It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese teen kills 9 in knife attack. This is a Call to ban Knifes in America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

And if you don't allow citizens to have guns, those crazy people won't have access to them. Sure people may be better protected in very rare situations, but it's statistically obvious that guns increase homicide, those deaths outweigh the lives saved by a citizen owning a gun.

Then only the criminals and police would have guns with civilians at the mercy of both. The guy didn't have a gun and he still killed. As far as the spoon/gun argument the pic is funny but true. Hell if somebody wants to kill they'll find a way.

They could hop in a car and start mowing people down [It's happened before] They could kill a lot of people in a very short amount of time.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

You can do more with a gun than kill. Target shooting, clay shooting, those crazy wild west cowboy trick shooting championships.......
And my right to own a gun does trump a persons right to live should they threaten the safety or lives of my family or myself,
Quit blaming a inanimate object for a persons actions. Accept the fact that some people are just nuts and cowards and use a gun to kill people because its easier than any other weapon and they're lazy.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
Lame

Some things are usefull in the daily life of running society, like knife's, car's or whatever...
Gun's are usefull for absolutly nothing..

Exactly this. They are only made for killing, which is reflected in the USA's homicide statistics.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Let's just ban people's hands then too. That's really where the problem is. If they didn't have hands they couldn't hold the gun, knife, or other weapon. I guess they could try the zombie approach and bite them to death though...perhaps we should ban teeth as well...

Now seriously....Guns aren't practical, they're just easy. Banning any weapon is not going to stop crazy people from killing another person. Treating people with mental illness before they become violent is IMO the place that should be focused on to reduce violent crime....but what am I saying....our governments don't really care about our mental health, nor our health in general.
edit on 2-8-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Would you give up your car because someone else drove drunk? NO? Then why should gun owners have to give up thier guns because an idiot used one in a crime?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Remember that statement when the need arises(and I pray it doesnt) for you to have to use deadly force to defend your life or the life of someone close to you. There are thousands of home invasions, rapes, robberies, vicious attacks and so on every single day. Its just a crap shoot as to whether or not you're the next victim of some insane or desperate persons crime. You never know, you may be trying to enjoy a movie........

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

Let's just ban people's hands then too. That's really where the problem is. If they didn't have hands they couldn't hold the gun, knife, or other weapon. I guess they could try the zombie approach and bite them to death though...perhaps we should ban teeth as well...

Ban Hands

but i just bought mine.
edit on 8/2/2012 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Why do people not understand this simple concept? Guns enable people to kill. You can dig a hole with your hands, but it's a lot easier with a shovel. The phrase "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is used over and over again, it's meaningless, OF COURSE people kill people, because they have a gun at their disposal. Any other murder weapon is a lot harder to kill people with, they're more likely to get caught or killed.

England and the USA's non-gun related homicide rate per 100k people is very similar, however gun homicide in the USA is 24.75 times higher, that's a HUGE amount. More people are murdered with guns than saved by guns.

Stop using the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument, it's stupid. Make a real argument.
edit on 2-8-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

Well, the chance of that is going to happen where i live(not US) is very low, so i am not worried, thats like worrying about a plane crashing on my house so i need an gound to air missile battery on my roof

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Do you know why you cannot return scissors in the USA to a store after you bought them? Because it is a weapon that is very hard to trace. The FBI knows that. Sure they can tell ya what size....but what brand...where it was sold?
Too common of a weapon that makes a bigger hole than a regular knife does.

Not to give you any ideas....but it is painfully clear that you would prefer living in a society with everything made of plastic rounded edges so no one ever gets hurt.

Whats it gonna take for you to humor the other side of the fence for a while. Granted a gun makes a nice weapon...and yes if you get shot you might die. But a knife will actually do far more damage than a bullet in the right hands. And I know people that can throw them with pin point accuracy from across the room quite a distance.

So what should we ban next? Sporks? Salad tongs? Pencils? Training wheels on motorcycles? Cars that can only go 30 mph for safety's sake?

Where should we draw the line?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Any other murder weapon is a lot harder to kill people with, they're more likely to get caught or killed.

I think you might want to do a little research on that comment. Using a gun is a sure fire way to leave a trail. Carrying around a gun can be easily noticed compared to many other weapons.

As for the guns don't kill people, people kill people arguement, I'll say that guns DO kill people, but they do not only kill innocent people. They protect a young woman from being raped in her home, they provide much needed food for a hungry person, they provide entertainment for gun lovers, they bring money to gun businesses, they protect other businesses, they protect our countries, and many, many other uses.

One negative aspect does not outweigh the benifits of gun ownership.
edit on 2-8-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Really? Wow, you are are truly blind to whats going on around you. I have an Uncle who was exactly the same way you are. " I dont need a gun. I live in a nice neighborhood and this is America" Sadly, 2 thugs also noticed he lived in a nice neighborhood. They kicked in his front door and beat both him and my Aunt nearly to death with baseball bats in order to steal their money and property. He changed his stance on guns there after.
If you think you're special and wont be someones victim, good luck with that train of thought. That being said, they used BATS. Not guns, not knives. Once again, its not the object, its the person. And we should outlaw bats too because they are only good for hitting things.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Any other murder weapon is a lot harder to kill people with, they're more likely to get caught or killed.

All the unsolved murders in my area are stabbings, stranglings and blunt force killings.

Can you cite evidence to your claim or are you just going on what you "feel" reality is?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

People, guns, knives, all as bad as each other.
Its simple just stop it being so easy to obtain dangerous weapons such as guns or knives.
Now OBVIOUSLY its not going to stop things like this happening, but it will at least help.
Guns are 10x more dangerous than knives, not saying knives aren't bad, you just can't compare them to a weapon built to kill from a great distance with ease.

It seems you made this post to support gun laws? Just imagine if he had a gun and not a knife.
Think you should think about that.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Why do people not understand this simple concept? Guns enable people to kill. You can dig a hole with your hands, but it's a lot easier with a shovel. The phrase "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is used over and over again, it's meaningless, OF COURSE people kill people, because they have a gun at their disposal. Any other murder weapon is a lot harder to kill people with, they're more likely to get caught or killed.

England and the USA's non-gun related homicide rate per 100k people is very similar, however gun homicide in the USA is 24.75 times higher, that's a HUGE amount. More people are murdered with guns than saved by guns.

Stop using the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument, it's stupid. Make a real argument.

Ok a real argument, lets say that it is not the tool that kills but the motivation to. Hows that? Any person has the ability to kill regardless of if there's a gun or not. The motivation has to be there first. And your argument that if people didn't have a gun available they would likely not kill because of fear of their own life or getting caught because it'd be too hard....is bogus. All a person needs is the right motivation to kill someone and hard to do or not, they'll make it happen.

When that decision is made they don't care at that point if they get caught. Most serial killers didn't use a gun, they used their hands. And more often than not their prey was much bigger than themselves.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
If you guys like guns that is fine, please don't use these pathetic attempts like comparing, cars to guns, or knife to guns. It looks like you guys are trying hard to defend it.

i can't cook with guns.

i can't drive to work on a gun.

Almost anything can be used as a weapon, even peanuts, but some are made to kill and nothing else.

Most people know gun is used for protection but it is not controlled, the rules needs to more strict. Nobody is taking gun away fr, what people want is harder rules so to getting one is hard.

If you LOVE GUN for PROTECTION than you would AGREE with STRICTER RULES.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere

Do you know why you cannot return scissors in the USA to a store after you bought them? Because it is a weapon that is very hard to trace. The FBI knows that. Sure they can tell ya what size....but what brand...where it was sold?
Too common of a weapon that makes a bigger hole than a regular knife does.

Not to give you any ideas....but it is painfully clear that you would prefer living in a society with everything made of plastic rounded edges so no one ever gets hurt.

Whats it gonna take for you to humor the other side of the fence for a while. Granted a gun makes a nice weapon...and yes if you get shot you might die. But a knife will actually do far more damage than a bullet in the right hands. And I know people that can throw them with pin point accuracy from across the room quite a distance.

So what should we ban next? Sporks? Salad tongs? Pencils? Training wheels on motorcycles? Cars that can only go 30 mph for safety's sake?

Where should we draw the line?

Again, there's nothing of value in your post. What's the scissor thing got to do with anything? I would not like to live in a place like you describe, but I'm glad I live in a place where homicide is much lower.

"So what should we ban next? Sporks? Salad tongs? Pencils? Training wheels on motorcycles? Cars that can only go 30 mph for safety's sake?"

Let's reverse this. Why stop at not banning guns? Let's let people possess explosives, maybe remove speed limits, why have safety guidelines at all? All of the things you listed have practical uses and generally aren't used as murder weapons. Yes a line has to be drawn somewhere, but let's start with something that obviously increases murder rates and go from there. Can we stop using stupid arguments now? I'm the only one that provided any facts or statistics, all I've got in return is sarcasm and ridiculous suggestions.

link   

Exactly this. They are only made for killing, which is reflected in the USA's homicide statistics.

The sad part about arguments such as this is that they clearly leave out how many of those were in self defense.
My right to live trumps their right to murder me or rape a family member etc etc etc.

link   
reply to post by isyeye

Dang it! You beat me! I was about to post this same picture. hahaha

Great minds....

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere

Ok a real argument, lets say that it is not the tool that kills but the motivation to. Hows that? Any person has the ability to kill regardless of if there's a gun or not. The motivation has to be there first. And your argument that if people didn't have a gun available they would likely not kill because of fear of their own life or getting caught because it'd be too hard....is bogus. All a person needs is the right motivation to kill someone and hard to do or not, they'll make it happen.

When that decision is made they don't care at that point if they get caught. Most serial killers didn't use a gun, they used their hands. And more often than not their prey was much bigger than themselves.

You're still ignoring my point. Nothing is bogus, look at the numbers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join