It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi River Closed Due to Drought

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Global Climate change won't happen overnight, it's going to be a gradual process and we're now beginning to see the first effects of it. Every summer is going to be hotter than the last and you can expect more rivers to go through the same until eventually most of them are dry and extinct.

Global Warming is an out-dated phrase, it's Global Climate Change. Some areas might see extremely hot weather while others will experience below normal temperatures resulting in extreme and harsh winters.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by edaced4
Wanted to share a couple of pics I took this afternoon. These are from SE Missouri, looking into IL:

Crud...gimme a bit...can't get this thing to use my pics. Gonna try to upload them here...

maybe got it now...

And, here's a barge:

edit on 3-8-2012 by edaced4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2012 by edaced4 because: (no reason given)

Is that the lowest you have seen it?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Me personally, yes. Living right by the river, I guess I kinda take it for granted that it's there, and always gonna be there. I tend to only go take a look at it when there is flooding involved. Never really worried about it being low, before now.

Here's a link to a table that shows low water records around this part:

Low Water Records

Looks like the lowest on record was back in 1909 at 0.60ft...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

half a foot deep???

You are currently about 9 ft right now,if that is correct.

water.weather.gov...

That would make for some easy fishing!

Course if you see what is coming out of Louisville after it comes through Cincinnati,the Ohio River that is,I would get near it.
edit on 3-8-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Global Climate change won't happen overnight, it's going to be a gradual process and we're now beginning to see the first effects of it. Every summer is going to be hotter than the last and you can expect more rivers to go through the same until eventually most of them are dry and extinct.

Global Warming is an out-dated phrase, it's Global Climate Change. Some areas might see extremely hot weather while others will experience below normal temperatures resulting in extreme and harsh winters.

In other words, AGW is now the catchall for anything weather related. Now matter what reality is or proves to be.

Man, I can't wait for this solar cycle to end, and the upcoming Grand Minimum now predicted by many solar physicists comes and smacks the alarmists up side the head. That would unfortunately be to the detriment of society, however, maybe that's what it will take to wake up the sheep.

K, rant over. Back on topic.
edit on 3-8-2012 by wlf15y because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Mid westerners don't scream much... Some of us pray, some of us start planning,... We're those people that hold on to our guns and our religion.

I mean this as humor. We also crack lame jokes. We, of the fly-over states.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by intrptr

Mid westerners don't scream much... Some of us pray, some of us start planning,... We're those people that hold on to our guns and our religion.

I mean this as humor. We also crack lame jokes. We, of the fly-over states.

Maybe I meant the media (they always barking about sump tin or udder).
"Fly-over states"

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Yea that would be good fishing.
Just wait until the next freshwater hits the river and the fish will bite like crazy!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

So.... Basically, we're all in for hell on Earth and Florida can hang on with the rest of the Southeast for a real busy Hurricane season.

That about sums it up, right? Ugh.... Here is hoping for 40 days and 40 nights. Fox had an oddball story about someone actually building an Arc here recently. Maybe he knows something? I'll take floods over this. I can swim. It's not too workable when water isn't there.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I live very near La Crosse and didn't even hear about the barge grounding.

Here's a news article saying the river is back open after dredging:
LA Crosse Tribune

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It seems it isn't getting any better.
97 vessels grounded!

(Reuters) - The U.S. Coast Guard said on Monday that 97 vessels were stranded by low water on the Mississippi River near Greenville, Mississippi, after it closed an 11-mile stretch of the drought-parched waterway for dredging and to replace missing navigation buoys. The worst U.S. drought in 56 years has left the river there at its lowest point since 1988, a year when a similarly dire drought also stalled commercial traffic on the major shipping waterway.

articles.chicagotribune.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

agree wonder when it might actually have to close it completely till they get some decent rain.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Here's to hoping that Isaac will fill her back up.

Looks like the storm will travel up the Mississippi for awhile dumping lots of rain.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join