It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ComeFindMe
Even though we compete as 'Team GB' and are a 'British' team, i've still seen and heard numerous references to a medal winner being the first Welshman to win this, or the first Scot since 1962 to get a medal in that...etc.

I don't think there is anything in it. The MSM get criticised for generalising, then they try to add a little more specificity and they get this...

Yeah but to be fair, they are Welsh or Scottish born, whilst representing GB The young lady in question was born in America.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

Actually Irish Americans are commented on a lot, we're the blacks of Europe remember.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

For pity's sake, millions of Americans call themselves Irish Americans or Italian Americans - it's something that is exclusive to the USA.
All my grandparents were Irish, I was born in England and consider myself English first and British a close second, (yes I know, most Americans etc don't get that but that's not the topic under discussion) - if I were to call myself Irish English I would quite rightly be ridiculed by both English and Irish.

African American is a PC term that has come into everyday use in the US as far as I can see.

Not one of my Black friends is even slightly offended by the use of the term 'Black' - as I said before it's all about context.
And there was no racist context in this comment - it was a statement of fact.

Seems to me like some people just like to make an issue out of nothing so that they think they can be seen to be PC etc.
Other's seem to want to see 'something' in everything and want to be thought of as the people who 'get it' and we are all just blind and ignorant.
It's all complete and utter bollocks and detracts from the real and genuine issues which we should be addressing.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

That's actually a very valid point.

My general point was that the initial identification of someone as being of a particular nationality is not always the same identification that they, or their fans, may prefer.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by Tykonos

For pity's sake, millions of Americans call themselves Irish Americans or Italian Americans - it's something that is exclusive to the USA.
All my grandparents were Irish, I was born in England and consider myself English first and British a close second, (yes I know, most Americans etc don't get that but that's not the topic under discussion) - if I were to call myself Irish English I would quite rightly be ridiculed by both English and Irish.

African American is a PC term that has come into everyday use in the US as far as I can see.

Not one of my Black friends is even slightly offended by the use of the term 'Black' - as I said before it's all about context.
And there was no racist context in this comment - it was a statement of fact.

Seems to me like some people just like to make an issue out of nothing so that they think they can be seen to be PC etc.
Other's seem to want to see 'something' in everything and want to be thought of as the people who 'get it' and we are all just blind and ignorant.
It's all complete and utter bollocks and detracts from the real and genuine issues which we should be addressing.

Calm down

I'm not making an issue out of nothing, it's an observation on an issue that the OP raised. As for wanting to be 'seen' as PC, then I'd be supporting the African American category. That is very PC.

I can see it's a cultural thing in the US re: the Irish American/ Italian American etc and yes the African American does seem like a new thing. Though to be fair, I very rarely hear those that you've mentioned like that of the African American term.

To me Americans are all Americans, yes even those ones in Texas.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ComeFindMe
reply to post by Tykonos

That's actually a very valid point.

My general point was that the initial identification of someone as being of a particular nationality is not always the same identification that they, or their fans, may prefer.

That's true for the people born of another Country to the one they are living in or representing in the Games.

It doesn't make sense to me how anyone can identify themselves as being African when they haven't been born there or spent some considerable time living there.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
How many generations does it take for an Italian-American to define him or herself as just an American?

What if along those generations they are born of an Asian line somewhere along the way?
edit on 3-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
She was the first African American to win the gold in that particular event.

She was, and she is. I don't get the big deal. Maybe you (OP) never thought once about her race/heritage but that does not change the facts, besides which you knew it just by looking at her...what about a blind person who was following the games? Or a blind African-American/black child that might be inspired by an athlete that they can relate to, even if only by shared heritage?

It's OK to mention a persons heritage without it being part of some grand scheme to separate us. Stop feeding into the madness.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

You know, I saw that last night when it happened.
I could not believe they said that. I am white, a conservative independent and live in Alabama and not one time did I even think about race when she was performing. I told my wife that it is pathetic that they even said something about it. How about them saying something about the amazing achievement of being so young and winning the Gold Medal.

For the most part it is the Democrats that will not let the race thing go. Most whites understand that all people are created equal and we respect that. However, the liberals are constantly telling us that blacks are not equal. You may ask, "How are they telling us that?" Well, they are constantly pushing race into the media.

Conclusion: Do not take the bait. Make it a non-issue because it truly is a non-issue. Honor and respect the young lady for her accomplishment not her color. She worked, trained, sacrificed and dedicated herself to a goal and she achieved that. She just accomplished more in the first 15 years of her life than the average person will in their entire life.

Liberals, get it through your thick heads......Race = Non-Issue

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I even think about race when she was performing.
reply to post by NoSoup4U

That's what I don't think.

Most whites

Whites, blacks......'sigh' ...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
She was the first African American to win the gold in that particular event.

She was, and she is. I don't get the big deal. Maybe you (OP) never thought once about her race/heritage but that does not change the facts, besides which you knew it just by looking at her...what about a blind person who was following the games? Or a blind African-American/black child that might be inspired by an athlete that they can relate to, even if only by shared heritage?

It's OK to mention a persons heritage without it being part of some grand scheme to separate us. Stop feeding into the madness.

You are completely delusional if you think that the media and TPTB do not constantly have a scheme and agenda. That is what these people do. They control the masses through words and not force. Our military uses the same tactics in war! How do I know that? I was in the military for 10 years and I saw it happen. Please, please.....wake up!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It was stated further back in this post that she IS African-American. Was she born in Africa then immigrated to the US?

If not then she is an American apart of the US Olympic team. The more they push the racial divisions the more they are just that divisions. Segregating the population in different niches and creating an irrelevant divide.

Regardless of the issue at hand I congratulate her on an AMAZING Performance!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by NoSoup4U

OK, so war tactics are being used to mind control people watching the Olympics. Yeah, I'm delusional...

So the answer is to never mention anything about anyone except their name...wait, that might hint at their heritage! Let's eliminate the use of names and give the competitors a number. Also we can't show the actual video because we'd see the skin color and all sorts of other stuff, so let's recreate a stick figure cartoon and broadcast that! Now we're all the same! Kimbiya!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

Actually you are wrong. People like the OP didnt make a deal out of it. People like the OP did not see a black person with a gold medal. People like the OP saw just a person. It wasn't until the Media made a big deal about the fact that she was Black that her race was even noticed.

I personally like what Morgan Freeman had to say on the subject.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by florencenorthampton

The opening ceremonies had a lot of historical innacuracies because the times that were portrayed have a lot of dark issues surrounding them. Are you also going to complain that all the workers from the industrial revolution bit were adults? I mean there were clearly children working in those factories.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

It`s not that, everything in the UK from bbc to nhs they have to insist on putting a black and asian person in every advert because they are so scared that people would point the racist finger at them

i am not a racist, but when was the last time black or asian newspapers insisted on putting a white person in every leaflet or photo.. yep..cant remember can you

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I hate this transformation of britain from a society where people drink tea live in cottages etc, to this ghetto modern society.

I know it was never perfect in olden days, and we have a lot to be thankful for modern technology but seriously its like backstreet pakistan, the UK these days

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Originally posted by Sinny
Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

You missed the point. We shouldn't even be looking at her race at all. We should only be looking at the fact that she is an amazing athlete, the fact that she is African American shouldn't even be mentioned...ever.

I was confused by the whole statement by Costas. It didn't make any sense?

In the context of the Olympics, what exactly is an "African-American?" She isn't affiliated with Africa in the slightest way? She is just an American. If an African athlete won, then what would we call that?

If I were to win the Gold medal, would I be the first Scottish-Irish-Native American-Scandinavian to win a Gold? Hell, I probably would be! Do we even know if Gabby's ancestors came directly from Africa? Perhaps they came to America by way of Cuba, or South America, or Europe. Are their "African-Europeans?"

I understand that in the context of the PC crowd, inside the US, there is a term "African American" which may not be a very useful or accurate term, but it sounds better than "black" or "negro," but in the context of a world-wide stage like the Olympics, where actual Africans are competing, then what the hell is an "African-American?"

If I were the world, especially an African, I would be offended.
edit on 3-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Honestly I hadnt even thought about Race, until I read this post. I was just proud that she won, and brought a gold home with her. Wait to go Gabbey. There is no reason we should even be talking about her Race, IT DOESNT MATTER

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
So if a European American (descendants of Europe, which is most whites in america) would win the 100 meter dash, would they point out that "he is the first white person to win this event in 50 years". (i do not know if this is true or not, but i was just making the point)

I agree with the OP, When I see someone, I do not see white or black or brown or pink or purple or green or what ever, I see a person. Yes there are times I see a cultural difference, and because of segregation a lot of times that cultural difference is related to race, but I also see cultural differences within the race of a person such as Northern states and southern states.

To point out the that she is black or (African American) is only instilling in people's head that "hey she is different than us, but good job anyways".

Disgusts me.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Or jamaica even.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join