It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Can you name some of these people?

Post a couple links?

And I'm talking about athletics from America. Like maybe a Lebanese-American, Irish-American, Chinese-American, or whatever of that sort.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

I'll be the first to rant about how it is exhausting for us to constantly have racial nonsense crammed into our psyche every chance they get.

But this is really no big deal to me. No big deal if they said something like 'the first norweigian ever to win a medal.' or whatever. I don't consider it racially divisive to say she is the first African American to win. Or if someone is he first woman. Or the first nationality or what have you.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Exactly the answers I would have given.

reply to post by GaspardUlliel

There have been many examples throughout this thread of racial, ethnic, gender and national firsts. There are also many more if you look for it.

Just a few that have been listed in this thread:
Asian American
African American
White Jamaican
White American
Indigenous Australian
Chinese Australian
Chinese Malaysian
Muslim Female

Originally posted by GaspardUlliel
What if a person choses not to consider themselves any racial or ethnic category, do you believe that this person has "self-hatred" issues?

No, some people don't associate with racial or ethnic groups at all, which is a personal characteristic of the individual. Some associate more with nationality, some with gender, etc.

That doesn't mean that we should deny or denigrate if an association is made, ether by self-association, or external association, especially if the association was a positive thing.

For example, I am quite mixed in my heritage. In terms of "race" or "ethnicity", I am Italian, German, Russian, Irish and Polish, with some Moorish blood in my distant past. I also carry 3 citizenships; Australian, US and Italian.

Primarily I associate myself as Australian, and then all the others (nationality and ethnicity) in varying degrees depending on circumstance. It wouldn't be surprising if I didn't associate with any due to the mongrel that I am, and even if I didn't I would not hate myself for my lack of association.

Cheers
;-)
edit on 4-8-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GaspardUlliel

And I'm talking about athletics from America. Like maybe a Lebanese-American, Irish-American, Chinese-American, or whatever of that sort.

Dr. Samuel ("Sammy") Lee (born August 1, 1920) is the first Asian American to win an Olympic gold medal for the United States[1] and the first man to win back-to-back gold medals in Olympic platform diving.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Originally posted by drbatstein
They have insulted all African American's, whoever said this should be sacked and fined

This threads completely baffling me
how's it insulting to say "First African American to win" ??

We've had input from a black person who said they are *proud*.

Isn't it more insulting that you think its insulting to be proud of being African American?

Or am I really on another planet?

Hey, well, I see your point but, if we simplify the language we get:

"i'm proud to be black"

Surely you can see that this is divisive... To be proud of oneself for achieving is one thing, to be proud of your skin colour is something I find disconcerting as it highlights the differences that we are apparently trying to get people to disregard and suggests that being black (or white, or whatever) is special and should be celebrated...

"I am proud to be white"

I can guarantee the kinds of assumptions people would make about me if I went round saying something like this...

It's like those groups for specific sections of society "Asian men's group" or "African American's club" etc.... How is that helping?!
I understand that people want to get together with people who share similar life experiences, culture, are more likely to have things in common etc and that's great BUT it has the unfortunate effect of dividing society along the very lines these groups are so against....

"we want equality for the disabled, we want to be treated the same, no deficits no privileges.... Let's set up a disabled person's group!"

It perpetuates the very thing that they're against....

I can't say I have an alternative solution but... Yeah... Seems silly to me...

Another reason that bringing this woman's race into it is divisive is because it implies a victory for African Americans and, in order to have a victory you have to be in a contest.... In this case, it's a race contest... "yay! Chalk one up for the African American's guys!"

Blergh.....

It's like someone posted in a thread on the recent executive order by BA regarding education:

Now that a black president wants to do something for his people….JUST LIKE WHITE PRESIDENTS HAVE DONE, NOW ITS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN THE WORLD.

His people?

I was under the impression that 'his people' were the American people....

We need to stop seeing black people and white people and start seeing human beings... There will always be a reason to point out someone's race of we want to, there'll always be a "she's the first African American to......." or equivalent.... For the world to change and improve it has to stop at some point so, let's stop now....

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

I'll be the first to rant about how it is exhausting for us to constantly have racial nonsense crammed into our psyche every chance they get.

But this is really no big deal to me. No big deal if they said something like 'the first norweigian ever to win a medal.' or whatever. I don't consider it racially divisive to say she is the first African American to win. Or if someone is he first woman. Or the first nationality or what have you.

Nationality and race are two different things... The example you give isn't equivalent... "The first Norwegian" is equivalent to "the first American" or "the first Britain" the equivalent to "the first African American" would be "the first black Norwegian.." does that not sound as though you're unnecessarily mentioning the Norwegiean's skin colour there?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

This is going to sound like a very dumb question but what does MSM stand for? I know that TPTB stand for "the powers that be" but not sure on this MSM one lol.
Thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Milkflavour

this woman's

You called her a woman. You are being divisive.

Why cant we all just be human?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

this woman's

It's not the same thing at all... And if you think it is then i'm not going to bother arguing with you... You can take anything to an extreme if you choose, and you did here, to try and make clever sounding remark... Well, congratulations....

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Milkflavour

this woman's

It's not the same thing at all... And if you think it is then i'm not going to bother arguing with you... You can take anything to an extreme if you choose, and you did here, to try and make clever sounding remark... Well, congratulations....

I consider acknowledging sex as being divisive. I ask that no one mention it ever. Thank you.
edit on 4-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

It's not the same thing at all

It is exactly the same thing.

You are fine when a first is celebrated for any other label...except for African American...I wonder why that is????

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Milkflavour

this woman's

I consider acknowledging sex as being divisive. I ask that no one mention it ever. Thank you.
edit on 4-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

*sigh* I see you're going to insist on making pathetic one liners to try and seem smart so, I'll make a short reply... I can't be bothered to go through every single reason why these two things are totally different so, I'll just start with the most obvious...

I was using "this woman.." as a descriptive word, do you know what that means? It's this thing we have that helps us to help other people to identify something we're talking about (stop me if I'm getting too technical here)... I wasn't using it to HIGHLIGHT a specific aspect of who she is but merely to DESCRIBE who I was talking about.
The point that this thread is discussing is that the media HIGHLIGHTED her race and was making an issue of it and wasn't simply using it (as it would have also been unnecessary in this context) to DESCRIBE her...

Now, take a minute and allow that to sink into your brain then maybe, if it's not too much trouble, take some time to consider in what OTHER ways might these two things be different as I'm done spoon feeding you....
edit on 4-8-2012 by Milkflavour because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Of course it's not the same thing. I used them as analogies.

I don't see how saying she is the first African American to win the gold is 'the race card.'

Now, if you stated you thought she was not a very good gymnist and someone said you only don't think so since she is black then that would be the race card. IMO

Much ado about nothing. It's like saying the first female in space.

Not a big deal. Don't be so sensitive about race that you find yourself exactly where they want you. That is what is divisive.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

It's not the same thing at all

It is exactly the same thing.

You are fine when a first is celebrated for any other label...except for African American...I wonder why that is????

1) it isn't

2) where did I say that?

You have absolutely no idea about me at all and simply made something up to make it sound like you were making a valid point.... FAIL...

Go back and pick out where I said I was fine??? I'll wait....

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I was using "this woman.." as a descriptive word, do you know what that means? It's this thing we have that helps us to help other people to identify sometime we're talking about (stop me if I'm getting too technical here)... I wasn't using it to HIGHLIGHT a specific aspect of who she is but merely to DESCRIBE who I was talking about.

According to this thread descriptive terms are being divisive. Just like "African-American" is a descriptive term, so is "woman".

You have offend all humans and are dividing us further by making the distinction. Please stop being divisive.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Of course it's not the same thing. I used them as analogies.

I don't see how saying she is the first African American to win the gold is 'the race card.'

Now, if you stated you thought she was not a very good gymnist and someone said you only don't think so since she is black then that would be the race card. IMO

Much ado about nothing. It's like saying the first female in space.

Not a big deal. Don't be so sensitive about race that you find yourself exactly where they want you. That is what is divisive.

Hey, I didn't say it was 'the race card', that was the OP... I was saying its unnecessary and I think, if you read my post, I made a reasonable case as to why I think it is.... That's just my opinion and you obviously have a different one... I just feel that, whilst we continue to point these things out we perpetuate divisions along lines that have, historically cause some serious issues...

And I'm not sensitive about race, I couldn't care less what race or skin colour or trousers someone wears, it doesn't affect me so, whatever.... I live my life without prejudice as much as is humanly possible....
edit on 4-8-2012 by Milkflavour because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Until we get to the point where we can all look at ourselves, and others as just human, I think we got a great deal of growing up as a species.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Until we get to the point where we can all look at ourselves, and others as just human, I think we got a great deal of growing up as a species.

I am not "just human" I am a unique human with a unique background.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I was using "this woman.." as a descriptive word, do you know what that means? It's this thing we have that helps us to help other people to identify sometime we're talking about (stop me if I'm getting too technical here)... I wasn't using it to HIGHLIGHT a specific aspect of who she is but merely to DESCRIBE who I was talking about.

According to this thread descriptive terms are being divisive. Just like "African-American" is a descriptive term, so is "woman".

You have offend all humans and are dividing us further by making the distinction. Please stop being divisive.

Wow... Are you deliberately being dense? The media were NOT using it as a descriptive term, they were using it to highlight a particular aspect of who she is.... It's a very, VERY simple difference... Please try to grasp it... It's important....

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
i thought we were taught its good to be different. this just keeps getting more and more confusing.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join