It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aging power grid on overload as U.S. demands more electricity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Aging power grid on overload as U.S. demands more electricity

www.washingtonpost.com

They began to bend in the roaring wind, then their steel girders snapped like twigs, the towers toppled and the lights went out.

Minutes before the windstorm arrived to pummel the Washington area on June 29, it swept east through West Virginia, crushing three electrical transmission towers that are a tiny part of an intricate power grid that’s supposed to keep the lights on in America.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.knoxnews.com
www.forbes.com

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This is a three page article concerning the perilous state of our electrical infrastructure. Think we'll never be sitting in the dark? Guess again. I get annoyed when I read stories like this because people just don't care. It's easier to argue over Chic-Fil-A or Obama/Romney because it's easy to find the enemy in those fights. This is something else entirely.

The problems we are facing with the nation's infrastructure are not due to neglect by one administration or political party. It's due to decades of neglect by both sides of the argument. Instead of really working toward fixing these problems people would rather make them political. There is nothing political about this and there shouldn't be any fighting over it. It should just be done. Instead both sides of the aisle would rather hold it up in budget committee's or make it a political ax to grind.

The saddest part here is this is something that is going to hurt everyone. Instead of making this political it just needs to get done.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-8-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
All it will take for the U.S. to be back in the bronze age is one really big EMF spike. Or one really moderate coronal discharge. It's coming, it will happen, and then we'll see if we have any allies left in the world.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

its not funny, a month long power supply and you'll be begging for a fema camp.

many people will starve to death.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Many more will die after being cut off from the medication. I think many here on ATS are convinced it won't be them and have this whole "Let it burn" mentality because they are just so fed up with the system. It's unlikely they would survive such an event either.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by randomname

Many more will die after being cut off from the medication. I think many here on ATS are convinced it won't be them and have this whole "Let it burn" mentality because they are just so fed up with the system. It's unlikely they would survive such an event either.

america doesnt have allies....
they have b****** who they slap around

I cant see isreal giving you guys some spare electricity

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I've been off the grid since 2010. No regrets. Solar panels and batteries are all I need.

Improvements on the US grid will result in higher electric bills for the consumer.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Higher cost versus a high possibility of outages? I don't know, maybe I just have different priorities but I would be ok with paying a bit extra.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The recent mega power cut in India makes me wonder what would happen in" developed" countries-people would go nuts without internet,TV etc for a day.

No TV to tell them what to do,no GPS..
People would go mental.

Our ancestors would laugh if it wasn't so serious.

Technology-great until the power goes down,then we are screwed unless we know the old ways.
Regards to you Antonia

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Well it is a surprise????

Record number of coal fired generators to be shut down!

Can anyone not see this is being done on purpose??

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Meanwhile up here in the Pacific Northwest US they are sprouting giant windmill farms like there is no tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Elected officials want to get their names on new stadiums, bridges, buildings, etc. It's boring to maintain infrastructure, nothing exciting there. In every major city I would guess Mayors and Governors would love the attention for building a new sports stadium because that is exciting and new. Old stuff is boring.
edit on 2-8-2012 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

One thing I dont understand is with all of the abandoned and vacant homes due to massive foreclosures, cities being abandoned, how can the power grid be failing? It should have lots of extra power to go around...so why the power shortage???? Something doesnt add up here.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

Exactly...and with incandescent light bulbs not t mention many other energy efficient products now on the market.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The power grid failing would be one of the many things that could happen that would be a blessing on this rotten corpse of a nation. It would finally wake people up to reality and let them recognize priorities.

Your iPhone doesn't work? You can't check your Facebook? No American Idol this week?

Boo hoo.

I'm a computer technician and I learned long ago that technology is a bane to society simply because instead of controlling it, we allow it to control us. So what if people die because of their arrogance and selfishness? People die everyday. The strong will survive.
edit on 4-8-2012 by gwydionblack because: spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
It's funny, when I was young, blackouts were not common as such but not unusual either. These days (at least here in Brisbane) they are quite rare. People get very upset with even fairly short interruptions. Supply authorities will go to great expense to ensure as few "customer minutes" as possible are lost during upgrades and maintenance as there are harsh penalties imposed once so many customer minutes in a given year are exceeded as well as reimbursements for customers who complain.

Nothing will be done unless governments in your country start to implement regulations such as we have here........then people will whinge and bitch about the rising cost of electric power. This will prompt people to start turning to localised generation such as solar which, all in all, looks to be an extremely good idea.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I'm not worried.

The electric company gave me a smart meter.

Seriously, there used to be a time not so long long ago when I dealt with hot weather with a box fan in the window. Now, I am dependent on an air conditioner. Used to be a time, I could deal with power outages after a hurricane. Now, I gripe and complain that they get mine back on line asap so I can watch tv and use the comp. I admit I am spoiled but I do realize that these spoiled moments may go out the window at any moment. The question is if I get used to what I used to be use to?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Putting our electrical grids underground is the future , however , it would cost hundreds of billions of dollars per state if i am not mistaken to do this.

We cant afford.
edit on 4-8-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Just fixing the power lines will not even begin to address the issue. I did some research, several years ago, concerning the condition of America's hydroelectric dams and nuclear reactors. I cannot remember the numbers now; but, well over half of the dams in the US are aged to the point of failing many safety inspections. Also, many rivers have multiple series dams. If an upstream dam fails, the water inundation would wipe out multiple dams. As I remember, the condition of many older nuclear reactors is much the same. The problem is that the cost of replacing one dam, or reactor, is so expensive that is not even feasible.

Sorry, I do not have links for this info at this time. This information is based on my memory of extensive reading that I did right after Sept. 11--when terrorists were thought to be targeting these areas.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Alex Jones has been covering this in depth.

City Moves to Cut 1/3 of Austin’s Power & Jack Up Prices

You can't escape the fact that sheer greed puts pressure on the infrastructure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join