It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A survey regarding religious impact of ET invasion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Could the world's religions survive the discovery of extraterrestrial life? Or would their beliefs be so shaken that they would eventually collapse?

A survey (pdf) discussed on Tuesday at a meeting on the search for alien life at the Royal Society in London suggests religion would survive.

The survey, designed by Ted Peters, a professor of Systematic Theology at the Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary and the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, California, asked 1300 people whether they thought the discovery of extraterrestrial intelligence would shake their individual belief, the strength of their religion as a whole or would adversely affect the beliefs of other religions. The survey included both religious and non-religious people, and most respondents were based in the US.

None of the 70 Buddhists questioned thought that the discovery of ET would undercut their belief systems, although 40 per cent thought it could pose problems for other religions.

More Roman Catholics believed ET could pose a problem for their faith. Only 8 per cent of the 120 surveyed thought that their individual beliefs would be shaken, but nearly a quarter – 22 per cent – said it could adversely affect their religion. Even more – 30 per cent – thought it could threaten the beliefs of other religious people.
Singled out

source

I find the claim of the survey a little hard to swallow. How do you think ET contact could change your beliefs?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
In christian theology in history there was something called the Plurality of worlds theology, it basically said God was great enough to have other creations out there.

It even addressed the theological implications of it, it seems only some Modern Christianity has a problem with this thought, and even that I think is shrinking.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I believe in Gods. I just don't think there is 1 God in this entire universe. The hard proof of ET would just confirm our ancient history that our Gods were just indeed ET with great powers. Too me that is good enough for them to be called a God.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

You would consider worshiping these ETs and look at it as a confirmation of your faith?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnarchysAngel
I find the claim of the survey a little hard to swallow. How do you think ET contact could change your beliefs?

ET contact would not change my beliefs, it would just validate them. I am prepared to accept any truth. I just wish we could hurry up and find out once and for all who was correct!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AnarchysAngel

Intuitively, it sounds about right. Most individuals have come to resolve the Science v. Faith issue for themselves. It is not surprising, then, that so many people would be accepting of such a discovery, while doubting the ability of the religious institutions to adapt. In fact, it would only be a small number of fundamentalist members of various religions that would be unable to accept the discovery, just as there are those who reject evolution, the geological time scale, the round Earth and so forth.

Most likely, the discovery would have an impact not unlike the Apollo 8 "Earthrise" photograph. People would suddenly realize that the Earth's population is a single unique and precious species, but one that is part of a larger community of sentient beings.

A quick side note: Buddhists would have no trouble with extraterrestrial life because the Tibetan canon includes writings allegedly by extraterrestrials!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Wouldn't do much of anything to mine - I'm a christian, and I firmly believe in extra-terrestrial/inter-dimensional entities who act in and upon the physical universe. I just don't subscribe to the belief that they're extraterrestrial *biological* entities with the usually-expected origin in our naturalistic understanding of the universe.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I don't think aliens would have any effect on my faith (I'm Christian). The universe is huge, who are we to say that He only created us? I'm very certain that He created other worlds and I'm very certain that there are other worlds that weren't created by Him. Most people don't realize just how big the universe is and how much could be out there. So if I was given hard proof or heck, even meant one, that aliens do exist my faith wouldn't be negatively affected, even if they did invade. It would make me turn to Him even more. I think that those who are shaken by that don't actually believe in what they believe or have a very fragile faith.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Wouldn't really affect my faith....

Depending on what was actually happening I would operate under two basic paradigms:

1) God could indeed have made beings on other worlds. So it is entirely possible and functional within my faith.

2).Depending on other events, these beings could in fact be demons and could be part of the Christian Eschatology and it's corresponding events.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
it wouldn't affect my faith either.I would still believe in God and the afterlife.Now some evangelicals would probably be up in arms and throwing holy water on the aliens and the like.I would be interested in there beliefs in religion and the afterlife.

Here is some food for thought maybe they will be missionarys here to spread the good word of there god like christians have done here or maybe they will convert us like in the middle ages.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Interesting to note that they each thought their own religion would be fine- it's the others that would suffer.
Well that's because "we're" right and "they're" wrong.
Very human response, so no, I don't think it would be too disastrous for any organised religion (short term any way)...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Well, considering the word, “invasion” from the OP’s headline, I’m sure that we would be too busy resisting or at least trying to, rather than worrying about the religious implications. That would be left to those who have run away.

But if ET suddenly popped up at, let’s say the Olympic closing ceremonies and come in peace, I would have to say that I agree with the Buddhists and Hindus, even the Muslims.

That actually surprised me.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What if the ETs had no religion and zero interest in ours? Would that change the response of the major faiths in the world?

Buddhist says, "we are fine, you are all in trouble"

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Many mainstream religions when discussing the topic will say "God" is greater than we thought or "God" is the creator of the universe, etc...

I don't see why confirmation of intelligent beings other than ourselves would shake anyone's faith.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I wonder if the religions of the world would all try to convert them?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The Roman Catholic Church is counting on it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Kali74

But of course! There are religious extremeists who would try to convert roadkill.

And that explains why I believe in a higher power but depise organized religions.

There are just to many nutjobs out there.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

reply to post by HawkeyeNation

You would consider worshiping these ETs and look at it as a confirmation of your faith?

Well the problem I have is I really don't worship God right now as it is. So I can't say that anything would really change. I'm pretty open to all of the beliefs on God right now. I'm a guy that doesn't really believe in prayer.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

How do you think ET contact could change your beliefs?

It wont they will either explain to ALL their relation to the CREATOR and its GOD(s) sends who have visited EA*RTH and clarify religions base encouraging what many have read and been taught. Or they ignore all questions that would help out forcing many closer to GOD(s) once its realized they are not GOD(S) but something related to the more destructive of the CREATORS family.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think among Christians, it will only be the hardcore fundamentalists that will have a come apart, and want to exorcise them from the earth. Many of them believe we are it. There isn't any other biological life in the universe, and to suggest otherwise is blasphemy. I guarantee you, it won't be pretty.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join