It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists prove that todays industry music is un-inspired CRAP

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
That's why I listen to

1) Independent artists who give their music for free while accepting donations. And they will sell hard copies for lower than industry standard prices.

2) Video game scores/soundtracks.

Honestly video games are where the real music is at these days, in the category of corporate produced music at least. It's creative, made to fit the scenery/action, very versatile and has no real limitations to what is allowed.

On youtube it is a sort of underground phenomena that many will post VG OSTs for everyone to have the pleasure of listening.

Sure not all games have good soundtracks, but many of them have put out absolutely astonishing works of art that will go down in the books of history as pushing musical art forward in many varied directions.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
Yeah good music cannot be found on the radio it is all the same pre packaged crap . Progressive metal has a nice underground scene , honestly probably the last place right now to find any virtuosos of their instruments.

If it's using the same four chords that are used in Canon in D.
Then it's the same music.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Quake 2 soundtrack at the time was worthy of my car cd deck!!!

It would be awesome to develop music for games.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

There are only a certain number of notes that can be played and chords logically . It is how they are played is what matters.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Well now that the scientists agree, it is confirmed, most of today's music lacks substance, awe and mad skills and inspiration.
This documentary Before the Music Dies(on UTube too) really does a good job of exploring the issue, and suggests it is all a marketing issue s well as creating generations of listeners to superficial, gift wrapped empty boxes of machine music and too many effects. The industry seeks out and promotes youth and beauty above all else. How much substance can a teenager really bring to the songwriting arena with their lack of experience and wisdom? Not saying that no teens have anything to offer, but generally speaking, they lack life experiences which so often make for really good lyrics.

The markets also save money by creating cookie cutter bands/musicians, sending them in the studio, to be decorated with sound effects and glitzy images. The lack of variation mentioned in the article is because everything is kept too simple, with time restrictions and then gets compressed to a flatness without shimmer. Good artists struggle with their artistic freedom and promotion from the industry. Today's song have no breathing room or character, imo. At least there are numerous independent labels that still support good music, but it rarely goes mainstream, which could be considered a good thing, but what breaks my heart is the generations that are mostly exposed to empty songs with minimum talent involved, missing out on the depth of expression and perspective good lyrics, skills and songwriting can provide.

Peace,
spec
edit on 2-8-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
reply to post by miniatus

I would have given you a star, but you mentioned Just*n B*eber, so you don't deserve it now.

I mentioned him prefaced with a gag.. and indicating he sucks.. lol I deserve extra stars

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yes sir you are correct here 100% no if ands and butts, long time loving rock and roller who listened to WRIF out of Detroit and loved Carl Coffee?????spelling but anyone in the know knows.

BABY !!!! time to roll over now OOOOGHAAAA LOL

Anyways my point is music is depressing now and repetitive to say the least, there is no creativity what so ever at all.

Best concert I ever saw was Bob Seger at Cobo Hall.......Insane and then some.
I have a couple of hundred 33,s down stairs and god I am so happy I kept them along with my toshiba direct dirve turntable....

Steppen Wolf and all the best, of them.

Regards, Iwinder........S&F

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
That's why I listen to

1) Independent artists who give their music for free while accepting donations. And they will sell hard copies for lower than industry standard prices.

2) Video game scores/soundtracks.

Honestly video games are where the real music is at these days, in the category of corporate produced music at least. It's creative, made to fit the scenery/action, very versatile and has no real limitations to what is allowed.

On youtube it is a sort of underground phenomena that many will post VG OSTs for everyone to have the pleasure of listening.

Sure not all games have good soundtracks, but many of them have put out absolutely astonishing works of art that will go down in the books of history as pushing musical art forward in many varied directions.

#1. Exactly my model, my music is posted freely but available to buy .. it's not exactly a donation thing, but if you want to download it... you have options .. and it's on itunes..or other places

2. I've been told this too especially with my music.. I tend to do ambient, dark works.. no lyrics.. and it seems to be good for scoring.. I've had offers but nothing that came to fruition

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Not that we needed a study to prove this, but it does help to have clarification. That was an interesting chart. I never knew the sound level at the production stage went up. Doesn't The Who still hold the record for the loudest concert ever though?

I know that it was in the 90's that I stopped listening to the types of stations that I used to on a regular basis. I just didn't like what was coming out at that point. There was one station in Phoenix though, 98 KUPD, which had a hard rock format, they had an hour long alternative program with Mary McCann. That program turned me onto the likes of John Hiatt and Tom Waits, and it also made me want to find different ways of seeking out those types of artists.

I did find other ways and I also started to listen to country. Tim McGraw specifically. Back then Country music was like Rock in the 70's, which is what attracted me to it. But even the new country these days that you hear on the radio is garbage, and now you have to seek out ways to find the really good stuff there.

Doesn't seem to matter what genre the music is, if you want the good stuff you have to dig for it. Except jazz. That's always been good.

One thing that I seem to see differently than most other people is that I see music as something that can better your life. Most other people see it as entertainment only. If I'm having trouble with something in my life, seldom do I turn to someone else for help. I'll listen to music instead. People have agendas and opinions based on their lives, and I've very seldom found any help going that route. Music on the other hand doesn't care who you are. It's a reflection of the personal side of the person who made it and, as a musician, they want the people hearing it to feel what they feel. And the good musicians accomplish that. In spades.

This is why, in my opinion, the best stuff out there is going to stay accessible to people because people are going to continue to buy it, download it, and other wise keep it in public view. It doesn't matter if something is 10 years old or 100 years old. If it's good it's good. It's timeless because it effects who we are, and it's going to effect the next generation as much as it did the one before this. and if you want to call something on that level entertainment, that's your perogative.

Anyone here going to remember Justin Beiber in 10 years? Who are The Rolling Stones?

Thank you.

There's just something about a good solid melody and words that make sense, that make them both stick around for the long haul.

I just thought I'd use The Stones because that chart spans 50 years and so do they.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
well i think we all know that we didn't need science to prove this, but it doesn't hurt to have it backing us up
This is why i mainly listen to underground metal. Those bands aren't making a lot of money at all from record sales, they are doing it because they love it. You can hear the passion through the music, that's what i like. I also like listening to some classical music every one in a while. That is some crazy, intricate stuff.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
when will this generation learn that a computer is NOT a musical instrument

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

here is what i dont understand... last year, there was a new clip about the industry tryin to find out what made certain songs more popular. So they started analysing all this info on the top songs from way back. They discovered certain trends in all that. Now, forward to today.. Seems like since the news was made public, other bands picked up on the idea to mimic something of an older song that made it a hit that would some how do the same for the new song.

So it's pretty much a case of bands stealing stuff from the previous bands in hopes that their combined sound will pay off. It can be as easy as a rythym, note progression, or beat of the music that made it so popular. Bands mimicing that, yeah, it's pretty sad to be so unoriginal.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
sure pop stuff sucks, but you find gems esp in the metal scene.... ala Stealing Axion! Music is actually getting better, but they are scientists, seems they arn't smart enough to find good music.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
"All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted"

-Geddy Lee

So yeah, as usual, most people hating on modern music are being exceptionally closed-minded.

This whole album is littered with computer effects, samples, synths, etc. I double-dog-dare you to tell me that somehow invalidates the sincerity or emotional impact of this album:

www.youtube.com...

One of hundreds of examples. More available on request.

Also, as someone who's produced computer music, for someone to tell ME that what I'm doing isn't real music is #ing insulting. In fact, here's what I did, so you can # on me right to my face, rather than lumping me in with the 1% of modern stuff you've actually heard in passing while you switch over to NPR.

soundcloud.com...

I'll also be waiting for the modern music haters to show what they've been working on - oh wait, most people who bitch about modern music don't actually make music, making their opinion worth even less.

Yes most of it is crap, but a lot of stuff from the 60s and 70s was pretty mediocre, and that's why only select songs from that era are remembered.

Also, my main project now is a cover band playing Stones, The Who, Wilson Pickett, Bill Withers, Bob Marley, etc. so it's not like I don't like that stuff. You can keep that "trump card" in your pocket.

Rant over, back to eternally lurking.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
if u listen to mainstream music, most of it does suck imo. but why bother listening to it then? I can think of enough good songs made nowadays

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
As others have stated, 'I did not need scientific conformation of this to know it's true.'
Music today is just awful. It's not helped by the likes of X Factor and America's Got Talent etc. These vile shows preach to young morons that it is not the song writing that is the skill, it is the singing. Any idiot can be trained to sing to a decent level, even me (probably!).
Don't even get me started on Rihanna. She is hailed as some kind of goddess. She is in the papers every single damn day, numerous times a day, in multiple papers. Has she EVER written a song in her life? Has she hell!

There was a lot of music I didn't like when I was in highschool back in the 90's. But when I hear it again these days it sounds so much better, because I am able to compare it the garbage our ears are assaulted by in the here and now.

Hip Hop these days is utterly diabolical. It used to have a message. Rappers used to rap about things, about stuff. Now it's just a generic backing track with 'Look at all these big booty b**ches/ Look at my bling/ Look at my cars'.
It makes me sad. Even the big names in rap have lost their mojo (in my opinion). Jay Z, Kanye (their last album; they rapped about NOTHING). And Eminem, he just sounds angry these days, he's lost his humour and his charm.

I feel sorry for kids these days who think that what's on the radio and on these TV talent shows is music, and that's what music is about. God knows what this generation is going to be like in 10-20 years time. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Ah, nothing like a good rant... I think I'll go and listen to some Rihanna! D'oh!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
problem is not our generation ... there is plenty of great music done by today's artists. The problem is the men in suits who control what is heard in the mainstream

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JamesMc82

That's one thing that really bothers me also. I mean yea, I'm not going to say that no main stream artist can sing because that would be a straight lie. There are some very talented "singers" around today. The problem is that a decent amount of main stream artists today do no write their own stuff. Often they have a few songwriters who write the songs, then have a composer and/or backing band write the music. Basically these people are just covering a song written by the people behind the scenes. That in itself wouldn't bother me, what bothers me is when people are like "did you hear that new song by so and so, they are so talented" when they had nothing to do with the song writing process, its just "here sing these lyrics" and boom they are a star. thats what really bothers me

sorry for the mini rant

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RGIII

"All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted" -Geddy Lee

Sorry to be a doink, but that line was written by Neil Peart, so he should get the credit.

Also, to the guy that posted Dream Theater, good call. Especially that piece as it's fitting for the conversation.

One of my favorites:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The sad reality is that there are some very talented musicians and singers even in mainstream that didn't start with their froo-froo bubble gum pop crap. Katy Perry was trained in Italian opera and has an amazing voice. She wanted to do gospel music and did release an album but it didn't work out so she was bought out by the industry. And turned into a puppet. Lady Gaga went to one the most prestigious jazz schools in the country and was phenomenal! Again, the industry got their claws in her and did what they wanted with her. It exploits, uses and fabricates people. I honestly don't listen to a whole lot outside of my 90's grunge, Hendrix, and Sinatra but I do pay attention to what's happening and it makes me sick. Especially the symbolism and $ being sold and so blatantly displayed....sad. And of course, the sheep pay no mind and eat it right up :/

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join