It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I can say that is a very crude distortion and some would argue even racist to make such a sweeping genralisation. That comment is however ignorant of a most salient fact. African Americans come in all shapes, sizes and bone densities as do most Africans. Infact Africa has the widest variation of body types on the planet.

Also a "white"skin does not prove that someone is pure white as this concept has been disproven by the human genome project. The same goes for a very dark black skin... Sadly the bigots of both black and white skin tones have a helluva of a lot in common with each other and a lot less than us ordinary working folk (irregardless of colour).

Left to me I would frankly put all you haters (black and white) in a big arena with various edged weapons and then execute the survivors (black and white). Our economies are dying. I do not trust the Chinese government. We are poisoning ourselves and calling it progress...We are completely confused as to what to do. Our governments are showing their incomptenece on a daily basis and we are expected to she MSM latest antics as a massive conspiracy????

Sheesh

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

Wow, blowing a gasket or what?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Anytime the MSM specifically goes out of their way to mention a certain race you should pay attention...

Why should I?

I have absolutely zero respect for MSM but you are really reading far more in to this than is actually there.

The FACT is that this gymnast is the first 'African American' to win gold at that event.
Black gymnasts are a rarity, for various reasons.
Her success should be celebrated.

and care, and ask yourself why?

I ask myself why people are so hung up over people's colour.

Just like one previous poster pointed out...why didn't they say "Phelps is the first Caucasian American to win more medals than anyone" ...?

Because whilst Phelps is an amazing swimmer and a great Olympian the vast majority of swimmers are White.
If a Black swimmer won a swimming gold it would be big news.

When Usian Bolt or Yohan Blake win the 100metres no-one will mention the fact that they are Black, but if a White person won it would be news, pretty straight forward and no big deal.

No racism, no hidden agenda.

I find it ironic and quite bizarre that lots of the people who make an issue over this also support things like the Black Police Officers Association etc.

ETA.
I suspect that the main reasons not many Black people take part in gymnastics is more to do with social issues than their physical make-up which is as broad and varied as White peoples.
edit on 3/8/12 by Freeborn because: Add ETA and clarity

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Ya well the powers that be are eugenicists so to them this is extremely important. could factor into why

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Anytime the MSM specifically goes out of their way to mention a certain race you should pay attention...

Why should I?

I have absolutely zero respect for MSM but you are really reading far more in to this than is actually there.

The FACT is that this gymnast is the first 'African American' to win gold at that event.

Just like one previous poster pointed out...why didn't they say "Phelps is the first Caucasian American to win more medals than anyone" ...?

Because whilst Phelps is an amazing swimmer and a great Olympian the vast majority of swimmers are White.

When Usian Bolt or Yohan Blake win the 100metres no-one will mention the fact that they are Black, but if a White person won it would be news, pretty straight forward and no big deal.

I find it ironic and quite bizarre that lots of the people who make an issue over this also support things like the Black Police Officers Association etc.

I respectfully disagree. If a white person should happen to win the 100 m there would be no big deal made of it. If white people make great accomplishments their skin color isn't mentioned at all, at least not here in the United States.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

Well, can't speak about the US but I think if it would be mentioned here in the UK if a white person won the Olympics 100metres.
I suspect the same can be said about most countries.

So no-one has made an issue of the success of Ryan Lochte or Micheal Phelps in the USA?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Well, can't speak about the US but I think if it would be mentioned here in the UK if a white person won the Olympics 100metres.
I suspect the same can be said about most countries.

So no-one has made an issue of the success of Ryan Lochte or Micheal Phelps in the USA?

Here is what I suspect would happen if a white guy would win the 100 m dash. If the white guy was from the USA it would just be another gold for the Americans, hoorah

If it were a white guy from a country that had never won the race before, I'm sure there would be a big deal made of it but only because of the nationality, not because of race.

Here in the USA to say "African American" is just the politically correct way of saying black. Now I can't say what would happen in the UK if a white person from your country won, but our media wouldn't dare bring skin color into it, that would be an evil omen. However, it's ok for the reversal here in the good ole USA, you see?

I don't know where the OP is from but I suspect here in the states so I can understand why he/she is sick of the media doing this. I only hope that someday we can all move past this issue of skin color and just celebrate someone's accomplishments because of their individual talents.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

Left to me I would frankly put all you haters (black and white) in a big arena with various edged weapons and then execute the survivors (black and white). Our economies are dying. I do not trust the Chinese government. We are poisoning ourselves and calling it progress...We are completely confused as to what to do. Our governments are showing their incomptenece on a daily basis and we are expected to she MSM latest antics as a massive conspiracy????

And the award for "Over Reaction of the Decade".....goes to!............Tiger5!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Originally posted by Sinny

Originally posted by drbatstein
They have insulted all African American's, whoever said this should be sacked and fined

This threads completely baffling me
how's it insulting to say "First African American to win" ??

We've had input from a black person who said they are *proud*.

Isn't it more insulting that you think its insulting to be proud of being African American?

Or am I really on another planet?

Because this post is about how the MSM made a concious effort to point out her race....and as far as I know from watching all of the Olympics so far they didn't do that for Phelps or any other races that have won....what about Missy Franklin? She is a Caucasian American who won gold yet they did not point out her race...

Well, there's 2 flaws there.

1) The MSN didn't do anything, a commentator made the comment, who is an individual.

2) The caucasian is question wasn't the "first" .

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903

Why should I?

I respectfully disagree. If a white person should happen to win the 100 m there would be no big deal made of it. If white people make great accomplishments their skin color isn't mentioned at all, at least not here in the United States.

Actually a white Scotts man won the 100m in 1980, regular competetors boycotted the Olympics, leaving this man:

en.wikipedia.org...

To Shock and Awe the world.

That was a big deal.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

OP, and fellow Brit above, please address my question : Say that was me on the Podium, and the commentator said, "First young Celt to win in this competetion", Would you have made this thread then, because he refered to *my* ethnicity?

I'd think, wtf are they banging on about.

It means nothing.

The young lady, (well done on her btw) is an American.

If she was born in Africa and then emigrated to the US, then the use of African American is correct.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Originally posted by Tykonos
reply to post by Sinny

I'm a Brit.

You can twaddle on about the definition of a word until the cows some home.

The fact is the term racism "is used by most people" to describe what I'm referring to.

Well then, you of all people should be using the Oxford definition, and if your a Brit, how can you comment on what the Americans do and dont do? Especially calling them out as racists

I can have an opinion just like you have.

The definition of the word racism is used and accepted in its use, to cover more than the Oxford dictionary's definition. Words develop in their use, that's why we update dictionaries, even the Oxford one.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Our media here picks their golden children before the Olympics even start and just promotes the heck out of these people until everyone in American knows their names and what they hopefully will accomplish. In 2008 leading up to the Olympics all we heard was Phelps, Phelps, and more Phelps. I vaguely remember hearing nothing but the name Michael Johnson before he ever won his gold medal/medals.

I don't particularly care so much about country pride and us winning, I just enjoy watching certain events and the achievements made by athletes, regardless of nationality.

In short, the media here tells us what they want us to hear.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I'm not saying a big issue would be made of it but it would certainly be mentioned - Black people have dominated sprinting for decades, of course it's news worthy, but that's it - and I honestly can't see what's wrong with that.
No-one's making claims of racial superiority or derogatory remarks etc.

None of this should detract from this gymansts achievements.

reply to post by Sinny

Most sports fans in the UK are well aware of Alan Wells and his 1980 victory.

Many people tried to devalue his victory as the US were absent from the Moscow games yet a week after the games finished Wells went out and beat all the US athletes who would have competed.

Following the Moscow Olympics, there was a general feeling that Wells's gold medal had been devalued by the boycott of the games; however afterwards he beat all-comers after the games in Germany, which included the best American sprinters[2] Mel Lattany, Stanley Floyd, Carl Lewis and Harvey Glance

He is the only non-Black athlete to have won Olympic 100metres gold in the last 50 years.

Personally I think we are getting distracted from the real issues of why, as a rule, Black people don't participate in gymnastics and why people are so hung up about people's colour.

If people say they aren't bothered about a person's skin colour why do they then choose to ignore it instead of simply recognising it for what it is?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The opening ceremony on the bbc was worse..
Every skit or scene had a black man or woman at the front, and the camera would always zoom in on the person, every 5 seconds to remind you that they are `politically correct.

Even when they had the people dressed in top hats and victorian Britain clothing, they still had a black man right at the front who the camera zoomed on, it looked so out of place, you dont see any photos at all in the archives of britain of black men dressed in a suit with a top hat, i`m not being racist, its just the same as you dont seem archive pictures of a white person dressed up as a zulu warrior do you?

I am all for racial equality, but i am NOT for people having a huge chip on their shoulder and feeling the need every five minutes to keep reminding people that they are not racist!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Reply to post by florencenorthampton

The opening ceremonies had a lot of historical innacuracies because the times that were portrayed have a lot of dark issues surrounding them. Are you also going to complain that all the workers from the industrial revolution bit were adults? I mean there were clearly children working in those factories.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Sorry, I think he has got you on this one. By pointing out a obvious racial difference they are keeping it at the forefront of our minds. When was the last time you heard someone referred to as an IrishAmerican? But who knows, maybe she was born in Kenya lol. Let's get her birth certificate and see if she really is eligible to represent the US as an "AfricanAmerican". Complete and utter nonsense, all of it.

edit on 3-8-2012 by ezekielken because: typo

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This is just making a big deal out of nothing.

Its nothing more than an additional snippet of information to go along with the fact that she won.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Even though we compete as 'Team GB' and are a 'British' team, i've still seen and heard numerous references to a medal winner being the first Welshman to win this, or the first Scot since 1962 to get a medal in that...etc.

I don't think there is anything in it. The MSM get criticised for generalising, then they try to add a little more specificity and they get this...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Personally I think we are getting distracted from the real issues of why, as a rule, Black people don't participate in gymnastics and why people are so hung up about people's colour. If people say they aren't bothered about a person's skin colour why do they then choose to ignore it instead of simply recognising it for what it is?

Genetically, races do have differences, some diseases effect certain racial types whilst not affecting others.

There's a race of people, forgive me I can't recall, possibly living up in the Himalaya's who live at high altitude (obviously). They don't suffer from altitude sickness due to their genetic make-up.

These differences are very minor and to the every-day person, such a difference isn't worth making a defining separation between each other.

We live in a multi-cultural society, where races mix like they haven't before in our history. Race or skin colour shouldn't be a division putting people into differing groups when at the end of the day, it means nothing but breeds racism. By promoting difference in both, you create and allow people the right to make racist remarks?

edit on 3-8-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join