It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just dont understand liberals,

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I am a strong supporter of the Constitution as it is written. I would much prefer we were still beholden to it.
I would celebrate any state whose people voted to become the most liberal, big government state in the union.
Free to pass any restrictions on themselves they wanted. Free to pass any taxes on themselves they see fit. To legalize or outlaw any behavior they see a need to.

What pains me is you would deny me the same. You accept only compliance and subjugation. Nothing else is acceptable.
What I would celebrate for you doing, you would give scorn in return. The system we have is set up in such a way that we can relocate to any state that best reflects our values. Your system takes away this option and seeks to make each state a copy of the other.
I have no doubt the vast majority has nothing but the best intentions for everyone, but help unasked for is interference.
Exercise your states 10th amendment and make it the most liberal place on the planet, but for the love of your countrymen, allow them to do the same. Just be there to catch the other if they should fall
edit on 2-8-2012 by ronnieray123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ronnieray123

What is your definition of "a liberal"?

And also what is a "gfimme"?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ronnieray123

Maybe your inability to understand is related to your need to label them.

I just don't understand people that aren't:

Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis)[1] is a broad political ideology or worldview founded on the ideas of liberty and equality.[2] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally liberals support ideas such as capitalism (either regulated or not), constitutionalism, liberal democracy, free and fair elections, human rights and the free exercise of religion.[3][4][5][6][7]

Source

See, even you die hard "conservatives" are actually liberals. It's pretty funny. Let me explain that.

Find me a conservative that doesn't support:

liberty and equality
capitalism
constitutionalism
free and fair elections
human rights
the free exercise of religion

Actually, maybe with the exception of "equality" that sums up the Republican party more than the Democratic party.
edit on 2-8-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Dude when ever I start a new post I always hit enter after I type the subject....just force of habit and it publishes my post before I am ready......not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I mean well

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Did i say conservative?? I thought I said Constitution.....you are assigning me a label tsk tsk

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

See, even you die hard "conservatives" are actually liberals. It's pretty funny. Let me explain that.

I said I believed in the constitution, never mentioned the word conservative....are you labeling me???

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I am a strong supporter of the Constitution as it is written. I would much prefer we were still beholden to it.
I would celebrate any state whose people voted to become the most liberal, big government state in the union.
Free to pass any restrictions on themselves they wanted. Free to pass any taxes on themselves they see fit. To legalize or outlaw any behavior they see a need to.

What pains me is you would deny me the same. You accept only compliance and subjugation. Nothing else is acceptable.
What I would celebrate for you doing, you would give scorn in return. The system we have is set up in such a way that we can relocate to any state that best reflects our values. Your system takes away this option and seeks to make each state a copy of the other.
I have no doubt the vast majority has nothing but the best intentions for everyone, but help unasked for is interference.
Exercise your states 10th amendment and make it the most liberal place on the planet, but for the love of your countrymen, allow them to do the same. Just be there to catch the other if they should fall

GREAT POST!!!

As a bleeding heart liberal, I completely and wholeheartedly agree with what you just said. You are absolutely correct and this is the way that America should work. The only real conflict should be at the national policy level.

Good stuff.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

So are you blaming the state of the nation on "Liberals"?

Did the GOP and conservatives have anything to do with diminishing states rights? Perhaps your dissatisfaction with the status quo needs to be examined before you place blame.

Just sayin....

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Oh no sir not at all.............That would be foolish and make me look even worse than I already am. I only have to look in the mirror to see whose fault it is, Think that could be said of all of us really.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Maybe your inability to understand is related to your need to label them.

I just don't understand people that aren't:

Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis)[1] is a broad political ideology or worldview founded on the ideas of liberty and equality.[2] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally liberals support ideas such as capitalism (either regulated or not), constitutionalism, liberal democracy, free and fair elections, human rights and the free exercise of religion.[3][4][5][6][7]

Source

The word Liberal has been perverted. Just like the word gay.

Liberals these days, don't stand for anything in the definition you posted.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

You mean the Constitution that allows for amendments,and a process to repeal them?

What are you exactly so upset about? Obamacare?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The traditional labels are no longer valid. With an insignificantly small number of exceptions, everyone in Washington is a Corporatist. Everything else is political cross-dressing, and a Big Time Wrestling show for the rubes to have a rooting interest.

Welcome to ATS.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

It all seems good to the mind until you realize that the actions of one state influence another, especially in a globalized world. The world is not big anymore. It's very small these days.

Example:

1) Conservative state pollutes to produce a refined resource. Liberal state uses a non-polluting, but much slower and expensive method. Additionally, there're few people in the liberal state that enjoy to work in that field. The pollution from the conservative state enters the ocean and pollutes the shores of the liberal state. Any emissions into the atmosphere from the conservative state also apply.
2) Liberal state allows public displays of sex and eroticism. They're also the #1 information technology capital of the world and pollute the global network with sexual and erotic images. Many of the people in the liberal state end up somehow in the conservative state as an undergroup minority and riot for additional sexual freedoms even as the conservative state rejects them.

Etc. The actions of one state will influence another. This is just the way it's.

What goes around comes around. No country is truly isolated from the rest.

What if one state declares it to be lawful to kill homosexuals? This is moral pollution. If one state does this then it'll inevitably pollute the moral waters of the world and cause other states stress.

Broadly, what you're saying is that family members can make their own rules. But you should already know that family members have to compromise since they're under one roof. For some reason, you failed to note that we're all on planet earth. We're under one roof. Continents and islands do not isolate us. Nature and technology and human desires cause us all to be close to one another.
edit on 2-8-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Oh, so this about state pride?

You're basing your entire political ideology on what amounts to a bumper sticker?

Also, the "conservatives" that you so admire are the equivalent of Jenny From The Block. Don't be fooled by my millions of corporate contributions,I'm still for the lil guy!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I practice no political religion. But I do know the Bill of Rights tries to instill us all a couple of things. Things that so many people either don't care or are just to busy to stop and think about for a moment, I really hope it is because they are busy.
Many of our differences would be mutually worked if we let them.
One side tells you they are for capitalism, they tell you people vote with their dollars and then tell you the majority of people are against abortion. Ok then, leave the clinics alone and if nobody wants them they will be unprofitable and close down..... Problem solved. What did that take me 5 minutes to fix? Everyone got what they wanted. Stuck on the same topic for 40 years, and for what.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

You have to understand that real Liberalism is dead. Progressives in the early 1900's, you know America's secret third Political Party with the wolf in sheep's clothing as their symbol, hijacked liberalism and now pretend to be liberals.

The type of people your dealing with, are wolves in sheep's clothing people.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Ronnnieray123, article 1, section 10 of the United States’ constitution explicitly limits what states are permitted to do. In these matters the federal government is supreme.

The opinions and the best interests of individual states often differ and/or conflict with that of other states.

I want to retain our federal safety, financial and legal regulations to protect our individual concerns regarding such issues as minimum wage, product, work places or public area’s safety. I additionally want to retain the portability and continuous sustainability of our other federal .social and medical benefits. I advocate a global trade policy that would better serve our nation’s economy.

We may need to pass through your state in order to reach other other states or nations.
The jurisdiction of the federal government is derived from “we the people” rather than from our states’ governments. Our states are constitutionally limited to what and who can be denied passage across our state borders.

Are you advocating we refight the civil war that affirmed the jurisdiction of our federal government over such matters as drafted within our constitution?

Respectfully Supposn

edit on 15-10-2012 by Supposn because: repeated words

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

he system we have is set up in such a way that we can relocate to any state that best reflects our values.

I don't think this is true. There are millions of people who could not afford to relocate or can't because of health issues. And what about people who don't want to leave their home, family, and friends behind? What if your state passed a bunch of bogus laws that you strongly disagreed with or that made it impossible to continue living comfortably in the place of your choosing? Shouldn't people be protected from some kinds of lawmaking?

edit on 15-10-2012 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'd rather have a unified set of laws across the nation rather than 50 individual laws that don't match.

Let me give you an example. Say I live in State "A", and in State "A" we have decided we want clean water to drink. So we pass regulations that prohibit factories from dumping toxic waste into our rivers. Now State "B" is located to our north, and the main river that flows into State "A" also flows through State "B". Well, State "B" decides that they don't need any regulations on toxic dumping into rivers. So factories flock to state "B", dump tons of toxic material into the river, and it all flows downriver into State "A".

Tell me, where is the "freedom" of State "A" in that scenario?

So sorry, but you are just going to have to deal with it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join