It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Just another disgusting racist thread on ATS.

Look at all the racist outraged that she is being HONORED for being the first African American athlete to win...yes...it is a big deal...it breaks down walls and shows that America is still making steps towards equality.

But...I bet the OP and all the others that are "outraged" by this are just fine pointing out someones race when it comes to crime.

Seconded.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

You know who is making it a "race issue"...YOU.

A brief comment from Costas after the event...a less than 5 second spot on the broadcast...and you make a ranting thread about how YOU don't want to hear about her race...even though she has done something that NO other black person in the WORLD has done...you don't want to hear about it.

Why don't you want to hear about it...in my opinion...because you are racist and you don't care to hear about positive things blacks do in the world.

So you come here to ATS, where you know you will find plenty of other racists to back you up using their vieled language of hate...and look at that...you get it.

It's a FIRST...a FIRST is always talked about...if an athlete from Ireland won the women's all around...they would have noted it was the FIRST time Ireland had won the gold in the event.

But since it was the FIRST black person who won it and they noted it, and just briefly noted it...didn't make it the centerpiece of the broadcast...you are offended and outraged....ON FREAKING BELIEVABLE.

So yes...I think you and all the others in this thread that are outraged are racist...now let's see your pathetic denials.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Just another disgusting racist thread on ATS.

Look at all the racist outraged that she is being HONORED for being the first African American athlete to win...yes...it is a big deal...it breaks down walls and shows that America is still making steps towards equality.

But...I bet the OP and all the others that are "outraged" by this are just fine pointing out someones race when it comes to crime.

Those walls were already broken down when Dominique Daws made the damn squad a while back.

Did we all forget about Dominique?
edit on 3-8-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

What racist outrage? I only see a debate on race.

To celebrate a race, you are indeed saying there is an important difference to be had between races. There isn't, we are all the same human beings.

Like with black or white pride, why the need to be proud of something you have no control over and can't change?

Culture is another matter, we can all change our culture so pride or distaste in that is fine!

edit on 3-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

How about we all stop trying to guess if the "walls" were already brought down.

And we all stop making assumptions, I've defended the other side of the argument for arguements sake (and my own belief)

Tell you what, shall I locate her email, and see how she feels regarding the subject? It can be settled once and for all then, aye?

I still stand firm in my belief, the only person who made a big deal of it is the OP, who was flag hunting, its not like she came out and said she was offended, actually, from what I've read so far, a lot of you white Americans seem offended her ethnicity had to be mentioned.

Why? And don't say your defending her, because there no such inclination she was bothered, ill bet my life savings she was *proud* .

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

She is NO WHERE NEAR the first "African-American" (whatever that is) to win gold. There are real Africans dominating sports in the Olympics.

She is the black person to win the women's all around gold.

This is just a pure fact. They announce "firsts" for everything else....why are people only offended by this first??? Hmmm...curious.

There are people there from every race and nationality in the world! It is not any kind of accomplishment for an American of a different color to win on that stage, because that stage has people from every race, creed, color, and nationality!! THAT IS KIND OF THE WHOLE POINT of the games isn't it?

Wow...yes...everyone is equal and has the exact same opportunities

50 years ago blacks had very few rights...but a whole generation since then...they should just get over it because now they are "equal"...they don't have any disadvantage from being systematically held down for 100s of years...it's been 50 years since we decided that they can actually attend college...those lazy bastards...they should be doing just as good as whites now.

Honestly...you live in a fantasy world. Unfortunately, you have a lot of people living right there with you.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Those walls were already broken down when Dominique Daws made the damn squad a while back.

Did we all forget about Dominique?

Oh right...you already had your token black person...the are now 100% equal...so let's not acknowledge any other "firsts" for them.

Did Daws win the women's all around??? Oh that's right...it's enough that she made the squad and she was black...let's stop talking about it now.

Warped minds...it's frightening how many there are of you guys.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

they should be doing just as good as whites now.

You see people in black and white.

link   
reply to post by Tykonos

Why can't we *celebrate* race? LOL

As far as I'm concerned, I celebrate the Indians for bringing me good food, the Chinese for being great tourists, the Irish for being great party animals, the English for tea and bacon, the Americans for my TV, the Scotts for the Bagpipes, and the Italians for their good lookin men etc etc etc.

Race can be celebrated, that's not racism.

link   
Some people are clearly bothered when the first time accomplishments of black people are mentioned.

Why shouldn't it be mentioned? When anything of significance happens for the first time it should be recognized.

MSM wasn't "pulling a race card" as you put it. The media is discussing that a blackperson has never won gold in that event. What's the big deal?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I saw this on the BBC too and thought it was a bit inappropriate. Does she even have any African heritage ? You cant assume someone is African American just because they are black.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

That's culture

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

To celebrate a race, you are indeed saying there is an important difference to be had between races. There isn't, we are all the same human beings.

There was no "race" being celebrated...what was being celebrated is that a "race" that was enslaved and systematically held down by laws passed by our country has finally climbed out of that disadvantage to do something that they have not been able to do in history.

No one in the media said "she won because she is black and they are better"...they are saying "For the first time, a black girl has been able to succeed where no other black girl has been able to".

I honestly think the people that are outraged by this are outraged because she is black and won...not just because they mentioned it in a less than 5 second comment after the event as a footnote.

Honestly...you guys are mad about a footnote...ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Some people are clearly bothered when the first time accomplishments of black people are mentioned. Why shouldn't it be mentioned? When anything of significance happens for the first time it should be recognized.

Because they are making skin colour an issue when it shouldn't be.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I honestly think the people that are outraged by this are outraged because she is black and won...not just because they mentioned it in a less than 5 second comment after the event as a footnote.

To be fair, this is about more than just that one comment. Well it is to me.

Like I've said in a previous post.

When our Brits compete or watching others, I don't think in terms of skin colour or race, just the Country they are competing from. How that's racist I don't know.

link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
She is NO WHERE NEAR the first "African-American" (whatever that is) to win gold. There are real Africans dominating sports in the Olympics.

Get off it......she's the first black woman to win in her event in GYMNASTICS - read the post(s) again - unless of course you are mis-reading things intentionally in the first place - so in that case it won't matter...........
edit on 3-8-2012 by Vitruvian because: spell/check

link   
Whats so bad about that? She was the first African-American to win gymnastic gold, there will never be another AfricanAmerican to be the first to do so, so you wont have to sit through that again.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

50 years ago blacks had very few rights...but a whole generation since then...they should just get over it because now they are "equal"...they don't have any disadvantage from being systematically held down for 100s of years...it's been 50 years since we decided that they can actually attend college...those lazy bastards...they should be doing just as good as whites now.

This is all a purely US perspective. Other countries are entirely different. The Olympics are WORLDWIDE.

There was another thread not too long ago where someone claimed black athletes had an advantage in track and field. People there argued vehemently that it had nothing to do with access to facilities or opportunities. I was one of the few mentioning things like gymnastics and golf and swimming require access to the facilities, good coaching, and a cultural interest in the sport before minorities will do well at them. BUT in that thread, people said it didn't matter.

NOW, here you are saying it does matter. Which is it?

My issue here is that they call a black girl, born in the US, with US parents, an "African-American" on a grand stage where every country and continent is represented. How is she an "African-American?" She just isn't. There is nothing African about her.

If they want to make this a "first," then I want to know what Michael Phelps heritage is, and I want to know what that little dark-complected girl that got 4th place is, and I want to know if the Men's all-around guy was considered a "Cuban-American." (Although, CNN did crack me up when they made it a point to say he wasn't related to Fidel Castro!
) Good god, this stuff has gotten out of hand, why can't they just be judged on their performance?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

You missed the point. We shouldn't even be looking at her race at all. We should only be looking at the fact that she is an amazing athlete, the fact that she is African American shouldn't even be mentioned...ever.

Thats actually quite an absurd notion...I wouldn't be surprised if you would also think its racist to call a black person black, a white person white...etc...

I could just as easily argue that our differences whatever they be, should be celebrated and not censored as you so passionately wish...Its called diversity and its not a bad thing. There is nothing bad about acknowledging color differences, its only bad when you believe one is better than the other...

Your racial sensitivity is what is causing the "racial" issue to be an "issue" because you refuse to acknowledge simple differences due to an extreme over-sensitivity to the issue...

I bet during the month of February you just flip your lid and lose your s***
edit on 3-8-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Some people are clearly bothered when the first time accomplishments of black people are mentioned.

Why shouldn't it be mentioned? When anything of significance happens for the first time it should be recognized.

MSM wasn't "pulling a race card" as you put it. The media is discussing that a blackperson has never won gold in that event. What's the big deal?

That is exactly why they are upset...the media is saying something positive about a black person.

You don't hear this outrage when there is a crime and the media mentions the persons race...in fact...someone usually makes it a point to make a thread on ATS about it and specifically mention "black". Here are some examples of recent ATS threads.

Florida black man murders unarmed white father in front of 8yr old daughter in park

Did you hear about the white Marine recently killed by 4 black men? Of course not!

Black Mob of over 300 raid and steal in Walmart

Ironically...I don't see the same people who are outraged over honoring gabby as the first black to win in those threads being outraged over them putting "black" in the title of these threads.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join