Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Chinese teen kills 9 in knife attack. This is a Call to ban Knifes in America

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Woah, lots of lost logic around this thread.

People are saying that if you ban guns from ordinary citizens, then criminals won't have guns either. LOL. Nope. I'm actually OK with the current gun laws (having gone through them to get my blue card), I accept that I have to go through a background check for my weapon purchase. BUT, criminals don't follow laws, you see? That's what makes them a criminal. They obtain the gun or other weapon, as well as drugs, stolen CC's, or whatever else they want via the black market. A market that has proven time and time again impossible to crush, be it times of Prohibition, or during the drug war like now, It is proven that where there is a will, there is a way. And people keep wanting to kill other people so that's not going to stop with banning anything.

Why don't they try banning killing people?

I vote that Government start doing that first. Set a good example and all.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Quit freaking out about every little bloody thing. Just because some people got stabbed in China, in no way does that mean that knives should be banned. Seriously, did you even think before you posted that?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

Quit freaking out about every little bloody thing. Just because some people got stabbed in China, in no way does that mean that knives should be banned. Seriously, did you even think before you posted that?

He was using sarcasm, portraying the "logic" the government may use to strip people of their rights further.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Are you serious? I sincerely hope you are not. 90% of all guns in the USA were trafficked illegally. Banning law-abiding citizens from having firearms will do nothing but leave them defenseless when the time comes that they are being overrun. And yes, the time will come. Mark my words.

P.S. It helps if you research a topic before commenting on it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'm all for banning knife blades over 74 inches long. People don't need to carry around knives that long.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

Sarcasm does not transfer well over to text. What ever happened to the days when people said what they meant and meant what they said? Has such a time ever existed?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman
reply to post by JayFlores

"Merely because you don't have the legal right to do so. Your "freedoms" are very limited to what the queen and the government over there tell you.
I know enough about the UK ,from my many friends on this site, to know its not really a good place to visit and I damn sure don't want to live there,
And you made my point clearly enough. Mind your own back yard and quit worrying about whats going on in ours." And I suggest you do the same. Since you assume the queen actually does anything you obviously don't know much about what its actually like here.

And I ask you again please reply without paranoia being involved in the answer, how is NOT feeling the need to carry a deadly weapon a bad thing?

It may not be a bad thing, OTOH, it may be a bit of naivete. Violent crime is overall is higher in the UK than in the US, but, like in the US, if you avoid certain areas, your risk drops quite a bit. Depending on where you live, you may much less likely to be vitimized but that risk never drops to zero. It is a matter of odds really. If you prefer to leave your life to the odds, that's really your choice.

As an aside, I think non-gun people really do not understand the mindset of pro-gun people. We do not feel fear, concern, worry, or any other sort of thing every day. I don't fear fire, but own a fire extinguisher. I don't walk around in fear of violence every day, but I own a firearm. It is not an act driven by fear, but a rational, thought out decision.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Places foil hat on head...

I know lets make killing people illegal, that will stop it. Or, lets make possessing a gun or knife illegal. If someone gets caught carrying a gun or a knife lets make it a felony. Lets call it felony possession, that sure has worked out well with drugs. I mean, you know, no drugs on the street for fear of the felony. Just put an end to that nonsense. It would work the same way with guns and knifes. Yup, the law will protect us.

Takes off foil hat...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

One thing about violent crime in the US. In the UK you say if you avoid certain areas you are relatively free of violent crime risk.

Same thing in the States. however, here is the exception. A lot of the same areas in the US (inner city slums etc) don't report their violent crime to the police or city. They tend to handle it internally. So the only violent crime that really gets reported is when a doctor calls the cops from the emergency room.

I've been sitting at dinner at a friends house who lives in one of the crappier areas of LA. Suddenly I hear gunshots from about a block away. Did any of us call the cops? Nope. We just kept eating dinner. Its so common that nobody in the neighborhood called the cops. I didn't hear one single siren or police car. No helicopter. Nothing.

SO it's possible that the US still leads the UK over violent crime even crime thats not gun related and it simply just does not get reported and counted.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Same thing happens in London, Paris and other major cities in the world. The police will not even go into some areas of these cities.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
reply to post by NavyDoc

One thing about violent crime in the US. In the UK you say if you avoid certain areas you are relatively free of violent crime risk.

Same thing in the States. however, here is the exception. A lot of the same areas in the US (inner city slums etc) don't report their violent crime to the police or city. They tend to handle it internally. So the only violent crime that really gets reported is when a doctor calls the cops from the emergency room.

I've been sitting at dinner at a friends house who lives in one of the crappier areas of LA. Suddenly I hear gunshots from about a block away. Did any of us call the cops? Nope. We just kept eating dinner. Its so common that nobody in the neighborhood called the cops. I didn't hear one single siren or police car. No helicopter. Nothing.

SO it's possible that the US still leads the UK over violent crime even crime thats not gun related and it simply just does not get reported and counted.

The trouble is, that this supposition can go both ways...that the violent crime rate may even be higher in the UK because all crimes do not get reported, especially criminal on criminal crime. One cannot make suppositions anywhere based on data that is not reported, so you have to go with the official stats and those hold that violent crime, in general, is higher in the UK. When I go to London, I've never seen a mugging nor have I seen a mugging in DC, but then again I usually stick to the museums.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Very well played, sir.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

www.gunfacts.info...

Read up on the myths you are promoting.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

What you say is totally possible.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Guns in America are not going any where. Why? Because we like our guns. I do. I enjoy the hell out of'em.
I like the challenge of getting that chunk of lead to hit a small target at 300 yards. I like shooting my pistols and getting a small pattern. I like clay shooting with a shotgun. I like the fact I could feed my family, if it comes down to it, by hunting. And I like the fact that if someone attacks my family, it'll be the last thing they do. You can hate them all you want, give all the statistics you want, they're here to stay.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
1.5inches is still big enough to hit a vital artery. What should be done is a law banning all ceramic and metal knives. Period. You should have to register for a knife license, with solid evidence to show that a ceramic/metal knife is mandatory in order to perform your chosen career.

Shops should remove all ceramic and metal knives, selling only plastic ones. Also we should do the same for forks as a pre-emptive measure to ensure they don't become a popular alternative killing device. Actually now I've analysed this a bit more, it seems you could sharpen the edge of a ceramic plate into a pretty deadly weapon so I think the only solution is we ban ALL ceramics and metal objects. Soft plastics only from now on. Where metal is required to make a product, there should be a quarterly mental health assessment on the owner and an rfid device placed into the product to ensure it can be tracked should it be used for ulterior purposes.

My alternative plan if that one gets shot down by congress is to ammend the current law re: murder convictions. If you are convicted of murder then you shall be shot into the sun from a cannon. Daily cannon shootings will be a pay-per-view event payable only in cash (no credit cards) to help the US reduce it's debt problem.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Perfect example of Gun Control. PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE NOT GUNS. Your not allowed to own a gun in China. So this guy kills someone with a knife. THE GUY KILLED someone, not the weapon. Nuff said. If your really intent on killing someone you will do it. You can kill someone with anything.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
To all of the people who think guns should be made illegal to own I ask you this, which you will surely refuse to answer. Try answering with a DIRECT answer WITHOUT answering my question with another question.

What would have happened if there were a licensed gun owner present?
Would he/she been able to stop this kid?

Your Answer: No, the gun owner would have killed more people and never hit his target.

If you and your loved ones were present would YOU have wanted a gun?

A. Yes, and now I am a hypocrite.
or
B. No, because I don't value my or my family's lives.

Would you have wanted someone there to have a gun?

A. Yes, and now I am a hypocrite.
or

If you or your loved one were one of the ones who were stabbed, would YOU have wished you had a gun or someone else did?

A. Yes, and now I am a hypocrite
or

Now then, I know how most of you people think and the logic/lack of it, that you use.
You will most certainly

A. Answer these questions with OTHER questions while never REALLY directly answering the questions even though they are VERY simple yes or no questions.

B. Claim that you would have kicked the kids ass and killed him with your bare hands 'cuz you're such a badass.

C. Flat out refuse to even respond to this post knowing that by doing so your ignorance will be exposed.

All I ask for are honest direct answers to honest direct questions and THIS seems to be absolutely impossible with this particular subject for some reason.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

well is your life worth living without freedom? can you honestly accept being oppressed so others can feel safe?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I really kind of pity people who are brainwashed or stubborn in believing guns are evil.

I keep hearing, "Guns are only meant to kill".

Okay, if that's true then why have I never used any of my guns to kill? I have probably fired hundreds of thousands of rounds in my lifetime, and this is a conservative estimate. I am by no means a "gun nut" in the slightest. I haven't even fired a gun in 5 years.

It is far safer to teach someone to properly fire, maintain and store a firearm than it is to give them a vehicle. Honestly, cars are more dangerous. I've never been afraid of a gun in my entire life, but I can't count how many times I've almost been killed or injured by a vehicle.

Cars don't hold a purpose. You may keep 1 car stored for emergencies, but you can not drive it regularly due to safety reasons. This is why we have public transportation, please use it. Otherwise you are selfish and ignorant for using something you don't even need. You increase the likelihood you can end someone's life by a factor of 1000% the second you step into a car.

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join