It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi River Closed Due to Drought

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Here in the Springfield mo. area churches are holding special vigils and praying for rain and for the farmers to be blessed as they know here in the heartland that the farmer is the backbone of America.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by kdog1982

I was mainly posting it for the info about how many products rely on the Mississippi to get to port.

Sorry,my thoughts were elsewhere.

Yes!

The Mississippi is a major transportation of goods here.
I expect my gas prices to spike very soon.

I see coal and other products going down the Ohio River everyday on barges,and the river is very low.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Here in the Springfield mo. area churches are holding special vigils and praying for rain and for the farmers to be blessed as they know here in the heartland that the farmer is the backbone of America.

You are so right with that statement.
The backbone is here and it is in the process of being slowly degenerated to the point of crippling the US.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This is the Kansas river at Lawrence. The sandbar has been exposed so long it has grass growing on it now. The river is about twelve feet below normal.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Didn't the article state that trains would be used to transport for now? Not sure how that is going to affect us but it cannot be good.

Ok just spoke with my 97 yro Grandpa who was a professional Truck driver in his day and he said in all his years he has never seen this happen on the Mississippi and that this can only mean prices will rise. He said the oil companies raise their rates at the drop of a hat so they will jump on this opportunity, and that prices on everything they were hauling will go up mid transport, that they will have to.

He then said we could be getting close to the end of the world as we know it.

edit on 2-8-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Wow,thanks grandpa!
We kinda of knew something was coming,but wasn't sure about it.
And it maybe just a little side step for us.
I hope it's just a little side step.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Well he said lets hope for some big snow over the winter up north to replenish, that or a few weeks of big rain. He was really perplexed by this. Makes all of us move into survival mode for sure.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wondermost
I think that should have read Greenville, Mississippi. I'm pretty sure there is no Greenville, Arkansas. Too bad the only time my home town makes the news is when something is wrong. Seldom does good news come from that little miserable town.

In the interest of deny ignorance, you are correct

File:Mississippi River bridge at Greenville MS - Lake Village AR

en.wikipedia.org...:Mississippi_River_bridge_at_Greenville_MS_-_Lake_Village_AR.jpg

This means more trucks on the road, may raise diesil prices.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Here is a recent photo of the river.

An aerial photo of the Mississippi river shows sandy areas where water had been before the drought. The river's levels are now nearing record lows

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will spend nearly $7 million dredging in an attempt to keep ports operational and keep the river open for barge traffic in the coming weeks. River levels in Memphis have dropped to within three feet of their historic lows from the 1988 drought.

In just one year, the river has gone through extreme fluctuation. Last May, it was within a foot of its record-high crest because of massive flooding, and today it’s 55 feet lower and experiencing historic lows due to drought..

link

The good news is that it is raining here in southern Illinois,,,,yeah

Now it just needs to rain steady for a few days.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I was just catching up on last night's Coast to Coast AM show with John Hogue where he mentioned a prediction he made at the beginning of the year that this summer the Mississippi River would be so dry that it will be shut down in areas due to the low water levels. I'm not a huge fan of John Hogue, but once I saw this thread I started wondering how good he really is. I'll see if I can find and post an audio clip of when he made that prediction.
edit on 2-8-2012 by iwan2ski because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Well he said lets hope for some big snow over the winter up north to replenish, that or a few weeks of big rain. He was really perplexed by this. Makes all of us move into survival mode for sure.

Just move into alert mode,no survival mode yet.

Kind of like preparing for a hurricane,done that a few times and a tropical depression that would bring rain would be welcomed.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I know a little about rivers and i can tell you that after being down for some time the current will wash out the sand and make it a little deeper and will form a clear channel.The bottom will change if it stays down.The pathways will become more defined but will remain only not as the way we benefit from them now.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
I know a little about rivers and i can tell you that after being down for some time the current will wash out the sand and make it a little deeper and will form a clear channel.The bottom will change if it stays down.The pathways will become more defined but will remain only not as the way we benefit from them now.

That is a good outcome in what is occurring.

Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I live on the bank of the Choctawhatchee River in NW Florida. Our reading today is 3.78 ft with the flood stage at 12 ft. Kinda low, especially when it's been raining every day for almost two weeks. We can normally walk across it anyway, so it's not disastrous or anything like that. I just have to wonder where all the water's going.

Many years ago, the river was much deeper because they used to dredge it back then for a local ship builder in our area. That way they could transport the newly built stuff down to Choctawhatchee Bay, and of course then out to sea if needed. Now they have a ship builder in Freeport Florida, and the need to dredge in our area has disappeared.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

area churches are holding special vigils and praying for rain

This is so typical, and stupid.

Unfortunately America deserves to die because we are so stupid, backwards, and unable to evolve.

I have to admit that I chuckled a bit when I first read that the Churches were having prayer vigils to pray for rain. I'm not a big fan of organized religion. However, from a spiritual perspective, a mass outpouring of positive affirmations couldn't hurt. So, I support their actions and hope that their "gift of faith" is powerful enough to pull it off.

On the other hand, I would be much more concerned about a religion that was having a prayer vigil calling for the opposite effect. Or another religion that might proclaim this as God's punishment because America has become a devil-worshiping, homosexual-supporting nation. I wouldn't be nearly so supportive of those folks.

Dex

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DexterRiley

I have found results in my prayers once i realized that during prayers we are sending up feelings and not words.
On this very site i heard someone say that if you want it to rain don't think about the empty river think about a full river or something like that.however you must cover all angles or it could result in a devastating flood or something not imagined. You may think i'm full of crap but if you don't then join me in thinking of a full and fruitful river with the help of an unseen force.I see a river full and steady within three weeks! There is more than one way for a country boy to survive.
Regardless of the validity of my thoughts and ramblings i hold hope for the people of this great land and world for that matter.

On the other hand the conspiracy side of me says that the river levels will not affect the will of tptb to effect the price of food and so i rejoice because just as the raven does not reap or sow he is fed.Put your faith in our father and go with your gut.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Does anyone else remember how that bridge collapse over the Mississippi river blocked trade? Everyone was screaming about how much it was going to cost the midwest. They depend so heavily upon the river for commerce.

Interesting how nobody is screaming now. Isn't this worse?

greenanswers.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join