It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Upholds Domestic Drone Use in Arrest of American Citizen: (Our Freedom died today)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

A North Dakota court has preliminarily upheld the first-ever use of an unmanned drone to assist in the arrest of an American citizen. A judge denied a request to dismiss charges Wednesday against Rodney Brossart, a man arrested last year after a 16-hour standoff with police at his Lakota, N.D., ranch. Brossart's lawyer argued that law enforcement's "warrantless use of [an] unmanned military-like surveillance aircraft" and "outrageous governmental conduct" warranted dismissal of the case

Court records state that last June, six cows wandered onto Brossart's 3,000 acre farm, about 60 miles west of Grand Forks. Brossart allegedly refused to return the cows, which led to a long, armed standoff with the Grand Forks police department. At some point during the standoff, Homeland Security, through an agreement with local police, offered up the use of an unmanned predator drone, which "was used for surveillance," according to the court documents.

Brossart is believed to be the only American citizen who was arrested with the assistance of a drone on U.S. soil. John Villasenor, of the Washington, D.C.-based Brookings Institution, says the legality of domestic drone use likely stems from two Supreme Court cases that allow police to use "public, navigable airspace" for evidence gathering.

Source: www.usnews.com...

Well, now there you have it. Our Freedom, as individual citizens in the USA, are now Crushed-beyond repair. Unless this case goes to the SCOTUS and they side with the citizen.

If they utilized Drones for SIX COWS on someones property... what do you think they are going to stop at?

I am not saying there isn't some legit purpose that L.E. may have to use such devices but I have to say, this isn't one of them.

Just wait till they perfect the little micro drones. They will be like flies around us. The sad thing is that this story, as odd as it is... won't be the only one that comes up with such trivial things to start it.

Watch out Lemonade stands and cookie & yard sales everywhere. The Gov't is Watching!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
And I thought they were only supposed to be used in training exercises? That's what the official word was when they authorized more than 20,000 drones for use in U.S. airspace earlier this year.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
What use is drone footage as evidence? Could the prosecution prove beyond doubt the person filmed is actually the defendant? We've got CCTV everywhere in the UK, and the footage is usually so crap it's practically worthless in court if the identification of whoever was filmed is disputed.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
There goes sex in a Hammock

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
And I thought they were only supposed to be used in training exercises? That's what the official word was when they authorized more than 20,000 drones for use in U.S. airspace earlier this year.

You actually believed them? This has been going on for ages. It doesn't matter if it goes to SCOTUS as they will uphold it. Both sides of the aisle want this power.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
In a stand off type situation or a chase etc .. I can actually see the use of a drone. I mean seriously... what's the difference between an unmanned drone and a police helicopter? Same thing, same results, except the drone is much cheaper to operate.

Now because Drones can potentially be very cheap to fly.. I can see them being deployed over highways like mosquitoes at a bbq. Just imagine the revenue. THAT is wrong imo .. so would be any on going surveillance like cruising the skies looking for something to target. Or being armed. All of those scenarios I except to see in my life time however.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by darkbake

You actually believed them? This has been going on for ages. It doesn't matter if it goes to SCOTUS as they will uphold it. Both sides of the aisle want this power.

Well, I see no reason to believe them anymore, so from now on any arguments that drones are o.k. because they aren't going to be used against U.S. citizens are invalid.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
SkyNet is 100% online & active!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

top topics

join