It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S nuclear bomb facility shut after security breach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

U.S nuclear bomb facility shut after security breach

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - The U.S. government's only facility for handling, processing and storing weapons-grade uranium was temporarily shut this week after anti-nuclear activists, including an 82-year-old nun, breached security fences, government officials said on Thursday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is quite hilarious while frightening at the same time. An 82 year-old, a 63 year-old, and a 57 year-old, were able to walk two hours, breach four fences, and get to the main walls of a nuclear facility without detection? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to underestimate the capabilities of these three just because of their age but it's not exactly like they are a covert operations team of highly trained military personnel. They are just three activists!

How are we supposed to feel safe with our nuclear facility getting intruded into so easily?

"It was obviously a pretty serious incident," NNSA spokesman Joshua McConaha told Reuters.

"We're taking this very, very seriously," added Steve Wyatt, a spokesman for the NNSA office in Oak Ridge which supervises the activities of Y-12 contractors.

Yeah, guys, it was a very serious incident. You let three people breach into a facility that stores and processes weapons-grade uranium with just a pair of clippers for the fence. What if it had been a group of armed terrorists? Can you imagine if that place got overrun? It would be catastrophic for Tennessee and the total of United States.

Still, I wouldn't say these activists were just your regular run-of-the-mill protestors. Well.. firstly, they broke into a nuclear facility and could have exposed themselves to radiation which is crazy enough already but the fact that they threw human blood on the walls of the building is a little odd... Just whose blood was it, any way?

I seriously hope they bump up security within this facility, because that is frightening.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-8-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: To add.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Dude.. the SAS would come and clean out.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

82? Lol, good for her

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

It is a little worrying but what do we expect? Afterall, storing such material only brings with it these risks. A wise man would realize that fact and dispose of it all.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yeah, I absolutely agree that the handling and security around Nuclear Weapons and facilities is horrible and desperately needs improved....

A nuclear weapon that wasn’t supposed to exist, a single 500 kiloton hydrogen bomb, one of four being tracked, was seen being loaded at the German port of Bemerhaven, Germany.

The groups assisting in what we were informed was a counter-terrorism surveillance operation were the American NSA, British MI 6, the Office of Naval Intelligence and the British Royal Navy. The “device” was loaded onto a Germany built “Dolphin” submarine and left the harbour doing 7.5 knots.

The submarine disappeared while being tracked by every sophisticated device NATO seems to be able to own or borrow.
500 Kiloton Nuclear Weapon goes "missing".

You remember that one right? Those super sleuths of MI-6 were right there to watch....it vanish.

I certainly agree we need more security and the above situation sorted itself out as I recall...but the confusion means it was no thanks to those in charge of it at the time. So...it's just the blame part I'd disagree on. Everyone has plenty to live with, I'd think.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Marcinko would not be surprised by this. Richard Marcinko spent the later half of his Navy SEAL career infiltrating secure facilities to test naval security. He was able to infiltrate several nuclear armories using tactics any catburglar would use.

He has said several times over and over again that our nuclear armories are NOT safe. After he's do an inspection of said armory and give recommendations to increase security so a real group of terrorists wouldn't be able to simply walk out like he could have with a nuclear weapon, he'd come back a few extra times to follow up. Every time except for two places, Pt. Magu and Camp David, was there absolutely no attempt to fix the shoddy security procedures and systems.

He says its actually gotten worse from when he was doing the tests.

He went on to describe in detail how they infiltrated Seal Beach Nuclear Armory south of Los Angeles. I go surfing near that armory a few times a year and know the surrounding locations pretty well. WHen he was describing the infiltration in detail. I was literally able to do a walk through in my mind of his infiltration by just going over my own memories of the area. He was telling the truth and it was shocking just how simple it was to infiltrate that base. So now all I think when I go surfing near Seal Beach when I look over towards the armory and the wildlife estuary in between it is. Really? All I would have to do is simply walk across this estuary and I'd be in like flynn.

He even has made claims that the retirees across the street at leisure world were better security guards, and the only time they ever were thwarted from sacking that nuclear armory was when some retirees called the cops in the middle of the night on them when they noticed one of his teams hoping the chain link fence in front of the armory.

Sad that 88 year old retirees make better security guards than trained soldiers or rent a cops. Also the guys guarding the base had no loaded weapons when on patrol. Like how are you going to stop the terrorists from taking what they want when you spot them? With harsh words?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Yeah, guys, it was a very serious incident.

Seriously. What a ridiculous statement from the spokesperson.

You let three people breach into a facility

Just crazy how easy that was. Why does something like this have such weak security? There is a Freemason lodge not far from my house. That place is under constant security. If you so much as make a phone call in their parking lot you'll get a cop rolling up asking you why you're there. Yet a nuclear facility is basically left unguarded.

but the fact that they threw human blood on the walls of the building is a little odd... Just whose blood was it, any way?

They claim it was human blood. I am betting it's animal blood.

I seriously hope they bump up security within this facility, because that is frightening.

Very much so. Personally I am much more worried about domestic terrorists than foreign in this regard.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

I think they assume no one would infiltrate a nuclear facility out of sheer danger but they are going to regret that assumption if somebody more prepared and armed actually attempts this. The last thing we want is a uranium processing plant to get into the hands of terrorists.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Homer Simpson fell asleep on the job again.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

i'm pretty sure it was Cobra. i type that with the utmost sincerity as well. no sarcasm, no joke. I would not be suprised at all if there was an organization like Cobra, only obviously more capable.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

It makes me feel 'oh-so better' to know that the same company that is botching the Olympics security; is the same one that maintains my nuclear facility in my home state......What the flag...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The US nuclear weapons aren't in safe hands and they are a threat to world peace. China must invade the US and secure the nukes.
/sarcasm

This is how absurd you sound when you blame other countries for not being safe enough for nukes. (Iran, Pakistan)
Even though only the US has used them and Israel is the only country to threat the whole world with nuclear destruction.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Pathetic.

:shk:

But at airports, we're molesting children and old people in wheel chairs.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

It makes me very angry to consider the lengths they have gone to for this so-called passenger screening/security (false sense of) within our airports (TSA screenings, money-making schemes, etc.) when a security breach could be easily accomplished within supposed high-level security facilities.

Not to mention that the U.S. borders are so volatile.

So concerned about a plane with max. 300 passengers or so, (sarcasm) but on the other hand if a nuclear facility and the borders aren't secure, couldn't we be talking about upwards of thousands being effected on any given day?

What a joke.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
is it just me or does anyone else wonder exactly WHY in the hell we are still building nuclear weapons???

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

is it just me or does anyone else wonder exactly WHY in the hell we are still building nuclear weapons???

Well, first it was Russia,
then:

Cuba
Pakistan
China

and now we are told:

Iran
Insert Terroist group name

So we have to have them to defend ourselves, you know? (Shhhh, but it also creates more jobs)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchesfromwall

So we have to have them to defend ourselves, you know? (Shhhh, but it also creates more jobs)

yeah,I get ya.

Just imagine how many jobs we could create who's role it was to find peace

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Dude.. the SAS would come and clean out.

Dude. He said U.S. bomb facility, not a U.K. bomb facility so no SAS here. Hey, don't Bogart it Dude...pass it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchesfromwall
reply to post by TXRabbit

Well, first it was Russia,
then:

Cuba
Pakistan
China

and now we are told:

Iran
Insert Terroist group name

I believe it's some kind of phallic symbol for impotent politicos and it makes a sh$tload of money for elite psychopaths in the military industrial complex. Enrico Fermi states, "that what is not statistically impossible is compulsory." Which I take to me that eventually some day someone will use these things either intentionally or by accident. We MUST rid ourselves of these things and remove from power those who would ever advocate the construction of such in the future.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join