It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Habit/Addiction With Numbers And Patterns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
So I just wanted to share a certain habit, or perhaps bordering on addiction, I have in my mind. I personally think that while it is a bit strange, and its persistence a bit annoying, it is actually helpful in my overall thinking abilities. It is this tendency I have to notice patterns in everything, or turn things into numbers which I can put into some sort of numerical configuration. The ways in which I do this most often are very 'silly,' or 'strange,' and therefore difficult to describe without sounding 'weird' lol. What I specifically do changes over time. For many years now I have created different 'games' over time where I do this. I just come up with some sort of game where I can convert things into numbers, and try to find some sort of pattern.

So, let me share my most recent game, just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Whenever some word comes into my mind, I turn every letter into the amount of clicks that would be required to make it in the letters-on-phone-keys configuration. I then try to break it down into some even number of groups, with the number of groups and the number of numbers in each group being as close to even as possible. For instance, 'number.' n=2, u=2, m=1, b=2, e=2, r=3, total=12, which can be broken down as 4 groups of 3. I usually proceed to visualize this being strung across a grid, like on a TV screen for instance, where there are 4 rows of 3 dots evenly distributed.

Beyond this, I always try to notice patterns and relationships whenever I see numbers. I also try to break them down into their most simple form, in terms of its ratio. Right now the time is 2:30. I instantly break this down to 1:15. Whenever I see a number, I try to find its square root. Say there were 96 of something. I would quickly think of 4 square roots of 6, which is its square root. Whenever I see a street address, I try to notice a pattern in its numbers. Also whenever I choose the volume or something like that, I try to make it squared number, or at least a multiple of 10. While some may think this is just 'weird' and that's that, I cannot help but think it is related to another ability I have. Basically, I am very good at seeing patterns in things that occur in the world, as well as relationships and patterns among concepts in 'different' ideologies. I cannot help but feel this general tendency in my mind to notice patterns and relationships between everything, though often in 'pointless' things, assists in my overall thinking abilities.
edit on 3-8-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

...that's a lot of thinking. Really. I think it's amazing you delve into such minutia in ordering things in your mind. Have you done this your whole life, I think it's so interesting.

Thanks for sharing. I'm curious, have you met other people with your talent, for it is a talent, a very unique one at that.

Des

edit on 3-8-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

...that's a lot of thinking. Really. I think it's amazing you delve into such minutia in ordering things in your mind. Have you done this your whole life, I think it's so interesting.

Thanks for sharing. I'm curious, have you met other people with your talent, for it is a talent, a very unique one at that.

Des

Thank you! I wasn't sure what other people would think of it lol. I have always done it, as far as I can remember. It's hard to say what stems from what, or what is related to what, but it may stem from or at least be related to another thing, involving numbers. As I went through math classes throughout life, I have never listened to the 'correct' way to do math, but have always came up with my own technique, by noticing patterns and relationships between numbers that I would be able to perform in my head. Idk. And no, I don't know anyone else who does this. Whenever I've explained my math techniques to people, they think it sounds complicated, and I've rarely tried tried to explain what I describe in OP.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

You did an excellent fob of explaining your gift. I'm the world's worst at math, what you said actually made sense to me. That's saying a lot. Do you find it useful in all aspects of your life? I know you probably don't have a comparison since you've always done this. But, surely you've had someone explain your gift in some terms to you?

To me, it seems you may have access to an area of your brain, maybe the rest of us don't.

Des

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Well, if you ever wanted to work for No Such Agency, I'd say your resume was received and watch for the men in black to arrive for a formal offer.

I'm only half kidding. You'd blow the curve on the ASVAB test. At least how I took it in 1995.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

You did an excellent fob of explaining your gift. I'm the world's worst at math, what you said actually made sense to me. That's saying a lot. Do you find it useful in all aspects of your life? I know you probably don't have a comparison since you've always done this. But, surely you've had someone explain your gift in some terms to you?

To me, it seems you may have access to an area of your brain, maybe the rest of us don't.

Des

Thank you
I do think it is very useful. My primary interest in life is philosophy/spirituality, as well as just discovering new ways to think of and organize things. What I consider to be probably the most important thing that I have come up with, is basically a classification system. My most important idea, that I have now come to be a major part in how I look at things, though have not fully developed, is essentially a classification system. Being an 'empty-slate' classification system, this definitely affects all areas of my thinking, and is basically a way of describing patterns and relationships in such a way with CONCEPTS, in an open-ended way that is only descriptive, rather than having a particular viewpoint.

Now when I have tried to explain the classification system, and how important and groundbreaking it could be, people do not understand its significance. I mean, I understand 'classification system' doesn't sound like much, but it is actually very significant. As I say, to me this is incredibly important, but people do not understand its significance. Now thinking about it from this angle, perhaps the reason I am able to see the significance and importance of a classification system, is BECAUSE I see so many patterns between things, and the necessity for organizing it all more efficiently. Perhaps if you do not see the patterns, you cannot see the importance of classification systems. I have said for a while now that 'It's nearly impossible understand the importance of classification systems without already understanding it on their own, cuz all thinking is defined by a classification system, including their analysis of a classification system.'

I've never really discussed this all with anyone, to have them give any feedback on it(if this is what you mean by"surely you've had someone explain your gift in some terms to you?"). This besides teachers/students throughout my life noticing that I am able to do math very very fast in my head.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Interesting stuff Journey. Have you seen the Jim Carrey film ' The Number 23 '

www.imdb.com...

I hope you don't have OCD. Make sure you stay in control of those habits.

I do a similar thing but with space, not numbers/patterns.

If I'm in a conventional type room or space with flat walls, my mind starts automatically bouncing energy off the corners, junctions and where-ever there is a flat surface. I am not entirely comfortable with this, I prefer to be in nature where there is no flat surfaces and the energy is more dynamic and flowing.

I am very good with Feng-Shui. I am quite intuitive when it comes to the arrangement/placement of objects or subject within a spacial context.

S & F

* Ned

edit on 3-8-2012 by nimbinned because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

Oh great now you did it... I watched the trailer then did a search number 23

■Julius Caesar was stabbed 23 times when he was killed.
■Olof Palme was shot around 23:23 local time (give or take 1.5 minutes).
■The Earth is inclined on it's orbital plane by 23.5 degrees. The "point-five" can be represented as 5 = 2 + 3.
■The Number 23, is the 23rd Movie directed by Joel Schumacher. It was also released in the United Stated on February 23, 2007.
■Serial killer Ted Bundy was allegedly executed on January 23, 1989. The records show that he was actually executed January 24, 1989 at 7:16 AM (7 + 16 = 23).
■The sum of the first 23 primes is 874, which is divisible by 23.
■There were 23 problems on David Hilbert's famous list of unsolved mathematical problems, presented to the International Congress of Mathematicians in Paris in 1900
■The first message sent by telegraph was a quotation from the Book of Numbers, chapter 23, verse 23
■23 is the width of the Arecibo Message, sent into Space in search of Extraterrestrial Intelligence.
■23 is the TCP/IP port used for Telnet and is the default for the Telnet command.
■The 23rd president of the USA had 23 letters in his full name
■the letter W has 2 points down and 3 up = 23 and is also bellow the numbers 2 and 3 or 23 it is also the 23rd letter of the alphabet

In the movie Jeepers Creepers the creature gets to feed every 23 years for 23 days.

• There were 23 members in the music group The Beatles. They each had 23 letters in their names. They released 23 albums together, each containing 23 songs. They all died at the age of 23. Also, they would eat 23 meals a day.

• The date that the Titanic sank, 4/15/1912, 4+1+5+1+9+1+2=23.

• The date the Twin Towers were hit, 9/11/2001, 9+11+2+1=23.

• It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate through the human body

• The tilt of Earth’s axis is roughly 23 degrees.

• A human baby receives 23 chromosomes from each parent.

• The 23rd letter of the English alphabet is W. On a QWERTY keyboard, W lies directly below the two and three.

• December 23, 2012 is the day the classic Mayans said the world would end.

• Five (2+3) is an immensely significant number in all ancient and some modern rites and rituals.

• The average head of human hair can support 23 tons of weight.

• 2/3=0.666 (The Devil’s number)

1. Each parent contributes 23 chromosomes to the DNA of a child.
2. It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate throughout the entire body.
3. In humans, the 23rd chromosome determines gender.
4. There are 23 letters in the Latin alphabet.
5. Julius Caesar was stabbed 23 times when he was assassinated.
6. The Knights Templar had 23 Grand Masters.
7. William Shakespeare was born on April 23, 1564.
8. William Shakespeare died on April 23, 1616.
9. The Titanic sank on the morning of April 15, 1912 (all the figures add up to 23)
10. Kurt Cobain was born in 1967 and died in 1994 (the numbers of both years add up to 23)

12/21/2012

12+21=23
2+0=2 1+2= 3... 23 oh noes! make it stop!

two ATS threads

other thread

I guess I know what Iam doing for the next 23 hours & 23 min. LOL

edit on 3-8-2012 by lunchmanstan because: oh noes again I was born Dec 11 12+11 = Nooooooo! 23

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by lunchmanstan

I was thinking about mentioning "23", was a bit concerned about you doing all of what you just did.

I actually have habit of "knowing" if a number is a Prime, nearly instantly. Sounds easy, but i can actually figure it out if even a 5 digit number is/isn't in under 10 seconds. I'm not sure when it started, I just remember the Prime Number classes in grade school being like a great magic trick I could execute with ease.

I also SUUUCK at math. It took me 5 tries to complete College Algera. I seriously suck.

I had a friend that was able to tell someone their name backwards.

I've been told its something a brilliant mind does to occupy itself. Challenge yourself. The Fibbinochi Sequence is fun too. That is starting to occupy my head (several of those numbers are Prime, I've tried not to look too far, just in case I get in there too).

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

my friend, having literally dealt with the same problem for over 7 years. I will happy tell you you are a synesthete no doubt. Look it up, read about it, take some tests and you can begin to move on to understanding how your brain works and use it to your advantage. everybodies symptoms are different, some moreso than others, i simply offered what i think is the case as either way it can help you better understand yourself. trust me, i use the numbers to uhm, peculiar ends. haha , a lot of online resources make the most prevelant form of it their definition most of the time, which involves associating colors with other senses and vice versa, but the term applies to a wide range of symptoms,as i dont know your peculiar set of experiences in life i cant tell you whether or not you experience other forms of it with sound and smell and time perception etc. but in most synesthetes there is more than one type of symptom/connection.
edit on 3-8-2012 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
and by the way if you are going through this peculiar experience trust me, the jim carrey movie is not going to help you at all.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by lunchmanstan

Woops, sorry about that man - don't burn out a brain cell over it.

23 does happen to be my favourite number. When I played soccer I had to have 23 on my jersey. Of course there are a lot of famous sports people who wear/wore the number 23. I think Michael Jordon started this craze.

Peace Out

* Ned

PS - Also this year 2012 could be seen as the number 23 (2+0= 2, 1+2= 3)

edit on 3-8-2012 by nimbinned because: just because

top topics

join