It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Portlanders refuse to testify before grand jury after FBI raid

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This is my first post... so bear with me. There was a thread earlier this week discussing FBI raids in Portland looking for anti-government literature. The FBI has named to suspects who have refused to testify.

The FBI search warrant to enter the house last week is sealed, but The Oregonian reported it was found left at the residence after the raid. The search warrant shows police were looking for clothing, flags and other "anti-government or anarchist literature or material." Supporters say that's a violation of their freedom of speech and they believe the FBI raids and recent subpoenas are in connection to other raids in Olympia and Seattle as well as May Day vandalism to the federal courthouse in Seattle.

KATU.com

Do you think FBI resources should be used to search those who do not agree with the government?
So what do you think ATS?

edit on 8/2/12 by VikingWarlord because: Spelling

edit on 8/2/12 by VikingWarlord because: link fix

+23 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by VikingWarlord

As an American, and a Veteran I believe it is not only my right but my obligation to not only question but intentionally dissent against the .gov. they serve US! If and when such a time occurs that the .gov no longer serves the peoples ends, it is not only just and reasonable, but mandatory that new .gov be enacted, so as to serve the people and their ends in a more appropriate fashion.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Here's the link to their blog supposedly. It was offered by one of the commentors at your link.

Maybe this will help some of us make an informed comment.

No Political Repression

They seem to have a lot of support going by the list on their blog...
edit on 8/2/2012 by visualmiscreant because: added info

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
After going through some of their links on their website, It seems they are funded and supported by the Common Struggle Libertarian Communist Federation. It seems they aren't just citizens who disagree with the way the government runs things, but perhaps part of a communist revolution group. I don't know what to think about this raid anymore, I just didn't like the searching for "anti-government literature" part. Who makes the call in what is deemed anti-government?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Thanks, I saw it, but I do not know the rules regarding posting links to organizations, so I refrained.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Wow. I'm kinda paranoid about checking any further. This is a serious situation and I'm glad you pointed it out. I don't really want my IP address associated with that any further though; at least not right now.

I will keep up with the thread though to see what others are thinking...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

I know right
I started snooping around there, and then decided I currently enjoy raidless nights and staying off lists.

edit on 8/2/12 by VikingWarlord because: spacing

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Good point, I don't know what definition of anti .gov they are using, or the details involved really as they are sealed at present.

All I know is, if it is as some think and they are not really some giant conspiracy group intent on the violent overthrow( lol like that is possible unless a majority of Americans support them( in which case I would say they are still justified as it is the citizens country to decide the laws they want in, not the .govs)) of the .gov than I still think they are right.

So in closing, I loath our current dictatorship, I support almost all dissent against it, and I can't wait to watch these pigs burn for the lives( not just Americans but many many peoples) they have destroyed, in the intrest of profits...err um national security.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by VikingWarlord
After going through some of their links on their website, It seems they are funded and supported by the Common Struggle Libertarian Communist Federation. It seems they aren't just citizens who disagree with the way the government runs things, but perhaps part of a communist revolution group. I don't know what to think about this raid anymore, I just didn't like the searching for "anti-government literature" part. Who makes the call in what is deemed anti-government?

"Funded by". From what I can tell, that groups is nothing more than a name.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I would definitely like to know if there is some sort of list floating around within the agencies of what literature fits their definition of anti-government. Even though there were several reasons for the raids listed on the warrant, it does raise some eyebrows when the type of books you posses could get you a knock on the door.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
As a vegetarian american I have literature against the prepared slaughter of multiple types of animals by our gov.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and I even log it in my computer storages and what not, but they should never ever be able to enter my house and search it based on literature being "Deemed" anti-gov.
Correspondence might be something different but standard literature; even correspondence without an actual plan to do illegal activities written within them. If disgruntled people are going to be criminals, then there are about 312,000,000 criminals in america now.
www.google.com...=en&client=opera&hs=C5p&r ls=en&channel=suggest&sa=X&ei=sVMbUKb9LYzqiwLXy4DoAQ&ved=0CGUQvwUoAQ&q=population+of+america&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=380c5034d918d02c&biw=12 73&bih=836

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I wore all black in honor of them yesterday =)

Cops kept looking at me walkin down the road haha.

Since when is it against the law to have an anti government stance? I hope those arrested get back at them for
stepping on their rights as free men.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Thanks for the background and coming back to mention that connection. I'd mentioned on another thread, if these were the group I figured, these aren't nice people at all.

America is for Americans to sort out and I'll get way ahead of the curve before it becomes a news story some day to discuss in saying, international help or support in Americas problems isn't needed or wanted.

The International Communist connection is entirely consistent with things I saw. I'll leave that there... Occupy is genuine and well meaning/intentioned to what I saw and who I knew in the core protesters. Elements within and definitely elements drawn around Occupy are very different things, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

The International Communist connection is entirely consistent with things I saw.

"International Communist connection"?

Where did you get that from?

It appears the 'group' you are referring to is called the "Common Struggle Libertarian Communist Federation." and are solely based in the north west US.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Well I have heard of them organizing and "giving support" to Black Bloc demonstrations that damaged several businesses. I don't know about International, but they have been implicated across America. Protest the government, but don't destroy mom and pop stores who worked hard for what they have.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Since when is it against the law to have an anti government stance?

If I had to guess I'd say since the day that the El Usurpador's took over the White House...

edit on 2-8-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Well I have heard of them organizing and "giving support" to Black Bloc demonstrations that damaged several businesses. I don't know about International, but they have been implicated across America. Protest the government, but don't destroy mom and pop stores who worked hard for what they have.

Yeah, I'm no fan of the co-opted 'black bloc' tactics which de-legitimize 'peaceful' protests. I'm just saying that the 'group' you are referring to, from what I can tell, doesnt seem all that well connected or funded. If you have any info that shows something different, id be interested to read it.

If so, then it's an interesting twist. Nonetheless, the government's actions add to a disturbing precedent.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

More of word of mouth through certain circles within Portland mainly, so nothing more than hearsay, so no formal connection. More to the point of the thread though, they shouldn't be hunted down for the books they read, rather the actions they take.

edit on 8/3/12 by VikingWarlord because: spelling

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Well I live in south-east Portland. Let me tell you, Portland is a very open minded city. It seems a bit superfluous to raid anything in specific. Every other house you walk into here is gonna have some type of "anti-government or anarchist material". Heck, I have a Chinese communist poster on my wall. Not because I support it, but I just like having cool historical posters from the cold war and stuff. I feel the FBI is going a little overboard looking for this stuff in a city whose motto is: "Keep Portland Weird".

Are police officers really going to protect the KKK during their "demonstrations". Yet people who are "anti-government" get arrested? What is a bigger threat "anti-equality" or "anti-government". This country needs to get it priorities straight.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

More of word of mouth through certain circles within Portland mainly, so nothing more than hearsay, so no formal connection. More to the point of the thread though, they shouldn't be hunted down for the books they read, rather the actions they take.

edit on 8/3/12 by VikingWarlord because: spelling

I'm interested in what the word of mouth is, too. I've been wondering for more than a decade where many of these professional anarchists get their funding from. And I saw that as someone who has been to several large demonstrations where said groups were doing there thing. (used to live in SE portland)
edit on 3-8-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join