It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Bigotry Is Destroying America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Bigotry is a subject that really gets me angry,

Let's face it... we don't really see much textbook bigotry in this world any longer. We see hatred and fear. We hate what doesn't agree with us and we fear that which we cannot agree with.

In other words, it's intolerance that is the issue. Intolerance and ignorance.

As for whether or not it's destroying our country? It might be one of the spices in the pot... but it's certainly not hte only one and I don't think it's even one of the main indredients. If you're disenfranchised or excepted, then it doesn't matter if you're white, black, gay, Indian, a bad dresser, or anything else... it just means that the problems of others are being projected, unfairly, onto you.

Let's fix our economy - get some sort of sensible government in place... and then let's talk about how we need to embrace and not reject our differences.

Just my off the top of my head thoughts...

~Heff
edit on 8/6/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
Bigotry is a subject that really gets me angry,

Let's face it... we don't really see much textbook bigotry in this world any longer. We see hatred and fear. We hate what doesn't agree with us and we fear that which we cannot agree with.

And there we have the liberal conundrum. You cannot enforce tolerance with the restrictions of the very freedoms you wish to defend.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

To be clear, I have no wish to enforce tolerance of anything. I believe that people have a right to whatever opinions or ideas they wish to harbor. I do, however, believe that we need basic protections against people being able to socially excersize their opinions in certain situations - like hiring, providing services, renting or selling of property, etc.

My point is that if we spent time, as individuals, realizing that offense is a two way street -one has to be seeking offense to be offended in the first place ( most of the time ) - and learning to understand our own roles in that process... there would be much less hatred and bigotry in this world.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Good to see in this election year, with an economy in crisis, America is really concentrating on the big issues.

Now I'm just hungry for chicken.

Issue. . . what?

ETA; Is hating bigots, bigotry?
edit on 6-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Superhans

To be clear, I have no wish to enforce tolerance of anything. I believe that people have a right to whatever opinions or ideas they wish to harbor.

Just talking, I was not saying that you were saying that, im sorry if it came off that way.

I do, however, believe that we need basic protections against people being able to socially excersize their opinions in certain situations - like hiring, providing services, renting or selling of property, etc.

Now this is where the water gets muddy. Now you can have a house and if I come in you can make me leave for what ever reason you want. It can be because of my race,religion or maybe you just don't like me. Now we all agree we have that right, the right to remove people from your property. Now if you own a restaurant , why does this right to say what who does what on our property suddenly vannish? Im not saying that it is morally right to discriminate but I think people should have the freedom to manage what they own, and if people do not like it they can vote with their wallets. Realisticly that would solve a lot of problems, how long do you think a big corporation like starbucks would last if they openly stated "We will no longer serve blacks, LBGT community or Jews"? Not very long.
It may sound backwards but its not, what we have is backwards with things like quotas in the workplace we have forced places to hire people less suited for the job in the name of "equality".

My point is that if we spent time, as individuals, realizing that offense is a two way street -one has to be seeking offense to be offended in the first place ( most of the time ) - and learning to understand our own roles in that process... there would be much less hatred and bigotry in this world.

~Heff

I fully agree, I must say that nearly every "race related" news story I hear these days is fabricated or immagined.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by silent thunder

tbh, I didn't even know what it was all about, just kept seeing "Chick Fill a" on my Twitter trends. I thought it was an American hip hop artist at first, but after finding out a little more I find out It's a fast food restaurant.

I suggest reading the entire article. It has nothing to do with the restaurant itself.

GLAAD President Herndon Graddick said the protest stems not from Cathy’s comments, but from the millions of dollars his company has poured into “anti-gay hate groups.”

In 2010, WinShape, the non-profit foundation created by Cathy and largely supported by Chick-fil-A, gave more than $1 million to the Marriage & Family Foundation and $37,000 to the National Institute of Marriage, both of which promote defining marriage as between one man and one woman.

abcnews.go.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join