It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Superbird' Dives 150 Ft Underwater in 40 Secs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I just read this article and watched the video.
This is so cool! I thought some of you might like to see it as well.

The avian swimming sensation dove 150 feet in 40 seconds. That distance is equivalent to a 13-story skyscraper with very tall ceilings on each floor.

The bird then stayed underwater for 80 seconds, enough time for it to catch a snakelike fish. With the fish in its beak, the imperial cormorant then returned to the surface in 40 seconds. The footage marks the first time that researchers have been able to directly view the feeding technique of these talented birds. You can even see how the camera was attached to the bird’s back, since the view is of the bird's head as it pumps its feet to swim deeper.

The video was taken at Punta Leon in Patagonia, Argentina. This is a coastal protected area supporting more than 3.500 pairs of imperial cormorants. The research team has tracked 400+ cormorants along the Patagonian Coast of Argentina using such cutting-edge tools as multi-channel archival tags and high- resolution GPS-loggers, in addition to video.

Original Article Source

On the article was also this link that is interesting:
Modern Birds Are Really Baby Dinosaurs
edit on 8/2/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Whoah

I love diving seabirds. I had no idea they could go that deep. So awesome.

As to the second article you posted, I think it makes perfect sense that the dinosaurs that reproduced the fastest were the ones most likely to survive in the post-impact world. So if a species switched from maturing in years to becoming fertile in weeks as infant form dinosaurs it would have had the dual advantage of a fast enough population growth to stay alive and a smaller, more energy efficient form, allowing the scarce food to go further

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Awesome!

Thank you...

join