It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amtrak lost $800M on cheeseburgers and soda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Amtrak is on a "break even" mandate for things like food and beverages.

In other words -- no "profit" allowed.

But, there seems to be no mandate on losses

Perhaps a new name is in order: Hamtrak

It looks like the vendor / contractors get rich off this ineptitude.

Washington Examiner -- Aug 2, 2012

Taxpayers lost $833 million over the last decade on the food and beverages supplied by Amtrak, which managed to spend $1.70 for every dollar that received in revenue.

“Over the last ten years, these losses have amounted to a staggering $833.8 million,” said Rep.John Mica, R-Fla., in a statement previewing a House hearing today. “It costs passengers $9.50 to buy a cheeseburger on Amtrak, but the cost to taxpayers is $16.15. Riders pay $2.00 for a Pepsi, but each of these sodas costs the U.S. Treasury $3.40.”

Amazon.com is currently selling 24-packs of 12 ounce Pepsi cans for $8.94 -- which averages to about 75 cents per can. ... [story continues]

Corruption Incorporated ??

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
16 bucks for a cheese burger! The taxpayers are getting screwed. They should have just put in a burger king.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yay!

Blow 800 million no worries just raise taxes on the rich!

Problem solved!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I wonder what went through the CEO's mind when he decided to spend more than his company earns.

They probably thought if the U.S. Treasury can get away with losing trillions, this can be quietly swept under the rug as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
if it's tax dollars, shouldn't the pepsi be free.

why does the taxpayer have to pay twice for a product that was paid for with their money.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Amtrak is not a money maker. The government uses it as a write off. Look at the history.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

It looks like the vendor / contractors get rich off this ineptitude.\

It's not clear to me exactly where the skimming is going, but i doubt it's the vendors. I suspect its people higher up. This article really is lacking any real insight, and searching around the net, i see no other mentions of it except re-posts like this one.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It takes Amtrak and Uncle Sam to lose money on a $10 Cheeseburger. Oh jeeze... I wouldn't believe this story if I hadn't seen similar things so many times elsewhere.

Hey, how the hell is it I can have a Cheeseburger at Burger King down the street for $.95 each plus tax...but Amtrak charges the rider almost $10 and... you HAVE to be kidding me...for THAT crap?! $16+ on actual cost??

I don't think the problem is profit margin and accounting, I think the problem is being screwed inside out by suppliers and whoever is figuring all this out.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
... Only thing worth buying on amtrak is cup'o'noodles, pizza, beer n liquor shots.... everythings else is waaaaay the hell overpriced... I've never seen a $10 hamburger tho....
edit on 2-8-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Having family, a neighbor, a good friend or someone that owes you a favor in a buyer position for the government is very much like winning the lottery.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The other choice is no passenger rail roads -- that is what the tea baggers can justify.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
The other choice is no passenger rail roads -- that is what the tea baggers can justify.

If they get rid of the corruption, maybe it would be break even.

Is there any link about Tea Party being against trains ?

new topics

top topics

join