Going Ghost Hunting in Gettysburg...Any suggestions other than the standard haunts?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RongoRongo

My advice after deacdes of seeing others on doing their own ghost hunting is: DON'T unless you are very experienced or are with someone very experienced. And experienced, mature paranormal investigators are about as common as snowflakes in Key West.

Don't be one of the feral ghost hunters, as I call them!

Here are some reasons why ghost hunting is a bad idea for 99.9% of the population.

1) YOU CAN MAKE MATTERS WORSE

In a "haunted house" that has residents, there almost always are pathological or domestic issues, or both, that are feeding the paranormal phenomena. Inexperienced investigators who pay attention only to the phenomena are not only neglecting the residents' needs but could make the whole scene worse by creating more psychic disharmony. That's especially true if they use seances, Ouija boards and other bombshells that only serve to open more doors in space-time.

And if you start "investigating" a house in which the house or land actually have no problems but the people do (psychologically), you can stimulate their neuroses or psychoses, creating big problems.

2) IT CAN HARM YOU

In paranormal situations or at troubled places, you have to keep a level head and know exactly how to handle the stimuli that come your way. This is supremely true with my theoretical "parasitical entities," whose only interest is feeding on your energy and who know just what "buttons" to push to do so.

In addition, I've time and again seen inexperienced people start investigating sites only to have their imaginations run wild, to the point that they were convinced that entities had followed them home or that they were being terrorized by demons. On several occasions, many years ago when I was doing graduate work in abnormal psychology, I encountered several people who had to be institutionalized because of what we referred to at the time as "demonopathic hysteria."

Conversely, I often encounter people who love all things paranormal to the point of obsession, usually because it can bring them attention, provide an escape from a boring life or, worst of all, create a sense of power over others. Many people, including me, are fascinated by the paranormal, but there comes a point at which any interest can become unhealthy, especially when many of the objects of that interest see you as nothing more than a hot lunch.

As if that weren't enough, if you are very sensitive or psychic and don't know how to handle it, the stimuli at many of these sites can overwhelm you.

3) YOU CAN CREATE A NUISANCE

Whenever they feel like it, many paranormal devotees form impromptu groups and go bumbling off to cemeteries and other outdoor sites that have paranormal reputations. While curiosity-seekers have been doing this since time out of mind, that doesn't mean it's right.

Trespassing is a crime, and cemeteries deserve respect.

So, by all means, read up on the paranormal and enjoy lectures and movies on the subject.

If that's not enough, take up soccer.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RongoRongo

Originally posted by WhamBam
Truthfully, you aren't anywhere near capable of doing anything except wasting (y)our time. Wanna know how I can tell?

You called yourself a ghost hunter. Give us a break.

I agree. Any paranormal cemetery trudger - like the OP- worth fly dookey uses a more professional term.

Or maybe not.

Regards to Easter Island, RongoRongo.
I can't fathom how, from my original post, that you were led you to believe I even considered myself a "professional" paranormal cemetery trudger. Fact is, I've never trudged a single cemetery for salary...or fly dookey, for that matter.
I indicated that I was a novice, following a personal interest and passion; for some reason that seems to offend you to the point of questioning my sincerity. I can't imagine why it would...but to each their own.
edit on 3-8-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I indicated that I was a novice,

Which is entirely my point in my post above. Conveniently which you failed a response.

You see this as an adventure, something to do for the fun of it. This isn't fun stuff, you are interrupting the lives of entities that seriously don't need your invasion, attention or bothersomeness.

Get over it. Take up rubber bridge.

edit on 3-8-2012 by CiAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CiAlice
[exI indicated that I was a novice,

-Quote-

"You see this as an adventure, something to do for the fun of it. This isn't fun stuff, you are interrupting the lives of entities that seriously don't need your invasion, attention or bothersomeness."

-End Quote-

First off, death interrupted the "lives" of the entities...I doubt I could be any more intrusive or disruptive than that.

Seriously, CiAlice, I understand the point you're attempting to make...you're just not making it all that well (IMHO).
I just am a little unclear as to how you...or anyone else, for that matter, can set themselves up to speak for ALL entities...living or dead.

I am very respectful of the dead, as well as the living; you should try it sometime.

I have lost a wife, father, niece, grandparents...and friends. I think it is very presumptuous of you (if not personally insulting) to assume that I would be disrespectful or irreverent towards any of them.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CiAlice

OH jeeeeze ...RELAX.
Someone wants to go out and see if they can contact those who have passed over.
So what? He's going to be respectful.
And everyone starts out at some point ...
So what if he said 'ghost hunter' instead of 'ghost investigator' or whatever.
Give the guy a break ...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Went to Gettysburg on Halloween once. Here is a pic of a ghostie, log or whatever...
I took that pic at the Devils Den after I requested that some soldiers show me how handsome they are. Oh and the pic is lightened considerably. I was shooting blindly in the pitch dark.

edit on 3-8-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Across the street from the Farnsworth House you'll see a modern school. On the right side, just before the school, you will see a thicket of pine trees. If you go in those pine trees in the early morning hours .. like 2 or 3 am .. you will see a shadowperson. He runs between the trees. If you go stand over by the statue on top of the hill near the thicket of trees, you will see the shadowman and sometimes he comes running up to you. You can also see shadowpeople dodging in and out of the trees to the right of the big athletic field at the bottom of the hill.

We have ALWAYS seen the shadowman here. Each time we went. Never a miss ...

If you go behind the schools bleachers, ( if you keep walking down that field to the end) you will find a path and a pond. Supposed to be haunted really good there. They found bodies in the pond. Plus if you go there during a busy time like Halloween, you won't find other folks there.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I am a big Civil War enthusiast, have travelled to Gettysburg, and also have photographed ghost activity a few times at Revolutionary Battlefields, and old graveyards.

I recommend: going alone on the ghost hunting. In all instances that I have recorded anything, I have been alone, serious, respectful, reverent, and very quiet. If you take anyone along with you they should be the same.

I would recommend the Graveyard of course. But also focus on the bloodiest sites of the battlefield. The Flank of the 20th Maine on Little Round Top. The field of Pickett's Charge. The Devil's den at the base of the Round Top Hills were all very bloody and hard-fought.

I recommend NOT being in a hurry. Spend 1-2 hours in each area. When you arrive in a ghost hunting area, sit and be still and silent for 20-30 minutes before even trying to capture anything photographically. I have found that in all instances where I have captured any sort of activity I was in the area for an hour or more.

Let the area and spirits come and be curious of you. They may have things to show you, or they may not. They will be cautious of new-comers as anyone would be. Let them 'read' you, and your souls-intent. Let the spirits get accustomed to you.

I recommend watching: the movie Gettysburg, researching the battlemaps overlaid with modern maps. Some of the batteflieds are now crossed by highways or have land/homes/businesses developed there. Modern activity in the area will decrease chances of sightings. The more the area looks like it did at the time of the battlefield, the more likely the spirits will be confused into thinking they are still alive and walking during the Civil War in Gettysburg and more likely they will appear to you or to your camera.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Thank you, AllSeeing. I appreciate the advice and direction...and will be completely respectful...hororing the men and their sacrifice.
Gettysburg is a wonderful film...and I particularly recommend the book Killer Angels by Sahara (from which the film was taken). Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain is a great hero of mine.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina

Across the street from the Farnsworth House you'll see a modern school. On the right side, just before the school, you will see a thicket of pine trees. If you go in those pine trees in the early morning hours .. like 2 or 3 am .. you will see a shadowperson. He runs between the trees. If you go stand over by the statue on top of the hill near the thicket of trees, you will see the shadowman and sometimes he comes running up to you. You can also see shadowpeople dodging in and out of the trees to the right of the big athletic field at the bottom of the hill.

If you go behind the schools bleachers, ( if you keep walking down that field to the end) you will find a path and a pond. Supposed to be haunted really good there. They found bodies in the pond. Plus if you go there during a busy time like Halloween, you won't find other folks there.

Thank you so much. We will definitely check this area out and share what we find.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina

Thank you so much. We will definitely check this area out and share what we find.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You are going to have to post some!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CiAlice

It is Gettysburg that now has a huge tourist industry. You can't get near the place at the beginning of July. They are interrupted plenty already.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by CiAlice

It is Gettysburg that now has a huge tourist industry. You can't get near the place at the beginning of July. They are interrupted plenty already.

Do I need to explain the difference between humans trouncing on the fields of Gettysburg and the insistence of idiots with no experience whatsoever hunting for non-existent "ghosts"?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
not to off topic but a great place to eat is the Altland House in Abbotstown about 10 miles east on US 30 ... dress code required upstairs but that have a bar type atmosphere in the basement called "The Underside"

The food was great ... we would get off work go to a bar down the road towards Gettysburg and then munch out at the Cross Keys Diner

I worked for about 6 months there as a line cook when Tom and Betty Haugh operated the restaurant but that was in the 80s

good luck ghost hunting!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Wow good luck AT! I look forward to october. About the shadow people, I myself when I was young, was tormented by a shadowy entity named "Tonsippi" every night for about a year. I would love info on what those beings are!
Hope all is well with you my friend and good luck

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Here is a link and a brief of what Tom Miles a local paranormal investigator sent me regarding a post here on ATS about the Conewago Phantom....

Great reading

link

We decided to stay up for the entire night. There was a full moon and much of the woods and creek were visible. We had cameras, a gauss meter, EMF detector and temperature sensor ready, though I rarely use these tools when I sense spirit activity initially. At approximately 1:00 am, I was walking the perimeter of our camp with the EMF detector when I received a spike on the gauge for a few seconds. I stood still and tried to figure out this feeling of being watched the entire weekend. I told Andy and John what I felt and we started to walk deeper into the woods towards the fork. We walked about 50 feet when, without warning, we recognized to our right a large dark figure with bright red eyes standing in the creek….and suddenly it shot straight up into the air with an audible “whoosh”. A few seconds later, we heard another scream that seemed to fade as if was moving away from us.

We hurried back to the campsite and compared thoughts about this phantom. Andy was shook up and didn’t talk for several minutes until I prodded him for his recollection. John was surprising calm and estimated that it was 6 foot or so, dark in color and seemed to have something extending from its back. I also noticed the structures on the back and commented that it reminded me of wings but I was unsure. We all agreed that it had bright red eyes. This creature or phantom jettisoned so fast that we didn’t even have time to get a flashlight on it. Andy wanted to spend the night in the administration building and come back and collect our gear in the morning. He and John walked back, but I decided to stay in the campsite for the remainder of the night. Nothing significant occurred though that feeling of being watched remained.

other link he included in his email to me....

naturalplane.blogspot.com...

mikesanubis.com...

phantomsandmonsters.wetpaint.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Nice to see you back, CiAlice....Your posts are welcomed here, however:

Please let's try to avoid inflammatory language such as calling people who you do not know, "idiots".

It contributes nothing of value to our discussion here...and, quite honestly, it doesn't reflect at all well on your own intelligence level...or your personal motivations for posting here.

Regarding your above quote in response to 'nixie nox', in which you refer to "...idiots with no experience whatsoever hunting for non-existent "ghosts"?"

I'm afraid I have refer back to your earlier quote:

"You see this as an adventure, something to do for the fun of it. This isn't fun stuff, you are interrupting the lives of entities that seriously don't need your invasion, attention or bothersomeness."

One must acknowledge the obvious begged question:
HOW are these "entities" (to which you refer) able to feel personally invaded, bothered, annoyed, etc., if they are (as you also later state) "non-existent"?

Please, CiAlice, neither take my pointing out this contradiction as being adversarial in nature, nor feel personally offended by my doing so. I believe you have the potential to offer much to all of us here...IF you manage to relate your opinions in a civil and less defensively insecure manner.

Best.
edit on 5-8-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-8-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Pressthebutton

Thanks, 'Pressthebutton'. I promise I'll post whatever evidence gather, ASAP.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join