It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists prove that todays industry music is un-inspired CRAP

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Not that we need a scientist to tell us that the majority of recent pop/chart music is crap! In fact there is nothing good in the charts anymore.

[If you suspect that songs today tend to
sound the same, it turns out you're right. A
group of Spanish scientists looked at a
huge database of songs and analyzed their
trends, publishing their results in the
scientific journal Nature. What they found
was proof positive that, over the last few
decades, songs have progressively gotten
louder, decreased their pitch transitions,
and generally become more homogeneous.

I used to like the music in the charts man.. there were bands.. now its just.. well check out a chart that does put some logic into it.. Graphs proving that todays music is -insert word here-

I could rant about this all day, but I won't.
Time to play some Pink Floyd on my acoustic.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Lol.

Didn't need science to verify that.

There was an interview someone posted where Billy Corgan basically says that its because the industry has become all about corporate interest, pumping out what has been successful for them in the past.

Killing creativity.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

my most hated song at the moment is this!

It so stupid!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Agreed, we don't need scientists to tell us today's music is crap. I recently had my cousin install a tin roof on my house, so I had to build an AM antenna so I could listen to the Doo Wop station. Off hand, I can't think of a single song I like produced after the 80s.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Lol.

Didn't need science to verify that.

There was an interview someone posted where Billy Corgan basically says that its because the industry has become all about corporate interest, pumping out what has been successful for them in the past.

Killing creativity.

Yeah it sucks. I know tons of brilliant musicians as well you know. Nice new avatar by the way man.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It depends what kind of music you listen to, I have learnt to play Requiem for a Dream and Clubbed to Death on piano but I also create Dnb & Dubstep and those are far from monotone. Obviously the generic stuff you get on TV etc all sounds the same, especially the type that most girls seem to listen to.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Boom, boom, boom, shake the room,
Don't know the words,
But I can name the f*ckin tune,

I can't name a single ring ting that's in the charts now. Maybe they re-use the same tune, rename it and just change the lyrics a bit. The 'boy bands' these days make the Pet Shop Boys look like an IRA punishment squad.
edit on 2-8-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
As a musician myself, I really loved this article ..

A lot of it also has to do with sampling past works, re-using past beats and melodies.. and the rise of loop based music.

Under Pressure by david bowie and queen has been used, as an example.. to create the core of Vanilla ice's "ice ice baby" .. even my favorite musician, Trent Reznor, has been guilty ( but admitting to it full on ) sampling the base line of "Closer" from an iggy pop tune...

Most big acts these days do very little original work.. they borrow melodies, beats and even lyrics from the past ..

With the tools out there today, anyone could be the next .. gag ... "Beiber" .. all you need is a voice and to not be too ugly ... there are scores of people out there who will write you lyrics, piece together a beat from loop libraries and set you off on your way..

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I would have given you a star, but you mentioned Just*n B*eber, so you don't deserve it now.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Maybe you all should be listening to independent companies that are putting out good music,you just don't hear it in the mainstream.
I stay away from that crap,the main stream.

Here is one I think you might enjoy.

edit on 2-8-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Never fear. There is a large underground movement of DIY artists. Some are quite amazing indeed.

Check out reverbnation.com if you have not already. It's just one of many sites that provide a venue for artists.

Did you really expect to find good music (with the exception of the classics) on the radio????

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
Never fear. There is a large underground movement of DIY artists. Some are quite amazing indeed.

Check out reverbnation.com if you have not already. It's just one of many sites that provide a venue for artists.

Did you really expect to find good music (with the exception of the classics) on the radio????

Yes, the bloke in the electronics store said I could listen to The Police on this special radio. Instead I get a bunch of guys on walkie-talkies.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Yeah it sucks. I know tons of brilliant musicians as well you know. Nice new avatar by the way man.

Thanks took me all fricken mourning to get it right.

Yeah the music industry is dying, meanwhile there is a ton of talent out there going unrecognized...

Look at the mega-upload thing, they took it down not for infringement, but because Artist started bypassing them directly.

Artist uploading their music independently got that site targeted.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I read the article and then went to the original source (it's a healthy read) posted on the Nature website here

This excerpt is near the end of the article and is one that I really liked:

Much of the gathered evidence points towards an important degree of conventionalism, in the sense of blockage or no-evolution, in the creation and production of contemporary western popular music. Thus, from a global perspective, popular music would have no clear trends and show no considerable changes in more than fifty years. Pitch codeword frequencies are found to be always under the same underlying pattern: a power law with the same exponent and fitting parameters. Moreover, frequency-based rankings of pitch codewords are practically identical, and several of the network metrics for pitch, timbre, and loudness remain immutable. Frequency distributions for timbre and loudness also fall under a universal pattern: a power law and a reversed log-normal distribution, respectively. However, these distributions' parameters do substantially change with years. In addition, some metrics for pitch networks clearly show a progression. Thus, beyond the global perspective, we observe a number of trends in the evolution of contemporary popular music. These point towards less variety in pitch transitions, towards a consistent homogenization of the timbral palette, and towards louder and, in the end, potentially poorer volume dynamics.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Not that we need a scientist to tell us that the majority of recent pop/chart music is crap! In fact there is nothing good in the charts anymore.

It's not just recent songs. It's probably songs since Pachelbel came out with Canon in D.

en.wikipedia.org...

Most of the top songs in the past 50 years use the same 4 chords derived from Conon in D.

This comedian does a good job of explaining this.

And to give you more perspective on how many songs use the same 4 chords. Here's Axis of Awesome.

So you're right. It's somewhat un-inspired crap.
But it's been that way probably since the the 17th century.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Seems like there is no legal ground to go after a site for simply allowing independent artists to upload their intellectual property.

Copyright infringement more than likely got them targeted.

The music industry is not dying, but the paradigm is changing. It is easier to produce music , and harder to sell it now. Give and take.

The industry knows their ability to regulate piracy has diminished greatly, and we are seeing a knee jerk reaction by them, grasping at straws.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

I know that there is good music I am around some great stuff and I know some great new stuff. I was pointing out the hideous decline in popular music talent over the past couple to few decades, getting steadily worse! It actually appalls me!!

There are no bands in the charts so logically less kids will be inspired to learn to play instruments..

There is loads of talent nowadays its just it is not in the limelight influencing kids. We have crap instead.

I love this tune.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Well, declining talent I can agree with. To me, the mainstream is not relevant.

I often have an internal argument with myself regarding complicated music vs. simplistic music. Am I able to look down my nose at the regurgitated crap that I hear on the radio? Is one form of music superior to another? Technically maybe, but that does not make something listenable to the average ear.

In the end, I realize it's all an opinion to begin with.

P.s. I enjoy reading your threads TU.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Yeah good music cannot be found on the radio it is all the same pre packaged crap . Progressive metal has a nice underground scene , honestly probably the last place right now to find any virtuosos of their instruments.

edit

Note this is all actually one song

edit on 2/8/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join