It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kofi Annan Quits UN Syria Role

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

The UN-Arab League joint special envoy to Syria, Kofi Annan, is leaving his post, the UN has announced.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said Mr Annan had decided not to renew his mandate when it expires at the end of August.

Mr Annan authored a six-point peace plan for Syria which was intended to bring an end to the fighting.

Speaking at a press conference, Mr Annan said "at a time when we need action, there continues to be finger pointing and name calling in the Security Council".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
There is a video here to watch.

In my opinion, this points to an escalating war involving Syria that the elite want to see happen.

That is probably why Kofi Annan is frustrated - he genuinely wants to see the suffering of the Syrian people end, but the political agenda of all those involved is not for that.

Quitting his Syria role means that he doesn't feel like he could have an impact anymore, and that, in turn, points to the idea that the conflict in Syria is not going to end peacefully and might even escalate more.

www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 2-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

He has realized he cannot win against those determined to destabilize Syria,
I think he is actually a good guy,who could not do what he was tasked with due to innumerable external meddlers.

Lets face it,we in the UK/EU/USA have all had a hand in this,and all all other arab uprisings.
OK,not us per se,but our idiot governments who believe they can achieve order out of chaos.

Give them guns and bales of dollars to overthrow the very dictators we helped to install !!
Yeah,you can see why they don't trust us IMO.They ain't stupid,whatever the news tells you..
Our Governments just keep reapeating the same BS over and over,hoping no one will notice.
Will we ever learn?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It's just that the bribes directed his way weren't high enough to justify his continued participation.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
That mean one thing

He doesnt want to do anything with the coming invasion of Syria
by quitting his mediator role mean war is coming
and he know he cant do anything now
because the FSA have a hidden agenda to destroy assad and kill any of his supporter
children and woman included

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

He doesnt want to do anything with the coming invasion of Syria by quitting his mediator role mean war is coming

Thats the take I got on it.

He is washing his hands of the coming fiasco.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Okay, if I might observe something very important here, to my eye.

He isn't actually "quitting" but not renewing his contract at the end of August, right? I believe that is how this is reading, isn't it?

So...did anyone really believe Syria was going to be standing with Assad in power and/or alive in 30 days anyway? I don't think he's got 14 days, let alone 30.

Kofi just doesn't see a future in that job and neither do I. Err.... Nice of him to be so outright blunt about it though.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

www.bbc.co.uk

The UN-Arab League joint special envoy to Syria, Kofi Annan, is leaving his post, the UN has announced.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said Mr Annan had decided not to renew his mandate when it expires at the end of August.

Mr Annan authored a six-point peace plan for Syria which was intended to bring an end to the fighting.

Speaking at a press conference, Mr Annan said "at a time when we need action, there continues to be finger pointing and name calling in the Security Council".

You could LITERALLY put this in star wars, including the names, and it wouldn't seem out of place.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
His plan was a dud.

No place for him there anymore, he lost all credibility to get the sides to agree on anything.

Every UN meeting only resulted in Assad using the occasion to perform a new massacre as a message to the UN, so Annan's stated purpose of ending violence was actually causing more.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by Ben81

He doesnt want to do anything with the coming invasion of Syria by quitting his mediator role mean war is coming

Thats the take I got on it.

He is washing his hands of the coming fiasco.

It also show that he is PISSED at the US
he now see that his role was a joke .. that he was used and manipuled
now Kofi quitting they will say .. its Assad fault

Putin returning to power is not coincidential

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Kofi Annan is an international hustler.

He is a crook.

His plan all along was to achieve exactly what he did ....... Zero.

He and his team of swindlers got big money for this.

Quote from another thread from April 30th.
thread by xuenchen

Originally posted by xuenchen
Kofi Annan’s Pricey Syria Peace Mission: Almost $7.5 Million Over 10 Months
By Patrick Goodenough
April 30, 2012

It seems the United Nations Syrian "peace mission" will be expensive, very expensive.

"Mr." Kofi Annan, is submitting an operating budget to the U.N. worth around $7.5 Million !!!!

Maybe peace is worth it, but will we actually see "peace" ??

With Mr. Annan's shady record and questionable past, I wonder.

I think he likes his "Kofi" with plenty of "cream & sugar", plus all the green cash he and his band of pirates can get their hands on IMO.

I hope he makes the "peace" he preaches. I really do.

(CNSNews.com) – Kofi Annan’s precarious Syria peace mission will cost the world’s taxpayers almost $7.5 million, according to a document seeking U.N. General Assembly approval for the budget.

Over the 10-month period ending December 31, Annan and 17 other officials attached to the mission will account for a combined $3,022,300 in “salaries and common staff costs.”

“The effective discharge of the activities of the Joint Special Envoy [Annan] will require international staff to support his office, liaise with all relevant actors and manage the day-to-day activities,” states the budget document, dated April 11. “The staff will have an official base in Geneva and travel regularly to the field to liaise with relevant actors.”
"relevant actors" ??

Read the insanity in the story.

It's Your Dime ... this time !!

here's some of Kofi's "Credentials"

He and the U.N. jointly won the Nobel peace prize in 2001 “for their work for a better organized and more peaceful world,” but the latter part of his tenure was overshadowed by the scandal over corruption in the Iraq “oil-for-food” program.

The program was set up in 1996 to help ease hardships faced by ordinary Iraqis by allowing Saddam Hussein’s sanctioned regime to sell specified quantities of oil in return for food and medicines.

It was later found to have been riddled with fraud and corruption, and official inquiries resulted in numerous sanctions and prosecutions for fraud, corruption, money laundering and other offenses.

Asked during a March 2005 press conference whether he would quit over the scandal, he replied, “Hell, no.”
No Kidding !!

I feel very comfortable and have the utmost confidence in Kofi.

He is a man of and for the people

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
His plan was a dud.

No place for him there anymore, he lost all credibility to get the sides to agree on anything.

Every UN meeting only resulted in Assad using the occasion to perform a new massacre as a message to the UN, so Annan's stated purpose of ending violence was actually causing more.

Annan didn't have a specific plan. He just had a "suggestion" as to how thing's should be negotiated and achieved. He didn't defend one side against the other. Annan simply made the statement that the situation was getting even more out of control, giving clear warnings that if the situation wasn't resolved soon, the consequences for Syria, it's people and the whole region, could be too severe to make any positive outcome from this.

Basically Annan said that there should be a buffer zone of power, where all sides could meet and discuss the way forward. That buffer zone would allow for both sides to participate in a solution that didn't involve killing thousands of innocent people.

What really happened was that BOTH sides refused to sit down and talk, and BOTH sides decided to continue with offensive attacks on each-other, instead of making an effort for peace.

As for Assad using UN meetings to make more massacres, I have to disagree. I'm not sympathetic to the way Assad has been doing things, but we have to give a margin of doubt, since we have clear episodes in history where the people making the revolt weren't exactly good-hearted in spirit.

The Taliban case is a clear statement to that. Just because someone is opposing a regime, doesn't mean their opposition is valid and the outcome positive, and dispite everything, we must still hear the voice of the people who belong in Syria, and it isn't a clear cut that everyone wants Assad out.

Assad should keep defensive, and not offensive. The Rebels should cut down their offensive and resort more to diplomacy, and every peripheral government (Iran, Israel, U.S., Russia, China, EU, etc.) should make their support shown by forcing them to talk, instead of sending shipments of guns, helicopters or whatever...

If they didn't have the means to fight, they would be forced to either fight with their fists or resort to negotiations.

It wasn't Annan that failed. It was the whole situation and all it's participants.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I'm not aware of any situations regarding Annan that would make him a "hustler" or "crook".

But regarding his expenses, I don't see a big problem in that. The mission lasted months, and it involved a lot of people, and a lot of important people, like Annan himself. That type of security isn't cheap, I'm assuming.

And to be honest, I wouldn't risk my life going into Syria, just to bring people to a negotiations table, and not be well paid for it. If I wouldn't go unless I was well paid, we can all imagine the scale of a salary for someone like Kofi Annan doing it...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
What a loss to the world I mean really after then years and the scandals,oil for food, scamming carbon credits, and other crooked activity.

Means all those crooks in the UN should follow Annan's lead they all would be doing the world a favor.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Okay, if I might observe something very important here, to my eye.

He isn't actually "quitting" but not renewing his contract at the end of August, right? I believe that is how this is reading, isn't it?

semantics. He's choosing to not renew a contract that he has the option to renew. He is 'quitting'.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

Originally posted by darkbake

www.bbc.co.uk

You could LITERALLY put this in star wars, including the names, and it wouldn't seem out of place.

That, my friend, made my week.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
His plan was a dud.

Assad is one of the biggest if not the biggest piles of human waste at the head of any nation on the planet right now. Jesus Christ couldnt talk to this man without His foot up Assads ass.

top topics

join