It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New (Visa) Chips for Kids - Mums and Dads look out!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Visa is currently launching an all-in-one "chip & PIN" ID and debit card for kids & is about to hit here in Australia.

Visa has launched a special cash and identification card aimed at children as young as 12 in the UK and is expected to launch it across Australia “very soon”. Called the ‘Visa CitizenCard’, the card allows kids 12 years and older to control their spending habits with a prepaid, debit-like Visa and also displays their date of birth and photograph, the News Limited Network reports. Youngsters under the age of 16 have to get their parent's consent when applying for the product and will also have their spending habits monitored by them. Related: Can you trust kids with plastic money? The chip-and-pin Visa card was launched in Britain last month and Alan Shields, director of the strategic research firm RFi, told the Herald Sun that the chance of these cards debuting in Australia was high. "Linking a proof-of-age card with a pre-paid card is a good idea given if you are underage you might not have anything else that has your age on it,” said Mr Shields. "It seems very sensible and it's not pushing credit on to younger people.'' Related: Could this be the end of ATM fee forever How it works Money can be loaded onto the account and the card can be used for payment in shops and on the Internet. Some of the experts say the card is a good way of teaching children about responsible use of plastic money. The British CitizenCard does not attract monthly or annual account fees but does have an application fee of about $20.
Link........

Reflecting on the article, my concern is the underlying notion that the introduction of this card is yet another step on the march towards a "cashless" society where these card types will eventually lead to the implanted RFID.

There are many advantages (and disadvantages) in this type of technology being provided to the public - Convenience & Efficiency seem to be the mother of this invention.

As a parent of 2 children, I am in two minds about the implications of this "financial ID card" and whether I would consent to same for my kids if circumstances were presented to me to sway me.

As per the article, it is evident to me that this is indoctrination for kids towards money (and it is important for me personally that my kids understand and appreciate money and not to be stupid with it) but it is also apparently aimed at familiarizing children with cashless transactions.

Cashless is not my concern - control of life by others is.

edit on 2-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: Removed "Mark of the beast" comment and replaced with last line.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Dear Sublimecraft,

Reflecting on the article, my concern is the underlying notion that the introduction of this card is yet another step on the march towards a "cashless" society where these card types will eventually lead to the implanted RFID.

This does not so much lead to a cashless society as it allows us to test a way where kids can still have buying ability so that we will accept the cashless society as it is coming anyways. Sweden reportedly is doing away with cash in two years and England is getting rid of checks in one year. As for the RFID chip, it will not be accepted and by the way, it is not a mark. I am a Christian and I don't think it is the mark of the beast; however, I would not accept one anyways and neither would most people.

What we can expect is that all transactions will require your biometric identification and the use of an individual IP address being assigned to everyone worldwide (as one European country is already working on for their population).

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

As for the RFID chip, it will not be accepted

IF it comes, like it or not, it will be accepted. Just like the "quickening" of technological advances in the last 20 years alone suggest to me that implantable RFID's are inevitable (general public acceptance thereof) in my generation, imo.

What we can expect is that all transactions will require your biometric identification and the use of an individual IP address being assigned to everyone worldwide (as one European country is already working on for their population).

Which will lead to implants (for your own protection of course !!)
Thanks for your thoughts - its appreciated.

edit on 2-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Dear Sublimecraft,

Which will lead to implants (for your own protection of course !!) Thanks for your thoughts - its appreciated.

I disagree. It is like a magic trick, I want you to worry that I will microchip you when what I really want is everyone's biometric identification. You will willingly go with the biometrics in order to prevent the chipping. With biometrics I can find you anywhere and because people post pictures on the internet, I can find everyone who posted your picture, the location and all sorts of information about who you are and who you know. By getting people upset over the chips, they already given away their privacy and their biometric information. What sense would it make to attempt to chip everyone in the world and where is the infrastructure for such a thing? On the other hand, the Gates Foundation has spent half a billion dollars to provide for vaccinations in Africa and after the child is vaccinated, they take their picture with a cell phone and have their biometrics. That infrastructure is in place. In India they have already begun getting the biometrics of the whole country and we did the same thing in Afghanistan and Iraq. Peace.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Excuse me, but 16 year olds still live with their parents, and there is nothing that could give a card to my 16 year old, and make him responsible, nor me. Not even my government could do that, for it is unlawful, unconstitutional, betrays basic common law, and that is the only real law that even exists, and betrays their oath of office. So they'd be sued both criminally and personally.

It is actually time for people to get together locally, and become organized, throw a couple bucks in a hat together and kick some proverbial butt legally, and any corrupt cog in the system along the way, be it a judge or a hired poltician needs another buck dropped in the hat for some PI's to nail their buttside very hard.

Its a legal battle not a revolution that is needed. For their legislation is criminal and unlawful.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Sublimecraft,

Which will lead to implants (for your own protection of course !!) Thanks for your thoughts - its appreciated.

I disagree. It is like a magic trick, I want you to worry that I will microchip you when what I really want is everyone's biometric identification. You will willingly go with the biometrics in order to prevent the chipping. With biometrics I can find you anywhere and because people post pictures on the internet, I can find everyone who posted your picture, the location and all sorts of information about who you are and who you know. By getting people upset over the chips, they already given away their privacy and their biometric information. What sense would it make to attempt to chip everyone in the world and where is the infrastructure for such a thing? On the other hand, the Gates Foundation has spent half a billion dollars to provide for vaccinations in Africa and after the child is vaccinated, they take their picture with a cell phone and have their biometrics. That infrastructure is in place. In India they have already begun getting the biometrics of the whole country and we did the same thing in Afghanistan and Iraq. Peace.

Biometrics does indeed fit the bill when it comes to much of what I think about in regards to this scenario. Whether biometrics or otherwise, the "control" of my life and that of my children (by entities that do not have my best interests at heart) is my concern. Regardless of the technology, it is the use and ownership of personal info by said entities that is the focus of my angst.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

It is actually time for people to get together locally, and become organized, throw a couple bucks in a hat together and kick some proverbial butt legally, and any corrupt cog in the system along the way, be it a judge or a hired poltician needs another buck dropped in the hat for some PI's to nail their buttside very hard.

Indeed, that is definitely required.

Our fight is not on the battlefield but in the minds of men.

new topics

top topics

join