It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Crocels Trolling Academy"...?! 12 Types of trolls...and how to be one

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
You all might be interested in looking at some of their articles...they have a number of different "techniques" to use, similar to the "apologetics guides" that religious folk seem to follow.

Is there one where the troll unsubscribes from this thread and ignores the child-like ramblings of posters who open "troll" posts?

I didn't see it.

UNSUBSCRIBE

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Whitney Phillips, a PhD student at the University of Oregon, studied trolls for her doctorate. She says they are mostly men in their 20s and early 30s, usually college-educated and intelligent.

Source

I understand people make unjustified, abusive posts and this is often confused with trolling, however, many a person who may cry foul of "being trolled" should probably learn a lot more humility and understand the internet is a big big place, and you will, without a doubt meet people who not particularly share your outlook on life and will, often with great humour, expose both your insecurities and failings.

This in my opinion is not bad thing.

Also a great many people out there simply cant take a joke. That is a fact.

edit on 2-8-2012 by Murad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Not sure if there is my kind on that list. Didn't seem like it. I'm being an a-hole sometimes so others will discover the truth for themselves. I blame ATS for making me such.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

If someone called me a wizard, this is what I'd think they meant...

But yeah, I've been using forums and chats etc. since then and I don't recall the term "troll" emerging until like the mid 2000s. Before that term, the "obvious troll" was just the guy people hated because he always, and probably successfully, tried to piss people off!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wildtimes, if you are a troll, then I am the Pope.

Obligatory line.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Thanks.

reply to post by AdamsMurmur

-- thank you, too!

reply to post by PsykoOps

I blame ATS for making me such.

!

Yeah, I .........

edit on 2-8-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm a "snark"

most posts are sarcastic one-liners

yay me

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

I'm a "snark"

most posts are sarcastic one-liners

yay me

Yeah you. Oh wait...'yay you'.....

I know.....

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Murad

I understand people make unjustified, abusive posts and this is often confused with trolling, however, many a person who may cry foul of "being trolled" should probably learn a lot more humility and understand the internet is a big big place, and you will, without a doubt meet people who not particularly share your outlook on life and will, often with great humour, expose both your insecurities and failings.

This in my opinion is not bad thing.

Agreed. So......

it seems we are opening our minds to "flavors" of "trolls" now!!
wow.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NYUKLES

Is there one where the troll unsubscribes from this thread and ignores the child-like ramblings of posters who open "troll" posts?

I didn't see it.

UNSUBSCRIBE

Wha----? Huh?
"The troll unsubscribes from this thread and ignores ...." what? Do who in the what now?

I was siimply posting an article. Sorry if you are offended...if you're trying to add to the humor of it, erm, I don't get it.

OOoooh! I see. Brand new...gettin' in those mandatory early posts...... Welcome to ATS.

On second glance, I see that the "apologetics" reference may have been offensive to your sensibilities.
Sorry about that. It all "is what it is," though.

Again, Welcome to ATS.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Yes, trolls can be good. I'm also a mix of quite a few of those troll types.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic

Yes, trolls can be good. I'm also a mix of quite a few of those troll types.

You know, I was musing on this while dawn was breaking...
It seems the Academy "Dean" has lumped EVERYONE who participates in forum discussions (especially responding to others, but not excluding those who start threads just to spark debate),

perhaps the term "troll" is now expanding, as internet interaction evolves; unfortunately, it still carries a negative connotation. Those who participate in order to deny ignorance, expose hypocrisy and disinfo, and be supportive of others should be called "change agents"...(that's how we were encouraged to think of ourselves in the Social Work field -- at my grad school, anyway).

There are ugly, trouble-making trolls, too.....seems an "as opposed to" crow-bar separation needs to be emphasized.

Reminds me of an Eddie Izzard clip:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Wildtimes, as much as I liked you before, well now I like you even more!!!

Eddie Izzard rocks. Any one with the wit to appreciate his comedic styling is cool beans, in my book. He does better make up than some women Ive seen!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join