my Irish American husband for calling him a African American one day, and then my husband came home and told me, his Austrian American/native American/black American, with DNA evidence of Viking blood wife the whole story.

So not all African Americans like the term, he told my husband, I am an American.

edit on 013131p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Freeborn

Not one of my Black friends is even slightly offended by the use of the term 'Black' - as I said before it's all about context.

and as a matter of fact a black co worker chastised my Irish American husband for calling him a African American one day, and then my husband came home and told me, his Austrian American/native American/black American, with DNA evidence of Viking blood wife the whole story.

So not all African Americans like the term, he told my husband, I am an American.

edit on 013131p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

That's exactly what I hear. I've never heard anyone that was fond of the term "African-American." I have no idea how it suddenly became the PC term, but it certainly is not some endearing term that everyone accepts willingly.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
ATS makes me sick sometimes. If there is a black crime thread there is little outrage about mentioning the perpetrator was black. If its something positive like this, nearly everyone cries about the race being brought up.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

Actually, no. Any time that someone's accomplishment is based on their race first, and their accomplishment second, it's highlighting the racial divide.

We need to stop identifying people by their racial heritage first and as Americans second. You're all "Americans".

You never hear the term "African-Canadian" now, do you?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
ATS makes me sick sometimes. If there is a black crime thread there is little outrage about mentioning the perpetrator was black. If its something positive like this, nearly everyone cries about the race being brought up.

If the perpetrator is already caught, then I totally agree with you. Their race doesn't belong in the news, or anywhere else, that is entirely racist to make it an issue in the story.

Now, if they are still looking for them, then a physical description is entirely necessary and "African-American" is not even sufficient then. We need to know if they are light or dark skinned, male, female, tall, short, fat, skinny, and what clothes they were wearing when last seen.

In this Olympics story, it wasn't necessary at all.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Exactly.

And then when they are called out on it...they say they are just concerned that calling them African American is offensive to them...and of course...then they will call you the racist for calling out their racism.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

In this Olympics story, it wasn't necessary at all.

Yes it was...because it was a milestone.

And now you are backtracking...now you don't think the story is necessary at all

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join