It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Show your Patriotism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
For a country that is plagued with Patriotism, I can certainly say that after watching all these Olympic games that the USA teammates have no idea of what the National Anthem Lyrics are, while everyone else in the world does.

Hows that for Patriotism.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The only words I know in the Canadian anthemn are: Oh Canada

Hmmmm... does that make me an ignorant, uncultured American?

I can't comment further really, I haven't been watching the Olympics (Summer games aren't a great love of mine) but I wonder if some of the issue is that the whole experience is a bit overwhelming, especially the medals ceremonies.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Oh for sure. But when myself being a Canadian know every single lyric to the American Anthem and I watch Americans trying to sing the anthem and the evidence of a lacking knowledge of the song becomes quite evident.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by misfitofscience
For a country that is plagued with Patriotism, I can certainly say that after watching all these Olympic games that the USA teammates have no idea of what the National Anthem Lyrics are, while everyone else in the world does.

Hows that for Patriotism.

Every one else in the world could careless to sing such a BS song, such as the BS national anthem because some one said it was patriotic.

Its just more sheeple training and subliminal techniques the herder uses for the sheeple be tamed. Kind of like the little boy with the flute who had a bunch of rats following him

Evidently, those that did not sing are not amongst the sheeple populace of the herders that be.

edit on 2-8-2012 by LastProphet527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
As a first-generation American, I know it by heart. But we learned these things in grade school in the 60s. I'm guessing that public schools don't do that anymore, because my kids don't know it, and I find it quite sad.

I suppose if they taught the words, the kids might have to think about what they mean, and we cannot have thinking students of American history....just puppets who parrot the ideas that America is the greatest without ever realizing that our greatness is becoming a thing of the past, because nobody remembers our history.

"Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

To be fair, most of us only know the first verse, but the entire poem by Francis Scott Key is worth knowing and understanding.

"Then conquer we must, when our cause is just". Amen to that.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
So, we don't love our country because some don't know the words to a song? Do I hate rock n roll cause I don't know the lyrics to Louie Louie?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by misfitofscience

Unfortunately, it's not "politically correct" to be a patriot in the United States anymore. Many of our youth probably don't even know the name of our national anthem. That truly is a shame.

As a side note:
I don't fully remember them, but as a US Air Force brat, while stationed at Goose Bay AFB in Labrador, we used to sing "Oh Canada" and "God Save the Queen" as soon as we finished saying the US "Pledge of Allegiance". For me, those were the "good ole days".

See ya,
Milt

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

To be fair, NOBODY knows all the lyrics to Louie Louie, not even the guy who warbled it.

It used to be required to know the words to the National Anthem, as well as the Pledge of Allegiance. But only old fogies like me remember it, apparently.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Every one else in the world could careless to sing such a BS song, such as the BS national anthem because some one said it was patriotic.

Its just more sheeple training and subliminal techniques the herder uses for the sheeple be tamed. Kind of like the little boy with the flute who had a bunch of rats following him

Evidently, those that did not sing are not amongst the sheeple populace of the herders that be.

That's the kind of crap our kids learn now! Like I said before, it truly is a shame.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Im 27 yrs old and in the US Army 8yrs now and the only part I know is "rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air". Thats my favorite part, gives me goosebumps everytime. Guess im unpatriotic

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ussoldier

Guess im unpatriotic

Not at all! Your "goosebumps" give you away!

Thank you for your service!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
That anthem is based on an old English drinking song called Anacreon In Heaven which was The Anacreontic Society that was a popular gentleman's club of amateur musicians in London founded in the mid-18th century.

So why does one have to be blindly patriotic to their country? What has the country done to deserve such blind devotion?

I am a patriot myself, but I am a patriot to the ideals of the country, not to the retards that want to run her into the ground.

Edit:

In the modern age there'd be huge lawsuits over it for being a copyright infringement.

edit on 4-8-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Thank you.. I just sorta thinks its wrong of me to know the words to most songs by Dierks Bentley, Billy Currington,, ect.. but not know the words of our national anthem.

I love watching Missy, Soni, Ledecky, Phelps and our other olympians standing on the podium with gold around their neck and the national anthem playing. its hard not get a tear in your eye

top topics

join