It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS missing billions in ID theft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Boston.com

The Internal Revenue Service may have delivered more than $5 billion in refund checks to identity thieves who filed fraudulent tax returns for 2011, Treasury Department investigators said Thursday. They estimate another $21 billion could make its way to ID thieves’ pockets over the next five years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-8-2012 by Ahabstar because: fixed link

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Wow, talk about gross incompetence. Among other doozies is this:

In one example, investigators found a single address in Lansing, Mich., that was used to file 2,137 separate tax returns.

How hard is it to put a rule in the computer that says "more than 1000 refunds to any given address might indicate fraud"?

Boston.com

(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-8-2012 by Ahabstar because: fixed link

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Most likely they were all addresed to the Federal Reserve Bank!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Wonder if this is the reason why my child has not received her refund.
The irs said they deposited the money, but the bank has no record of it and we are certain the bank is free and clear on this one. I feel like the bank has done all it can do in this case.
Basically, it is lost, the bank does not know where it is, and the irs said they deposited it, according to their records that is. We are about to send notice that there will be no more taxes paid until this issue is resolved.
Now we are jumping through hoops to get the money without any real answers.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Wonder if this is the reason why my child has not received her refund.
The irs said they deposited the money, but the bank has no record of it and we are certain the bank is free and clear on this one. I feel like the bank has done all it can do in this case.
Basically, it is lost, the bank does not know where it is, and the irs said they deposited it, according to their records that is. We are about to send notice that there will be no more taxes paid until this issue is resolved.
Now we are jumping through hoops to get the money without any real answers.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

The IRS should have a digital record of the electronic transfer, enabling them to find out who got it! Keep on em, because if you don't, you will never see it!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

The IRS should have a digital record of the electronic transfer, enabling them to find out who got it! Keep on em, because if you don't, you will never see it!

Yeah.
We thought the same thing too.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This kind of fraud does not happen without help from those at the top.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
A CNBC article says:

In another case, a single residential address in Chicago was the source of 765 tax returns, generating more than $900,000 in potentially fraudulent refunds, the report said. ...

Tax Scam: IRS Pays Out Billions in Fraudulent Refunds

I wonder if the address is

5046 S. Greenwood Ave, Chicago, IL

( the OP story link is )

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

The address could have been a big prison complex.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

The trickle down affect from Ron Pauls audit the Fed is going to become massive. Could this be part of it already? Covering bases like covering the butts of the global elite in the bailouts. only the little expendables will sink the rest will use the life boasts to vacate early on. Lets watch and see who else falls short not due to their own responsibility.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

read my reply! lol same train of thought.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

here's a picture of me being suprised:

true story

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

they're a government bureaucracy, i'd be surprised if they could find the emergency exits in their own building with a magnifying glass and directions...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
How are we supposed to take the Financial Crisis seriously when billions upon trillions disappear every 2 months or so??

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

The exact same thing happened to me. I filed my taxes online using a pretty large tax website that I have used in previous years. I requested that my refund be direct deposited into my bank account. I also used the option of having them take their fee directly out of my refund, and apparently this is where my mistake occurred.

In June I contacted the IRS since I had not received my refund, yet their website stated that it had been deposited. They ran a trace on the account that it was deposited into and mailed me their findings. I just got it in the mail the other day and it was deposited into an account at a bank I have never had any affiliation with that had a totally different account number than the one I provided.

I contacted the website that I had used to file my taxes and they informed me that since I had opted to have their fee taken from my refund, it was deposited into their bank and should have gone into my account from there and that I needed to contact that bank. Along with the letter from the IRS I also received a letter from this bank, telling me that my refund had been deposited into an account with a routing and account number that was again different from the one I had originally provided, and this is apparently where the fraud/ID theft/mix up occurred.

I apologize if all of that is convoluted and hard to follow, but that is where I stand at the moment. The bank is on the other side of the country and I have called the last 2 days during what should have been business hours in their time zone according to their letterhead and received a machine telling me that they are closed. I feel like since the bank knows what account it was deposited into they should be able to help me, but I am not going to hold my breath as I am dealing with about 3 different layers of bureaucracy and corporation in trying to get to the bottom of this. I don't see how having a refund from a 1040EZ tax return should be so complicated and my frustration is growing day after day.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Unfortunate and hilarious. Yet they're quick to audit someone for a measly few hundred off on their return.
Illogical at its finest. Dear *insert higher deity* help us all!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is a good reason for everyone to STOP filing tax returns. AND voting. It's time to rebel and not give them anymore money. Every time we send in a mortgage payment, or a tax return, we are at the mercy of thieves and liars and dunderheads, and their QA is an absolute JOKE.

ghaaa...
nice find, thanks, MrJensen.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Kgdetroit's post seems to suggest other problems.

krebsonsecurity.com...

When you have so many holes is it really surprising when something happens.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I think this is awesome.
I hope more of the irs bs comes to light.
I wish i could puke this all away.
edit on 4-8-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

I'm fairly certain the culpability doesn't lie with the IRS, but instead the bank that my refund was routed to so the fee for the website's services could be removed. At least in my case.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join