It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Tolerance" bully at Chic-fil-A

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaysandnights

Heres a tip for you. Guys have this thing called Gaydar. It is 99.9% accurate. If a bunch of guys say a guy is in the closet and gay. Then I would say there is a 99.9% chance of those guys being right.

THat being said I have nothing against gay people. Have a few friends that are gay. i live near west hollywood (it's a nice place to visit) THey can be some of the best company at a party because they usually have the best jokes. But this guy isn't helping their cause by acting just as bigoted as he assumes the workers of Chic-Fillet are.
edit on 2-8-2012 by BASSPLYR because: horrible spelling

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Heres a tip for you. Guys have this thing called Gaydar. It is 99.9% accurate. If a bunch of guys say a guy is in the closet and gay. Then I would say there is a 99.9% chance of those guys being right.
First of all, don't talk to me with a condescending "here's a tip for you" type comment. Secondly, I'm gay so therefore I would know what gaydar is, and mine is more developed than any random straight guy, and especially anti-gay straight guys. Thirdly, calling someone gay because they have a lisp is called using GAY STEREOTYPES to categorize someone. That's not having a gaydar. It's called being ignorant. If a bunch of idiot straight dudes, idiots in general, say something, usually the opposite is true, and that goes for who they label as gay, solely because they have a lisp or aren't masculine enough in their eyes.

As I said, this guy was a jerk, and no he isn't helping our cause at all. But what he did and what anti-gays do are not comparable and it's weak to try to jump on this as some example of how all liberals/gays/pro-gay straights are mean, irrational, hateful.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

You are being ignorant.
Wording is important. Nuances you know?
I didn't say he was gay. I just said he gives off that vibe or is making an observation and having an opinion intolerant now too? My best friend is gay.. I have no doubt he would agree with me on this fella. Nothing I said implied that supporting gay rights means he must be gay, I support gay rights and marriage equality. I am simply saying the dude comes off very feminine and in a manner that I see, more often than not, with gay men.

Grow up. Geeze, believe it or not but you are the one making leaps here and acting ignorant.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was gay, but said he wasn't simply to "add numbers" to the straight people protesting. Not that there would be a shortage of straight people in outrage over the companies comments because there are many, but so later on when the girl is relating the story and someone says "eh that person was probably gay" she can say "he was straight/he said he was straight." It is a real strategy to avoid immediate dismissal by hateful people that would think less of gay people.

edit on 2-8-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Looks like Mr. Tolerance lost his job over this.

Sometimes karma tastes almost as good as a fresh chicken sandwich and waffle-fries.

Vante regrets the unfortunate events that transpired yesterday in Tucson between our former CFO/Treasurer Adam Smith and an employee at Chick-fil-A. Effective immediately, Mr. Smith is no longer an employee of our company.

The actions of Mr. Smith do not reflect our corporate values in any manner....

More at the company's website:
www.marketwire.com...

edit on 8/2/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Well.. that was kind of an over reaction. I mean he was a smarmy little asshole, but he wasn't nearly as bad as he could have been. I would say he was a little overbearing and ignorant and definitely annoying, but not necessarily rude.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Looks like Mr. Tolerance lost his job over this.

Sometimes karma tastes almost as good as a fresh chicken sandwich and waffle-fries.

Vante regrets the unfortunate events that transpired yesterday in Tucson between our former CFO/Treasurer Adam Smith and an employee at Chick-fil-A. Effective immediately, Mr. Smith is no longer an employee of our company.

The actions of Mr. Smith do not reflect our corporate values in any manner....

More at the company's website:
www.marketwire.com...

Wow! Great find! Looks like the internet quickly turned on this guy.

Honestly, part of me was wondering if this was real. Hard to believe that someone could be that over-the-top hypocritical, but obviously it was!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Haha well maybe you have gone a little over sensitive because not only am I not an "anti-gay straight guy," but my best friend in probably the whole world is gay. The big kicker is that, not even knowing you, and knowing you are gay, I can still say I have probably helped fight more for your rights and equality than you have.

You are a clown. I can tell by my clowndar.

What is ironic is you are defending a guy (in the video) that had to add the disclaimer in that he isn't gay. Why did he add that disclaimer? The reason is much more offensive to you, as a gay person, than what I said. Sorry you weren't perceptive enough to catch it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Actually BASSPLYR can type in any way, shape or form he can.
It's the Internet, and freedom of speech rules not, "I gotta be careful who I offend".
He isn't "talking" to you in any condescending way.
You took it that way.
So don't get so easily offended.

The guy in the video was being an ignorant idiot.
It wasn't a group of "idiot straight dudes".
Thanks for that grossly inaccurate generalization of us straight guys though.
You're giving yourself a good name.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Haha well maybe you have gone a little over sensitive because not only am I not an "anti-gay straight guy," but my best friend in probably the whole world is gay.

You are a clown. I can tell by my clowndar.

What is ironic is you are defending a guy (in the video) that had to add the disclaimer in that he isn't gay. Why did he add that disclaimer? The reason is much more offensive to you, as a gay person, than what I said. Sorry you weren't perceptive enough to catch it.
I not once called you an anti-gay straight guy. I said that believing an anti-gay straight guy attitude on what makes someone "appear" gay or straight is not something to take serious, it means nothing.

I also not once defended this jerk and the "disclaimer" would be him making a point to highlight that he's not protesting CFA solely because he's gay, but because he's not a bigot and that one can be straight yet not homophobic. He's a jerk, he's lost his job and I have no sympathy. But what he did does not compare to what anti-gay people do on a daily basis, and they are not losing their jobs left and right as a result.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I admit it does seem a little harsh, especially if he wasn't representing his company in an official capacity. People should be allowed to do what they want in their offtime, as long as they aren't breaking laws. But I can't help but feel a twinge of schadenfreude.

I expect a long and wearisome courtroom battle over wrongful termination. Meanwhile half of all counties in the US are now considered disaster areas due to the ongoing drought. Talk about fiddling while Rome burns, or at least blisters in the sun. At this rate there may not be all that many chickens left next year to make sandwiches from (I exaggerate of course...but not by all that much). Not to mention the fracas in Syria and the global financial architecture teetering on the brink of a total meltdown. It would be nice if people of all opinons would bring more attention to bear on these matters instead of what goes on at fast-food joints...but I guess I have no right to wag fingers; after all here I am posting in this thread too.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
You are being ignorant.
Wording is important. Nuances you know?
I didn't say he was gay. I just said he gives off that vibe or is making an observation and having an opinion intolerant now too? My best friend is gay.. I have no doubt he would agree with me on this fella. Nothing I said implied that supporting gay rights means he must be gay, I support gay rights and marriage equality. I am simply saying the dude comes off very feminine and in a manner that I see, more often than not, with gay men.
And that is the problem. It is a stereotype. You are saying the guy acts gay. Gay is not an act. It is a sexual orientation. I really don't like it when anyone, gay or straight, says this guy acts gay or such and such is gay because he looks gay. It's not a look or an act.

I didn't call you anti-gay but that entire mentality is anti-gay, the mentality of a person being gay solely because of how you perceive them based on stereotypes. It is wrong.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was gay, but said he wasn't simply to "add numbers" to the straight people protesting. Not that there would be a shortage of straight people in outrage over the companies comments because there are many, but so later on when the girl is relating the story and someone says "eh that person was probably gay" she can say "he was straight/he said he was straight." It is a real strategy to avoid immediate dismissal by hateful people that would think less of gay people.

Now this I 100% agree with in principle.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok

Actually BASSPLYR can type in any way, shape or form he can.
It's the Internet, and freedom of speech rules not, "I gotta be careful who I offend".
He isn't "talking" to you in any condescending way.
You took it that way.
So don't get so easily offended.

The guy in the video was being an ignorant idiot.
It wasn't a group of "idiot straight dudes".
Thanks for that grossly inaccurate generalization of us straight guys though.
You're giving yourself a good name.

Well if a person wants to be condescending and come off rudely, I will call them out. That's it. If that person wants to continue acting like an ass, I'll ignore them on the spot. Anyone can type how they choose to, and I can just the same choose not to talk to them. And yes, when someone says "here's a hint, we all have gaydar" as if I'm somehow too blind or stupid to understand that, it is being condescending.

I did not generalize all straight men. Idiot straight dudes are not all straight men. Idiot straight dudes are idiot straight dudes. Straight dudes who label a guy gay because he has a lisp or "acts" gay are idiots, and thus are not to be taken seriously.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

And that right there is the problem with your reading comprehension because I not once said the he acted gay or stereotyped. There is a difference. There is double standard here because you will only perceive questioning someones sexuality or discussing it if there is prejudice involved, but if it's discussion with no regard then what the hell does it matter. I don't care if he's gay. I know there are feminine straight guys out there, it was just my opinion based on what I saw that he was probably gay. Also you did imply me as an "anti gay straight guy" when you were having your conversation with an above poster as I was the only person in the thread you were apparently and misguidedly comparing your gay detection abilities against for some inexplicable reason.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

No, it's not harsh. The guy was stupid to record, then post it on the internet. He was definitely lacking in good judgement and a Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer of a company must have good judgement. As they say, ya' can't fix stupid and this guy was stupid.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights
Well if a person wants to be condescending and come off rudely, I will call them out. That's it. If that person wants to continue acting like an ass, I'll ignore them on the spot. Anyone can type how they choose to, and I can just the same choose not to talk to them..

Call them out? To what means?
The only rudeness I see is coming from your posts.
So, keep calm and chive on there, pal.
It's just a discussion.
(veering off topic, I might add)

I did not generalize all straight men. Idiot straight dudes are not all straight men. Idiot straight dudes are idiot straight dudes. Straight dudes who label a guy gay because he has a lisp or "acts" gay are idiots, and thus are not to be taken seriously.

I took it as all "idiot straight dudes" are all straight dudes.
Context is a mother.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Fast-food restaurants are typically locally owned franchises, and not corporate. If they really wanted to make a difference, they would head over to corporate headquarters, park their cars in the streets, blocking the big-wigs from getting to work. Instead, they disrupt locally owned businesses, and people from their community from earning an honest wage to pay bills.

If you think being for or against Chik-Fil-A made you feel accomplished, remember the people who work there who were harassed, and belittled, and probably in many cases, sent home because of the overwhelming ignorance on both sides. Shame on you all.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Thing is, i totally support 'marriage equality', and i am in no way a supporter of fast food enterprises of any kind. But the way the left have acted about this whole thing makes me want to go eat there in protest. And I think thats saying a lot.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AvrilDupre
Fast-food restaurants are typically locally owned franchises, and not corporate. If they really wanted to make a difference, they would head over to corporate headquarters, park their cars in the streets, blocking the big-wigs from getting to work. Instead, they disrupt locally owned businesses, and people from their community from earning an honest wage to pay bills.
Something of the sort actually has/did/does occur but I know CFA has extra security at their main corporate office due to death threats.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Thing is, i totally support 'marriage equality', and i am in no way a supporter of fast food enterprises of any kind. But the way the left have acted about this whole thing makes me want to go eat there in protest. And I think thats saying a lot.
Not really. They have suffered a net loss in consumers; whether you go there or not won't change that.
edit on 2-8-2012 by crazydaysandnights because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

not really what?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join