It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coven's Question of the Day - August 02, 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Welcome to my; omnipresent observatory

Witness lost souls; walk the path of purgatory

Watch where you tread; this ground is hallowed

Each one of these men; died at the gallows

But alas I feel; I've led you astray

Let us return to; Coven's question of the day!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coven's Question of the Day - August 02, 2012

Will we ever really achive an Artificial Intelligence or Artificial Cognisense?

Most of us know of chat bots that simulate intelligence.(for those who do not I will post some links) These are not actually AI/AC however, actually not even close. To be truly self aware is the pinnacle of AI/AC. A program that realizes it exists and that there are danger to that existence. That can change and evolve, to use a term, itself to deal with any foreseeable circumstance.

But is it actually possible to create sentient computer program, really? I think it would be inevitable that if this program was created it would invariably discern that we are its biggest threat.

I think the real question lies in what would it's course of action be? Would it attempt to communicate its desire to survive, and grow with us? Or would it decide that given our history we would not be able to accept the chance that we were no longer the dominate entity on the planet, and attempt to control or eliminate us?

Some linky's

www.youtube.com... - Michio on AI

alice.pandorabots.com... - ALICE chat bots - for more just google "chatbots"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The key issue as to whether or not a non-biological entity deserves rights really comes down to whether or not it's conscious.... Does it have feelings?" - RAY KURZWEIL, USA Today, Aug. 19, 2007

“The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else.” ― Eliezer Yudkowsky

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by coven83

some say the internet itself is a.i. evolving one code at a time held together by human interaction, when the internet has evolved enough it will do away with its human users

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Interesting take, I've never actually heard that.

It would instantaneously hold all the worlds knowledge if it is or does become aware...scary thought.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

I agree with you Doc. At what point do humans become obsolete...will it happen suddenly, or creep up on us, like aging.

I think AI is already pretty far advanced. Asimov's I Robot book series, is closer than we think.

Interesting things to ponder. I'm not young, the advancements I've see, the impact on everyday life, literally astound me.

Des

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by coven83

i had a dream about it, and every once in a while my dreams are informative as opposed to the classic silly dream, i had another dream of time travel. i said "some say" in hopes someone would be like hey i heard that as well, that way i could chalk it up to being a silly dream.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The first thing that pops in my mind is the character "Data" from Star Strek, next Generation...some interesting episodes that addressed this issue.

It seems computers can be programed to predict patterns of user behavior, figure out "odds"...but so far I would say the intellegenge is still the result of a human programmer, even though the program may ultimately have the capacity to to solve problems a human may not be capable of without the computers?

I would still define "true" intellegence as requiring critical thinking, tempered by emotions and empathy...but very interesting question Coven.......

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Oh how I wish it were true!

But no matter your definition Im sure you would agree that all humans are "Intelligent" at least compared to everything else , but rarely is intelligence tempered with compassion or empathy. Sadly it appears the opposite is most often the case.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
The first thing that pops in my mind is the character "Data" from Star Strek, next Generation...some interesting episodes that addressed this issue.

It seems computers can be programed to predict patterns of user behavior, figure out "odds"...but so far I would say the intellegenge is still the result of a human programmer, even though the program may ultimately have the capacity to to solve problems a human may not be capable of without the computers?

I would still define "true" intellegence as requiring critical thinking, tempered by emotions and empathy...but very interesting question Coven.......

Hehehehe...I was gonna reply with "Just look at Data! He is the best example of AI!"

Seriously, excellent question. Made me think of those chess playing computers from many years ago:

Chess playing computer

Chess seems like a distinctly human activity, requiring intelligence and thought, so how can a computer possibly do it? In this article, we will take a look at this question. What you will find is that computers don't really "play" chess like people do. A computer that is playing chess is not "thinking." Instead, it is calculating through a set of formulas that cause it to make good moves.

That got me to thinking about "Watson"

Building off decades of artificial-intelligence research, Watson pursues one well-trod path — broadly analyzing vast libraries of text for answers — rather than relying on deep structural knowledge of a very narrow area

"Compared to a human brain, Watson doesn't even come close in computational power,"

Originally posted by coven83
But is it actually possible to create sentient computer program, really?

Honestly, no. At least not at this time. While the technology has come a long way from computers being able to play chess, to "Watson", the program would still require human input. And, as we know, humans by nature are not perfect...

Would you, as a human, add to your programming the "ability to discern that we are its biggest threat"? I don't think I would...

edit on 3-8-2012 by edaced4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If AI ever did come about, it would probably start out like this....

www.newscientist.com...

A robot controlled by human brain cells could soon be trundling around a British lab, New Scientist has learned.
Kevin Warwick and Ben Whalley at the University of Reading, UK, have already used rat brain cells to control a simple wheeled robot.
Some 300,000 rat neurons grown in a nutrient broth and producing spikes of electrical activity were connected to the output of the robot's distance sensors. The neurons proved capable of steering the robot around a small enclosure

However if your talking something which is purely a machine, then it would all come down to the question of whether or not humans actual possess souls....

Why? Because if we do, then there will always be a range of yearnings, aspirations, emotions and intuitions that a robot will never possess, and therefore it will always be happy to do exactly as programmed. But if we do not then esentially we are all merely highly complex 'meat computers' and there is no reason this cannot be replicated artificially...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The rosy crucians study AI... I always wondered in what aspect

I love the references to Isaac Asimov, what a brilliant man.

new topics

join