Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

"The Crocels Trolling Academy"...?! 12 Types of trolls...and how to be one

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Came across this "academy" today, quite arbitrarily, while researching "trolling", "flaming", "debating techniques", etc. because I'm old skool and want to know what all the jargon means.
www.trollingacademy.org...
This site apparently is a guide to trolling -- and it appears to be serious!

I read the 12 types, and was flabbergasted to see that I myself "could be considered" one of the types. I am by no means a "Troll", and this rather shocked me.

Recently there was a thread about the US State Dept wanting to start up "Viral Peace" trolling; which I thought of posting but found on ATS search was already brought up...that is included on this Academy's main page.

Still.....it made me wonder....am I, inadvertently, really a type of "troll"?
ACCKK!!

Anyone else see a description that could "fit your style"?
I don't know what to make of this. It seems to be presented as a legitimate way of "taking down an opponent", even with specific articles for use in contentious areas like politics, religion, and the like...

The 12 Types of Internet Troller
June 6, 2012
The twelve types of troller are quite unique and will be grouped into pairs because some are quite similar and differing in that one group posts kudos to be friendly and the other flames to be nasty.

Troller -- Character Type -- Description

Lurker: Silent calls by accident, etc., clicking on adverts or ‘like’ buttons, using ’referrer spoofers’, modifying opinion polls or user kudos scores.

Elder: An elder is an out bound member of the community, often engaging in “trolling for newbies”, where they wind up the newer members often without questioning from other members.

Troll: A Troll takes part in trolling to entertain others and bring some entertainment to an online community.

Big Man: A Big Man does trolling by posting something pleasing to others in order to support their world view,

Flirt: A Flirt takes part in trolling to help others be sociable, including through light ’teasing’

Snert: A Snert takes part in trolling to harm others for their own sick entertainment

MHBFY Jenny: A MHBFY Jenny takes part in trolling to help people see the lighter side of life and to help others come to terms with their concerns

E-Venger: An E-Venger does trolling in order to trip someone up so that their ‘true colours’ are revealed.

Wizard: A wizard does trolling through making up and sharing content that has humorous effect.

Iconoclast: An Iconoclast takes part in trolling to help others discover ‘the truth’, o ten by telling them things completely factual, but which may drive them into a state of consternation. They may post links to content that contradicts the worldview of their target.

Ripper: A Ripper takes part in self-deprecating trolling in order to build a false sense of empathy from others.

Chatroom Bob: A chatroom bob takes part in trolling to gain the trust of others members in order to exploit them.

Detailed analyses or character descriptions are given after the list.

This amazes me...!!
Really? There's an "art" to trolling, and people do it on purpose to upset the apple cart or disprove things? Or even stranger, to "expose" the "true colors" of others in an attempt to shed light on trouble (a positive thing)....?

I had no idea. Please, ATS, tell me if this is common knowledge and I'm just too "old" and "internet illiterate" to even fathom such a thing...
I hope to high heaven I am not, and have never been, a "troll" on purpose...

If this thread gets any traffic, I'll be surprised, but..yes, I'm willing to share which one "seems" to fit me if others can be as honest as well..

Is this really for real? Are you guys and gals aware of these categories? Doing these things on purpose? Or am I just hopelessly naive? I feel like I've been "pigeon-holed" without even knowing there were "categories" to "label" me with!
Every post I make, every thread start, is in earnest, and comes from my gut, my instinct, and my deeply held principles.
Now I'm some kind of "troll"?
Ouch!

~wild
edit on 2-8-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

If I respond to your thread about trolling does that make me a troll.
2nd

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

I don't have the slightest idea!! Not in my book, though....
I was just shocked to see this. Wondered if I'm just too "green" to know better...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That pretty much covers anyone who has ever posted anything on the Internet

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

If you aren't a troll, why are you searching a trolling academy website?

It is even a direct website, not like an article on yahoo you found or anything......

If it looks like a troll, and smells like a troll.....Then.....it probably is a troll....

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Anyone who trolls should be dragged out of their homes and executed in front of their families. (yes, that was just a twist on what Clarkson said about public sector strikers).

Horrible nasty little people, need banned off the internet and made to watch Justin Beiber concerts over and over.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

If you aren't a troll, why are you searching a trolling academy website?

I wasn't, I was looking up definitions of "trolling" and "flaming" and it popped up on Google, so I clicked on it, hardly able to believe it....I was researching so that I could learn how to identify them! Just for my own knowledge....so I'm not an easy target.

Why would you even ask me that?!!

Click on the link...it's a real .org!!
Even has the guy's picture on it. And examples. Strange. Reminds me of an "apologetics" website I saw a few months ago when trying to learn what that was....
I like "definitions"...so that I can use them. Particularly bothered by terms like "straw man" and "red herring" and "no true scotsman"...terms I see flung about but don't understand, so I thought I would edumacate myself in the finer things of "debate".

I had been reading the Debate Forum earlier, and thought I'd learn more about debating, and just surfing led me to the site.
Innocent!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Iconoclast: An Iconoclast takes part in trolling to help others discover ‘the truth’, o ten by telling them things completely factual, but which may drive them into a state of consternation. They may post links to content that contradicts the worldview of their target.

If this is trolling I've been doing it since the early years.

I've been a troll my whole life...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

That pretty much covers anyone who has ever posted anything on the Internet

Yeah, that's what I thought!! It could be anybody!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

It was a trolling joke darling......I promise I meant no disrespect from it at all.....I figured with all the troll jokes going around for this thread, I would join in the fun!!

Good find though, good to be able to point those little buggers out!! S&F for your effort!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

It was a trolling joke darling......I promise I meant no disrespect from it at all.....I figured with all the troll jokes going around for this thread, I would join in the fun!!

obee kaybee....
thanks!! Yeah, let's play!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Heyoka

and i agree with 12votz it's to overly encompassing, perhaps your source is an apologist for trolling?

the iconoclast and sacred clown are pretty much the same
and should not be considered a troll
edit on 2-8-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-8-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: fixed pic

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You heard it here first people.....BONCHO is a troll!!

Yeah that description pretty much sums us all up!! WTF??

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's an art, and like some art, some of it really sucks, while other works are pretty damn good.

Trolling tries to evoke some kind of response (sometimes but not always a negative response, and that's what people fail to understand), and the evocation of said response is the basis of it and why it's called trolling. Technically, we are all trolls then.
It's all a matter of perspective, like art, and like much of life in general.

As for that list, I've seen most of that over the years and not just online. It's a little constricting though, but you know, it's just a palette. Red, Green, and so on, seem constrictive until we use all these colours together to paint a wonderful troll.

Some people see trolls as this and only this:

But that's just an obvious troll, usually thought of as the basement dwelling kid with issues. But obvious trolls are newbs at trolling, yet still good at baiting people who are easily baited thanks to the person's insecurity. If you get trolled by an obvious troll then it's your own fault.

Now here's some good trolling using wisdom:

Best way to troll imo.

edit on 2/8/12 by AdamsMurmur because:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

If this is trolling I've been doing it since the early years.

Yeah, the Iconoclast....I saw myself in that one, and in the MHBFY Jenny (My Heart Bleeds for You)....
who tries to lighten the mood and make people feel better....

bizarro world.
Thanks for responding!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
seems like they missed the sanctimonious troll declarer troll.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

But that's just an obvious troll, usually thought of as the basement dwelling kid with issues. But obvious trolls are newbs at trolling, yet still good at baiting people who are easily baited thanks to the person's insecurity. If you get trolled by an obvious troll then it's your own fault.

Ya know? I've been part of bulletin boards since the 90s (my how things have changed)...and don't recall the term "troll" from back then. And as a matter of fact, I was actually wondering if I am capable of recognizing an "obvious troll"....

don't wanna feed them OR be them!!

Okay, I'm reassured now, that's better. We are all trolls. Now I have to wonder if we have just discovered a fun way to blame each other!! Stay tuned!! Rather than just "you are trolling", we can say "you are a Big Man Troll!" (or whatever)...

maybe some people will be as baffled by that as I am with "red herring" and "straw man" and "no true scotsman fallacies" that the debaters toss about so easily! I hate feeling like an outsider or dimwit!

Still...I guess we should be on the look-out, or else just start labeling each other....
hey, they could add it to the profile data! Or the mini profile...
jk
jk!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rom12345

the sanctimonious troll declarer troll.

Well, it is just a start-up "academy". Although you CAN take the courses, and they have financial aid available (believe it or not...look at the site!)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You all might be interested in looking at some of their articles...they have a number of different "techniques" to use, similar to the "apologetics guides" that religious folk seem to follow.

Like a handbook. Just weird. Anyway, guys, thanks for your comments!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Anyone who trolls should be dragged out of their homes and executed in front of their families.

Welll....anyone who trolls us, yeah.....
I guess it gives some credence to the phrase "takes one to know one", eh?

Okay, I gotta go watch Through the Wormhole now...

Peace!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join