It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyperthermia on the rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
With the sweltering heat happening in the Midwest and no real relief in sight I wanted to bring to everyone's attention an important issue that needs to be brought to the forefront of everyone's minds.

Hyperthermia is a condition often resulting in death from extreme heat and dehydration.

Hyperthermia From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hyperthermia is an elevated body temperature due to failed thermoregulation. Hyperthermia occurs when the body produces or absorbs more heat than it can dissipate. When the elevated body temperatures are sufficiently high, hyperthermia is a medical emergency and requires immediate treatment to prevent disability or death.

en.wikipedia.org...

Children are being found in vehicles, animals are left in cars with out sufficient air circulation, and this seems to happen every year as summer arrives.

This year has been particularly dangerous and a simple google search will give you pages of the latest victims from infant to elderly.

Many elderly on fixed incomes have to make the choice to either eat or turn on the AC and before they know what has happened they become dehydrated and then tragedy strikes.

Infants and small children strapped into car seats are so helpless and vulnerable.

Pets love to ride in cars and can jump in without owners knowing, or in as owners get out. However they can also die from heat exhaustion by being held in a car with the windows only cracked due to lack of air circulation.

All I am saying here is to be extra careful, check on your neighbors, be extra vigilant to protect your pets and keep an eye out for abandoned children in vehicles.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Kind of a scant meager Op I know, but the message is from my heart and the subject is so important to those who are so vulnerable and at risk.

Please remember to stay alert when the heat gets your head in a fog, remind those close to you the same.

Everyone who has ever lost a loved one from this terrible tragic death would give their right arm if they could have just been given a reminder before they made that terrible mistake.

Talk to people, check on people and pets.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There's an old saying in the uk
"Only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun"

Something I've noticed recently is the hotter it gets the more people I see walking their dogs. I always give them a piece of my mind. I tell them to put their hand on the tarmac and feel how hot it is, then I ask them if their dogs have shoes?
I ask them if their dog will take its coat of if it gets too hot, then I ask them why their dog is panting.

I like dogs.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Are you saying dogs aren't supposed to be walked in the sun?...Because that's stupid.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hudson69

This is whats wrong with people today. Asking a question while already believeing a pre-concieved answer and then placing judgement. What's stupid is to not use critical thinking. He said when its SUPER hot during the day everyone should rest. Not be out in the heat. And try going outside when its 100 F or higher barefoot on the asphault.

Anyways, I get so angry when i see animals left in cars. I will either
A) Go into the store and ask for the owner over the loudspeaker
B)Call the cops
C) Get the animal out myself and blow the car up (jk on this one) ((but seriously))

I dont know what i would do if i saw a child. Id probably beat the parent until the stupid was exstinguished.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'm lucky to have gotten an AC unit installed as the heat started hitting real hard here in the Midwest. Stepping outside is like walking into an oven. You start sweating within a minute, and the bugs are reproducing like mad.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChristIsHere
reply to post by Hudson69

This is whats wrong with people today. Asking a question while already believeing a pre-concieved answer and then placing judgement. What's stupid is to not use critical thinking. He said when its SUPER hot during the day everyone should rest. Not be out in the heat. And try going outside when its 100 F or higher barefoot on the asphault.

Anyways, I get so angry when i see animals left in cars. I will either
A) Go into the store and ask for the owner over the loudspeaker
B)Call the cops
C) Get the animal out myself and blow the car up (jk on this one) ((but seriously))

I dont know what i would do if i saw a child. Id probably beat the parent until the stupid was exstinguished.

Thanks for your response on that.
I've been of line and did not get chance to respond until now.

Many years ago I worked for my local authority as a beach warden, it was my job to sort out any problems that might arise suh as lost children etc. Quite often we'd find parked cars with dogs left inside and the owners would be in the sea swimming or just sunbathing. In this situation I'd wait five minutes, take photographs, then break the biggest window on the vehicle and take the dog to our office. We'd then block the vehicle in and phone the police and tell them what we'd done.
When the VERY angry owners stormed into our office they'd be arrested and charged with cruelty.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Thats very interesting but the comment was about "walking" your dogs in the sun not leaving them in the car. Read the post before you flame so you dont look stupid next time.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Hudson69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristIsHere

Where are you getting that I was advocating leaving a dog in the car? I was advocating walking your dog in the sun...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hudson69

Thats very interesting but the comment was about "walking" your dogs in the sun not leaving them in the car. Read the post before you flame so you dont look stupid next time.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Hudson69 because: (no reason given)

Actualy the main bulk of that wasn't aimed at you at all, maybe you should try reading the post.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I understand the walking your dog on the HOT road. Their feet can burn as easily as a human under the same conditions. Especially indoor dogs that do not have the pads of their feet hardened.

It is a matter of awareness anyway you look at it really.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

S@F I think I hit the right post lol. I mean to say KUDOS to you and your fellow employee's who actually did something to help the poor pets left in inhumane conditions while their owners stayed cool in the surf, wow.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Good for you, it must have been miserable before, do you have pets? Are they indoors with you now? I sure hope so! I can barely make it through the day without wondering about all the chained up dogs in Mo.

top topics

join