It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by HamrHeed

I am happy for her as she is a very talented girl and clearly works hard. It's sad that some people only want to celebrate her because she's black. If she was caucasian, it would be a totally different outcome. Self segregation makes me sick to my stomach. It's 2012, grow the f up

You said "she is a talented girl". You are being divisive.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

I am happy for her as she is a very talented girl and clearly works hard. It's sad that some people only want to celebrate her because she's black. If she was caucasian, it would be a totally different outcome.
Self segregation makes me sick to my stomach. It's 2012, grow the f up

Who said people aren't also celebrating her talent???

You seem to live in a black and white world...which would explain your racial tendencies.

Sorry, I'm not a racist even though you try to peg me as one. If you knew my past or anything about me, you wouldn't be trolling me with that bs.
Nice try. Defending oneself against slander isn't racism.
Thank you , come again..

Too soon?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

wtf are you talking about??

They are not celebrating because she is black. Can multiple reasons not exist side by side? Can one not celebrate her victory as an American AND as a black african american woman?? That is the point. Nobody is ignoring her victory as an American; but they are also noting - to your chagrin apparently - that she is the first black woman to win the event.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

I am happy for her as she is a very talented girl and clearly works hard. It's sad that some people only want to celebrate her because she's black. If she was caucasian, it would be a totally different outcome. Self segregation makes me sick to my stomach. It's 2012, grow the f up

You said "she is a talented girl". You are being divisive.

Who are you and why do you keep trolling me? Go away please.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Defending oneself against slander isn't racism.

You referred to yourself as an individual. You are being divisive.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

LOL! I know eh. These people cant say a word without contradicting themselves.

link   

Who are you and why do you keep trolling me? Go away please.

You are telling me to go away and calling me a troll. You are being divisive.

link   

Originally posted by dontreally

wtf are you talking about??

They are not celebrating because she is black. Can multiple reasons not exist side by side? Can one not celebrate her victory as an American AND as a black african american woman?? That is the point. Nobody is ignoring her victory as an American; but they are also noting - to your chagrin apparently - that she is the first black woman to win the event.

Sorry but you guys are going to have to try harder than this.. We know the games yall play.

edit: You really need to work on your projection too. Good thing this is the internet where your hate speech will be mostly ignored until someone comes to set you straight
edit on 4-8-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

We know the games yall play

You are referring to him as a group outside of your own. You are being divisive.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

You're missing the point of his sarcasm.

You want everyone to ignore ethnic-racial differences. Your argument against such thinking is that it is "divisive"; however, many people do not think divisive means "bad". They consider it an important element in American society, and more fundamentally, as a component of reality. Reality = differentiation (amidst a unity). Yes, we should all keep unity, love etc in central focus, but that doesn't mandate that we forget the distinctions that do exist. There are black people, and as a member of the black community, Gabi Douglas became the first member of that community to win a gold medal in womans gymnastics.

It's that simple. She is a Human Being, an American, and an African American, all rolled up into one person.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Liberals and the media by extension coddle minorities every time they use these qualifying phrases. It is a way of telling them "we know you aren't as good as the white majority, so we'll make special acknowledgements for you in the rare case that you do succeed."

It is as Plantation-master as you can get, yet the master and the slave never see it for what it is.

I'll send $5 to anyone on this site that can show me where Gabby was born in, or lived in Africa for a period of more than 30 days. That would make her African American, anything else is just pandering to her race's perceived shortcomings.

MLK is spinning in his grave. Content of their character, not the color of their skin.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Sorry, I'm not a racist

Your comments seem to suggest otherwise...plus...you are a Birther and seem to have an irrational hate for Obama.

And..you are upset that an African American just accomplished something no other African American has...and that seems to really bother you...it's very disgusting...and actually pretty sad.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by blacko

Liberals and the media

You a being divisive by making the distinction of "liberals".

link   
I'm a birther now too? Lol
This is just getting pathetic. Have fun in your fantasy land with curly and larry

Edit WINNING

editedit: you're portuguese? sad. I know many and they don't have prejudiced/ sloppy racial stances, politically.
I guess there are duds in every group. ah well

link   
If she was born in Africa and then moved to America then yes she would be an African American.I bet you any money if she went to Africa she would consider herself on American, the two cultures are vastly different.I can only speak for Irish Americans or Irish Canadians.they maybe of Irish decent but they are not Irish.There is a huge difference in the speech and way of life and social issues.If a white American went to Ireland then his/her offspring would be Irish and after 200 years there would be no question.Now if a black/African American went to Ireland and after 200 years would they be African American Irish.It starts to get ridiculous.Here is another one what if an African American went to Africa and after 200 years they would be Africans right or would they be American Africans.Lets face it, it is the skin colour that makes either of us stand out where ever we are and based on that people hate instead of looking at the person.It is sad really

This term African American came from a poem in with the emphasis on the last three letters of both words i can - i can but Jesse Jackson got a hold of it.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

you are a Birther

You are be... oh wait.. Outkast understands how to use descriptive and ancestral terms. Never mind.

NEXT!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blacko

Do you think that's what MLK meant? Do you think he wanted this whitewashing of differences?? In fact, MLK would be the first person to reject this stupidity that ignores differences. It's an extremely radical way of looking at things.

MLK fought for equality between RACES. Not that we should forget blacks and white and asians - these indeed should continue to be acknowledged and represented at a communal level - but that we shouldn't make MORAL JUDGEMENTS based on those considerations. He fought for basic human decency - for a rational estimation of a persons worth based on his SPIRITUAL qualities - and not on his physical appearance. But the former truth does not obviate the latters reality; A person can still be acknowledged as black as a matter of fact, and that person still does feel an affinity with other members of his community, just as I - as a portuguese Canadian - feel a nature kinship with other portuguese people. But that doesn't mean I forfeit all connection with non-portuguese people, or that I harbor racist feelings for others.

There's nothing I detest more than this radical leftist prejudice against ethnic, moral and cultural distinction. It is a very dangerous belief system that challenges the very fabric of reality.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

There's nothing I detest more than this radical leftist prejudice against ethnic, moral and cultural distinction. It is a very dangerous belief system that challenges the very fabric of reality.

I consider my self as a leftist(I am being divisive!), but I have never subscribe to, or indeed knew of, any leftist ideology that says we should not celebrate our own race or the races of others.

I was under the impression that the ideology "we should never discriminate based on race" was a part of both the left and right.
edit on 4-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I HAD to log into my account and reply to this topic because I feel as if some of you need a history lesson.

First of all, there is a difference between RACE and ETHNICITY. Please stop using it interchangeably, because they are not the same thing.

This girl's race maybe of a mixed origin. But because I'm not that good at classifying her just by her looks alone, I am going to put her under the "Negroid" race. That's her race for the people who think African-American is a race, in which it isn't. It's an ethnicity. Race =/= Ethnicity. Now, there are only a limited number of "races" within the social construction of humanity, while there are THOUSANDS of ethnicities in the world (with more being created everyday). Back to "races" as here they are listed:

Caucasoid
Negroid
Mongoloid
Uncertain (These are the Dravidian people and Sinhalese people)

There are subcategories within these "races" and people can be of mixed race origin.

Now, back to ethnicity, specifically the African-American one.
Now, you can be of mixed race and be a part of this ethnicity. For example, let's look at the singer and actress Lena Horne:

www.thecubiclechick.com...

Now it is VERY obvious that this woman has ancestry that is not just of the African origin. I know for a FACT, she has Native American and European origin, but she is classified (and I believe she classifies herself) as an African-American. That term doesn't mean that she isn't of mixed race. It's a term that someone has created to describe people who are the decedents of the West African slaves that were brought to the USA. (Personally I think it is very confusing terminology, but whatever.)

Now, I agree with the OP, that if this girl's ethnicity was to be stated for achieving the first of this competition, then other people's ethnicities should be announced too. To the people that argue that "well African-Americans were enslaved and were discriminated against...they deserve to be proud of how far they have come since then." I call bull and favoritism. Please, open a history book and learn that African-Americans weren't the only ethnicity in America to face such harsh circumstances. As I recall, the Irish and the Italians were very heavily discriminated against when they first came to America. The Natives Americans were the FIRST slaves that were picking cotton in the Southern part of America before they began shipping in slaves from Africa. And "colored" during the highly discriminatory age of the South, did NOT just mean "African-Americans", "Negro" or "black". It meant ANYONE of any ethnicity that wasn't "European-American", "Caucasian", or "white". That means the Japanese, Chinese, Native Americans, Mexicans that lived in the South (and there were people of the origin that lived there) had to drink from the SAME fountain that African-Americans drunk from. They had to sit in the back of the bus and they were called "tight-eyes" or "wetbacks" or "redskins" just like how the African-Americans were called the "n"- word.

Every ethnicity in the USA has been through hardships not just the "African-Americans". So, to somehow put forth the girl's ethnicity as being the first of her people to achieve such a goal, is silly, if they don't do it for others.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I consider my self as a leftist(I am being divisive!), but I have never subscribe to, or indeed knew of, any leftist ideology that says we should not celebrate our own race or the races of others.

I said 'radical' i.e FAR left; not left in general. Normal people can be left, center or right. It's when people start going off kilter into radical dimensions of social thought that they become classified as 'far' left or 'far' right.

I am as against far rightists (i.e. religious fundamentalists, racists etc) as I am far leftists.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join