It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Campaign Sues to Restrict Military Voting: (lower than Low).

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Vote early vote often. The motto of the DNC. I live in Ohio and fully support this exception for the Military.

There is a reason WHY early voting was stopped to begin with.

www.ohio.com...

The problems with provisional ballots in 2004 prompted the early voting to the first place. Problem solved 8 years later?
www.nytimes.com...
edit on 2-8-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
In my mind, that really isn't the point. What harm is being done to ANYONE by making it easier for Military members to cast their legal ballot?

There is no harm in ANYONE voting early. So ask the GOP why they eliminated it for everyone else.

We still have absentee ballots in Ohio to submit an early vote. The debate concerns in person early voting specifically. Facts are facts

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

WOW!!! Just WOW! How can any American citizen support such a corrupt voting process??? How hard is it? Show proof you are in fact a citizen, and freakin vote!!!! For those against showing proof of who you are, you are just as corrupt as the system who creates the controversy in the first place!

Absentee votes work wonders for those who may not be able to vote in person! Why have a process for ANYONE to vote early????

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

It sounds as if the problem has little to do with early voting and more to do with a confusing system in place.

Registered voters were showing up at the right spot and were either confused or given wrong information about their precinct.

But more than one in three of the provisional ballots that were rejected were the result of voters showing up at the wrong polling place, in some cases just getting in the wrong line at the right location serving multiple precincts.

www.ohio.com...

And the other article cites problem that are not solved by restricting early voting.

From seven-hour lines that drove voters away to malfunctioning machines to poorly trained poll workers who directed people to the wrong polling places to uneven policies about the use of provisional ballots, Ohio has become this year's example for every ailment in the United States' electoral process.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Originally posted by jibeho
We still have absentee ballots in Ohio to submit an early vote.

So, the military people can use that option.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
something tells me this was all pre-planned...

obama acts like a-hole

ppl hate him

vote romney/RP

4-8 years later repeat only voting for clinton then...

left or right wing.. the flight path remains the same

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Have you ever served?

I will just go out on a limb here and pretty much guarantee you haven't given your statement. Soldiers don't have a lot of free time, not like a civie. They often spend a lot of time training, out all over guarding this or that.. as the nature of their responsibilities do not allow them to all just leave and go vote, as this would leave giant gaps in leave security etc..

I don't expect a life long civie to understand their world, I do espect them to be given a fair shake at exercising their right to vote just like everyone else.

Did it ever occur to you that the law exists for a reason? Or do you just not care as it doesn't effect you?

All you lifer civie pukes that wanna bitch about rights, yet lack the intestinal fortitude and personal courage to help ensure them.....I only have one thing to say.

HALF RIGHT FACE! FRONT LEENING REST POSITION, MOVE! NOW BEAT YOUR DISCUSTING RAINBOW BRIGHT WEARING FACES UNTIL US VETS GET TIRED OF WATCHING!
edit on 2-8-2012 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
There's no harm in allowing early voting, it's the same process. If it's good enough for the military then why is it bad for civilian voters? It allows denser higher-population centers to make voting more accessible to voters. Never a bad thing.

Republicans are hell-bent on restricting voting and keeping voter turnout low.

The GOP was brazen enough to eliminate early voting, but they weren't suicidal enough to eliminate it for the military. That doesn't change the idea that EVERYONE should be treated equally. Thus, the DNC sued to stop the GOP measure to end early voting.

The Thread title is 100% wrong. Obama's campaign is not suing to "restrict military voting". Just the opposite. They are suing so ALL voters can have access to voting.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: fixed typo

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
He knows how the military will vote. This is why Illinois mailed out 2800 ballots to active military too late for their votes to count in the last state election meanwhile giving 3200 ballots to all the inmates at the Cook co. jail in Chicago. It was the only way to keep a democrat in a position of power. This 1's even better. The congress in Illinois cannot pass bills to the senate without the blessing of the states attorney general signing off on it first.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

The Thread title is 100%. Obama's campaign is not suing to "restrict military voting". Just the opposite. They are suing so ALL voters can have access to voting.

You know what the funniest(saddest?) part is?

Breitbarts website has blatantly misinformed their readers and not one of them seemed to care.

They aren't even discussing the issue! All they did was throw around childish nicknames and go on and on about how much liberals suck.

That was weird.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
I don't expect a life long civie to understand their world, I do espect them to be given a fair shake at exercising their right to vote just like everyone else.

Operative word: FAIR. What's FAIR, is to let everyone have the same option of voting early, as it was before the GOP changed it.

Did it ever occur to you that the law exists for a reason?

Yes, the law existed in order for EVERYONE to have equal access to vote. The law was FINE before the GOP decided to cut off early voting (for everyone except their hard supporters...). I'm not a Democrat, but I sure hope they win this.

I won't address your issue about the military deserving special rights that the rest of us don't get... I don't buy the puffed up "military exceptionalism" attitude.

About face! March!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

reply to post by jibeho

Originally posted by jibeho
We still have absentee ballots in Ohio to submit an early vote.

So, the military people can use that option.

That would be a great idea if the delivery and handling of absentee military ballots didn't have a long and shameful history of getting screwed up. If the military member can be there to physically vote, absolutely let them. They may never get the chance or be so late it's totally irrelevant if left to mail in ballots from Kabul, Afghanistan or Ballad, Iraq.

From where I've been sitting the last few elections, there really HAS been a legitmate problem to solve on the military side of things. I do not see that same issue for local folks. Aside from my years in trucking, when I couldn't physically be in the state (I absentee'ed of course) I have personally been to and at every election for where I've lived. That's been in a few different states over my life, so it's not like I just have this special corner of simplicity here in Missouri and so that makes the difference.

If people who aren't physically ABLE to get to the ballot box cannot then understand how to use an absentee, I don't particularly want them voting anyway. Stupidity doesn't help and there really CAN be too much voting going on.

That applies as much to the Welfare Queens of Atlanta or Chicago as it does for Bubba and the Cowboy Mafia types in the area I live in here. Stupidity knows no race or creed...and I wish it couldn't find the voting instructions at all.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

You're not really giving any reason why people shouldn't have three days to vote at the poll, you know.
edit on 2-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
This doesn't make Obama a nut. In fact it's a sensible move from his perspective if a large portion of the military's going to vote Ron Paul.

I had to pause and go back and see the actual date you posted this.

The fact it was today 8/2/1012 made me laugh so hard I fell out of my chair.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

You're not really giving any reason why people shouldn't have three days to vote at the poll, you know.
edit on 2-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

Likewise, I've heard no reason why they SHOULD have multiple days to 'vote early and often'. I see a military purpose in it. I see absolutely no valid reason why Homer can't get his tail down to the ballot box like people have been doing for decades and decades in this nation. Why now, all the sudden are people incapable of voting on 1 day?

Naww.. Again, if they can't make it and can't understand how to use an absentee, the overall nation is better without their vote and I don't care if it would have had a little r or d. Stupidity doesn't need to vote and intelligence can get it all done on one day or a mail-in.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
This isn't taking anyone's right to vote away. The military has many ways that they can vote so this trying to restrict their vote is BS. There is no logical reason for a soldier who isn't serving in the field to have an extra three days to vote. They will still be able to vote early an extra three days aren't necessary.

So why are Democrats wasting money fighting a law that doesn't do anything? You think a country this deep in debt should throw money away on frivolous law suits? You must be an Obama supporter to have that outlook.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Why do you read that crap? At least LOOK at a second source... I know you never will. You'll just believe whatever the right-wing news tells you without looking any further, because it's what you WANT to be the truth.

Actually, the Republicans ELIMINATED the early voting period, but made an exception for military voters.
THAT'S why the Dems are suing.

The Republican-dominated Ohio legislature eliminated early voting in Ohio's elections this year, a restriction that disproportionately effects minority and low-income voters. Those populations use early voting to counteract the long lines they traditionally face on election day in the traditionally under-equipped and understaffed polling places in the neighborhoods.

The new restriction, however, does not apply to military voters, and because of that, the Obama campaign and the DNC are suing.

Source

Why shouldn't military members have extra days due to their situation and sacrifice. I'm sorry if minoriteis are too lazy to stand in line, that does not equal the sacrifice members of the military make.

Or should we have special minority days, Tue and Thu hispanics can vote, Mon-Wed blacks, and Fri is for the rest. Wouldn't want them waiting in line like other Americans.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
The lawsuit in fact says that if the military has the extra days to vote so should everybody. So not only is the title wrong but pretty much the entire OP.

The premise is still right, Obama is fighting to prevent the members of our armed forces who are in a very special situation from having extra days to vote. OP shot wide, but somehow still hit the mark.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Repubicans in Ohio have eliminated Early Voting - another of their voter suppression tactics.

The DNC is suing to make sure ALL Ohioans can retain Early Voting.

Obama campaign, DNC sue Ohio over early voting restrictions

The Republican-dominated Ohio legislature eliminated early voting in Ohio's elections this year, a restriction that disproportionately effects minority and low-income voters. Those populations use early voting to counteract the long lines they traditionally face on election day in the traditionally under-equipped and understaffed polling places in the neighborhoods.

The new restriction, however, does not apply to military voters, and because of that, the Obama campaign and the DNC are suing.

The OP's thread title and article headline are full-blown lies. The DNC is in fact, suing to restore Early Voting, and is not suing to impede military voting at all.

Mods/Admins, this topic needs to be given a HOAX alert.

Did you even read what you cited?

They are suing, not because early voting is needed, but because the military need to be excluded to make it fair. So they are giving them two options, don't let the military vote early or open it to everyone.

I'm sorry, some lazy person who won't wait in line does not equal a person about to be deployed, or sent to a new base. Leave your partisan blinders at the door.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The GOP manipulated the 3 day voting period to begin with...and I doubt very much thier motives were to extend any courtsey for members of the military.

Now the Dems want to manipulate the law again, and I don't believe thier motives are to extend equal rights to everyone.

Both parties motives are soo disingenuous, it's beyond obscene....personally I think it was a lame PR move on the Dems part...and at the end of the day, I don't see that the people of the US have any real choice, for some reason the little chess game the two parties want to play is of some "value" to them, it's of no real consequence to TPTB....and just a complete waste of time and money....and a losing game for the citizens of the US, and really the world....

I will stand in line on election day, and I am writing in Ron Paul....probably futile, and I doubt those ballots will ever be actually counted and reported on.....but I will continue to encourage anyone who will listen that we all need to reject this nonscence and send a message to these gangsters and war pigs, we are SICK of this "twisted" game.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join