It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Law in North Carolina Bans Latest Scientific Predictions of Sea-Level Rise

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

Wrong again. I gave you my real source which is the tide height in my home town. It has fallen over the past 30 years.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This might just be me, but is everyone else tired of the government getting involved in the scientific and medical fields? They have no business saying which theories should be allowed, credited or discredited since that is the purpose of PEER review. Also, to throw in I am tired of the government mandating medical procedures (forced ultra sounds for women who get abortions, doesn't have much to do with this article just overall governmental overstepping).

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I personally don't care what's causing it "Rising/Falling" You yourself suggested it could be a Solar related event. Fine, The point I'm making is that the Earth has for all of it's existence been Dynamic and change should be expected. Looking at it in the extremely short time frame of only 25, 50 or 100 years is very dangerous.

Some events happen slowly over decades while others quickly. We humans are along for the ride. Whats wrong with buckling up?

I guess time will tell.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

So what is the time frame for the rise in sea level? will it happen next week, next year, 100 years from now ?? You have to look at the time frame when this will occur. "Science" is not always right, there can be errors in it and considering that science can be used to push an agenda I don't know why everyone is up in arms about it.

Science.. can be wrong... I mean it can. It is not infallible.

So what is the rate of this sea level rise?
edit on 3-8-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

Global average sea level rose at an average rate of around 1.7 ± 0.3 mm per year from 1950 to 2009 and at a satellite-measured average rate of about 3.3 ± 0.4 mm per year from 1993 to 2009,[4] an increase on earlier estimates.[5] It is unclear whether the increased rate reflects an increase in the underlying long-term trend.[6]

en.wikipedia.org...
tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov...
ocean.nationalgeographic.com...
www.skepticalscience.com...
www.soest.hawaii.edu...

That science can be wrong or can be used to push an agenda does not give the government the right to deny any and all scientific findings or conjecture. Religion IS wrong and IS used to push agendas all day every day, so I sure hope you don't want to see more religion in the government.

You can never know the future 100%, but if we don't act on what could be a huge disaster based on tons of scientific evidence, we're idiots.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic
reply to post by votan

Global average sea level rose at an average rate of around 1.7 ± 0.3 mm per year from 1950 to 2009 and at a satellite-measured average rate of about 3.3 ± 0.4 mm per year from 1993 to 2009,[4] an increase on earlier estimates.[5] It is unclear whether the increased rate reflects an increase in the underlying long-term trend.[6]

en.wikipedia.org...
tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov...
ocean.nationalgeographic.com...
www.skepticalscience.com...
www.soest.hawaii.edu...

That science can be wrong or can be used to push an agenda does not give the government the right to deny any and all scientific findings or conjecture. Religion IS wrong and IS used to push agendas all day every day, so I sure hope you don't want to see more religion in the government.

You can never know the future 100%, but if we don't act on what could be a huge disaster based on tons of scientific evidence, we're idiots.

Science and religion are both used to push agendas.. Both are also banned or refuted if they do not follow an agenda. Science can also be followed as a religion as it is infallible to many and many people have blind faith when it comes to science.

Climate science kinda falls into the religion category more than any other as anytime anyone tries to question it as it is supposed to be questioned from a scientific point of view people are mocked and ridiculed. Just like religious zealots.

If you look on the net you can also find studies that disprove this "science" with other "science". They both can't be right but I thought science was infallible and we should dictate our life by the way some scientists interpret data and which variables they include or not include. Man it is sounding familiar to religion to an extent.. hmm interpretation of text.. manipulate it for an agenda.

YOu have to be a little more objective with science and stop taking it as the end all be all and always right.

Now should government had said no? well i am not sure exactly what they said no to. Passing laws is the norm for the USA why are you suprised?? so what does this law say about the science behind this sea level rising? If the law is to keep us from following science as blindly as religion then i am all for it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Welcome to another taste of what America will be like once the Christian theocrats are firmly in total control. (Too busy knocking my head against the wall for a 2nd line...)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Solution to rising coastal waters: Buy a houseboat to live in, people might laugh at you now, when they wake up swimming in water they won't be laughing anymore.

It's a well known fact the earths oceans are rising, too much archeaological evidence supporting a great flood type event occured and might possibly be occurring again on a smaller scale. I've heard projected water levels rising enough to flood low lying coastal areas under 20-30 feet of water by 2030 The poles are melting, that is a fact and one no government should be covering up.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Why dont they just build the homes a meter high?
thats the bottom of the house!
no more flooding.
um! best make that three meters if you plane to live thier for 80 years.
we should all be dead by then.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

actually yes i am basing it on my near photographic memory compared to some bs pseudo science research that several failed politicians are using to get their stupid carbon credit scheme some credibility myself am well versed in the sciences and i did some work in the 90s with the local riverkeepers. the only time in the last 35 years the sea level has raised up noticeably has been from storm events . the town of morehead city was built right on the water the sea has not taking any of its land from it in last 35 years there has been storm related flooding that has always receded . all our state is doing is not jump on the bs wagon.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Your pretend "near-photographic" memory is useless for everyone else, please see yourself out.

Your town is not necessarily indicative of the whole world.
edit on 3-8-2012 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
They can create all the laws they want, put their heads in the sand and deny all they want, but it's not going to stop the inevitable. Parts of Virginia are already sinking and flooding more and more often. Even where I live in Boston, I've noticed roads flooding at high tides quite often. They never flooded when I was young. The sea level is definitely much higher now.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Do you know the measurements you posted? Can you graphically represent that or give us some sort of metaphorical comparison?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
History isn't kind to the side that bans
scientific findings.

So true. Last time religion really controlled the western world people suffered the Inquisition, the Crusades, among other lesser known wars of actions. Is was not until the Renaissance that reason and science were able to pull the western world out of the Dark Ages. The U.S.A. was born out of the philosophies of the Age of Reason. Had our founders been zealots like modern day Republican Right instead of men of the Age of Reason, there never would have been a U.S.A.

Men like Ben Franklin were the pre-eminent scientists of their time. Jefferson, Madison and others were great thinkers and lovers of rationality. All of those guys would be shocked and ashamed of the rejection of science today, some 250 years beyond the Declaration!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I love my state but this is ridiculous, strange, and absolutely abuse of power well I guess I need to sell my beach house before it sinks underwater.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
So they did pass it did they?

I've posted they were considering it - www.abovetopsecret.com... - but I didnt' think they'd be quite so moronic....

Never underestimate the stupidity of government.
Wonder if some of them own ocean front properties, or have friends that do, and are protecting their investments.
No one is going to buy property that may wind up under water.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
We are all screwed this is the way the world runs. Public safety and mother earth are so far on the back burner they completely forgot about them. The world is run by service to self dbags who couldn't care less.
/rantoff

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

Wrong again. I gave you my real source which is the tide height in my home town. It has fallen over the past 30 years.

Which is completely irrelevant to the bill which bans using predictions.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
I dont get it? They are saying they dont want to believe sea levels will rise, because that will mean they cant build their massive, 4,000 sq ft homes right on the beach anymore? Thats REALLY their argument? Well, if you've ever been to Outer Banks, you would know these people live in a golf-course fantasy land.

Thats fine just means the less expensive home a mile or so inland will be seen as a steal when it becomes beachfront property

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Why don't those Throwback politicians in North Carolina save time and just accuse all scientists of being Witches and Warlocks, and burn them at the stake! Or maybe give them a fair trial and testing, such as tying them up, tossing them in the water, and if they float, they are Witches and Warlocks, and if they sink, their souls are redeemed (though they are still quite dead). Just Like Ol' Times!!!!!! Cultural progress is sooooo overrated! What was good enough for their great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfathers, should be good enough for them!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join