It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese teen kills 9 in knife attack. This is a Call to ban Knifes in America

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by Kastogere
reply to post by SpearMint

OK, how many people live in Brittian? Russia? The USA? Notice the difference? Again your stats are lopsided and likely do not reflect absolute numbers. Your picking what suits you to justify your argument...so either your mistaken and haven't accounted for the slide rule of a grain of salt.

Or your just pushing a troll like agenda to suit your twisted need to be right...

Coincidentally......what would you do if someone was holding you down and tickling yer fanny?

It's per 100k people, you can't be fairer than that. Total population is irrelevant.

I'm seeing a lot of disregarding the homicide rate statistics but no facts or figures from your side.
edit on 2-8-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

This right here is like that stupid "study" of "gun deaths" that do not separate self defense and criminal acts thereby inflating numbers that would otherwise have context.

In the US only 8 percent of all violent crimes are committed with firearms.

* Roughly 16,272 murders were committed in the United States during 2008. Of these, about 10,886 or 67% were committed with firearms.[11]

A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone "almost certainly would have been killed" if they "had not used a gun for protection." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 162,000 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[12]

* Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.[16]

* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun "for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[19]

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

If guns could also cut a pork-chop, I imagine the number of guns used in homicides would be even more staggering?

Despite knives being a kitchen utensil easily accessable in 99% of homes...guns are still used 5 times more often to kill people than a weapon that is available in multitude in every home?

67% of the murders in the US are committed with guns vs. 13% which were commited with knives.

www2.fbi.gov...

I understand the premise that if someone is unhinged and plans to kill, they have a chance of finding a way, gun or no gun.

James Holmes was carrying an AR-15 Automatic Rifle, a Glock .40 Caliber Pistol and a remington 870 Shotgun with pistol grip.

Does anyone think he would have managed to injure 59 people and kill 12 unimpeded with a kitchen knife? In less than 5 minutes?

But I have no illusions as to the effectiveness of common logic or statistics on those who do not think beyond NRA slogans.

I own guns...I also DO NOT support the NRA or their agenda. They are lobbyists of the worst sort.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

* Roughly 16,272 murders were committed in the United States during 2008. Of these, about 10,886 or 67% were committed with firearms.[11]

A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone "almost certainly would have been killed" if they "had not used a gun for protection."

"Murder" and "Homocide" or "Justifiable Homicide" have different definitions.

The "Murder" by Guns stat already excludes self-defense as that doesn't constitute "Murder"..

You then follow up that conflated bit with some wonky math...
edit on 3-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Yes but you have to pass a government test to drive a car, and allow the government to know the intimate details of your vehicle registration to be legally allowed to drive it.

The last I checked, driving is still a privilege, while owning a gun is a Constitutional right. I do agree with practical testing before owning a firearm. Everyone should take classes for shooting their weapon and safety.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Before we do this, we must first discover what type of knife was used. Did it have a black handle? Was the blade shiny or blackened? Finally we must ignore it's functionality and ask ourselves "Was it scary looking?" Then and only then can we begin the campaign to ban all "scary looking" knives, for public safety, of course.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by arcnaver

Before we do this, we must first discover what type of knife was used. Did it have a black handle? Was the blade shiny or blackened? Finally we must ignore it's functionality and ask ourselves "Was it scary looking?" Then and only then can we begin the campaign to ban all "scary looking" knives, for public safety, of course.
Many states already ban the sales of 'scary looking' knives.

California is one that comes to mind. Look at an online knife store, such as Smoky Mountain Knife Works, you will see which states ban certain knives, many because of how they look.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Someone who wants to kill people is going to get their hands on a gun whether it's legal or not. When guns are outlawed, the law abiding citizen will have no defense against these illegal gun owners. Guns are a tool just like a hammer. If used properly they are completely safe, but put a gun or a hammer in the wrong hands and they both become deadly weapons. Are we gonna ban hammers or any other tool? Guns might make it easier to kill people but I think it would be easier still to just run through a crowd with your car.....

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

No I said 8% of violent crimes. Not just murders.

* Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.[16]

Me thinks you didn't read the whole post in it's entirety.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Man, if only one other person had a knife everyone would've been saved!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Man, if only Chuck Norris had been there.....

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

If you can't Chuck it F it!

I can stand behind that...Because standing in front of it is just too dangerous.

Chuck Norris once peed in the gas tank of Semi.

That Semi is now known as Optimus Prime.

I ain't messin' with that.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
Lame

Some things are usefull in the daily life of running society, like knife's, car's or whatever...
Gun's are usefull for absolutly nothing, when it get's to running society...

edit on 2-8-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

I strongly disagree ("Gun's are useful for absolutely nothing, when it get's to running society.")

(infact I believe I'm about worn out on this subject).

People simply won't acknowledge the possibility starring them in the face( I.e."It can't happen here").
So lets look back at fairly recent history.:

Please Tell us what difference the mere presence would have made if every German Jewish household kept one mauser bolt action (military) rifle and 4 or5 boxes of cartridges in 1939?

I submit: the Nazis would have had to think twice about inviting them to "relocate".

Important: Whether they had the will to use them(arms) or not is secondary to the mere presence of this"force".
Their oppressors would have to take it into account in their planning.Tieing up more stormtroopers

if every stairwell was guarded by a few rifles and the Nazi's weren't positive about making it home for schnitzel.
Fairly soon they would run short of willing henchmen.
Yes Resisting Jews would still be overwhelmed and killed. but Perhaps the holocaust could've been avoided?
edit on 3-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Same with criminals. We don't get those around here, the city boys know we all are armed to the teeth. Gun ranges in back yards kinda give it away

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It’s not the guns!

It’s not the knives!

It’s not the spoons, forks, pencils, box cutter, 2nt century shadow of darkness ninja assassin throwing star.

IT IS THE PERSON USING THE ITEM TO HURT, MAIM, AND/OR KILL ANOTHER PERSON(S).

Because of political correctness, we are required to accept psychologically sick people to run amok in the world because addressing someone’s issues might hurt their feelings. America is the worst! Many parents don’t take the time to bring up their children because they’re too busy making money to keep up with the Jones's. There are many parents who think there kids can do no wrong. They think if they can throw “stuff” at them to keep them busy, everything will be ok.

Many people don’t have any morals these days. Especially children. Why is that? Not to throw God into the mix, but when I was younger I was taught that I would have to answer to someone for my wrong doings. I know everyone is different, but I believe that if I pick up a gun, put it to someone’s head, and pull the trigger, I’m going to have to answer to my higher power for it. Morals don’t seem to exist in this day and age, and if you do go out and kill someone, chances are that you will end up in a prison with three meals a day, a weight lifting program, books, videos, schooling, dental, etc. etc. etc. They should NOT make it easy in prison. You want to be in a gang? Not a problem. We’ll throw you on the side of the road in a “chain gang!” I have two words…HARD LABOR! You want to kill, rape, break the law, etc…Well; you’re going to have to pay the price for your actions! Some may not agree with me, but IMO, I think the tent cities in AZ should be implemented EVERYWHERE in America! It’s a sad state of affairs when you can go into a prison, and come out all buffed and ready to start work with that degree in whatever field of work they were able to offer you.

The fact of the matter is that you can kill someone with just about ANYTHING! If you are hell bent on killing someone, you will find a way.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
1 - Knives would be damn near impossible to get rid of--in any country, but especially America. It's a tool, a collector's item, and a weapon, and everyone needs one for something sooner or later. Better ban the chefs from cutting up their veggies... they'd need a big dangerous knife to do that. Can't have that, now...

2 - In the most free and gun-happy country in the world, you expect knives to get banned?
I'd like to see em try. Gun sales have gone up 50% since the Batman incident in Colorado... if anyone tries to take our knives and swords, we'll have the option to choose weather we want to cut em, or shoot em.

3 - I'm sure that, if this story is a lie or cover up, it has bad intentions in China, and they want to restrict the Chinese laws even more (if you can imagine that), like they often do here in America, and everywhere else. The more chaos that mysteriously happens, the more "reason" they have to pass stupid, restricting laws. But, a story like this affecting the whole of America deeply? Nope.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by projectvxn

A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone "almost certainly would have been killed" if they "had not used a gun for protection."

"Murder" and "Homocide" or "Justifiable Homicide" have different definitions.

The "Murder" by Guns stat already excludes self-defense as that doesn't constitute "Murder"..

You then follow up that conflated bit with some wonky math...
edit on 3-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

Very True.
Every single human "shooting death" is a "homicide". (or of course a"suicide")
whether it is justifiable" or "murder" is decided afterward in a courtroom.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Ban knives? Please. Anyone is capable of killing with just about any object... Alright you smashed 5 peoples heads in with a lamp? No more light for you.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The entire argument for banning guns is ludicrous.

First and foremost is the problem of getting them off the streets in a country where many millions of guns are already out there. What are you going to do? Door to door confiscation? Good luck with that...

And how about the black market? You know...the seedy underground supplying all the "bad" stuff that's ALWAYS been around no matter how much the "man" tries to clamp down on something - in fact, history makes a very strong case that it actually gets stronger the tighter the rules become...Chicago circa 1920's for example

Then there's the whole thing about statistics - the facts are that violent crimes go up after guns are banned - just look at Australia, Great Britain, Chicago or DC

Here's a nice study from the University of Maryland showing exactly that
Univ of Maryland Study

Guns are here to stay - if you doubt that then just youtube "zip guns" to realize how easy it is to make one - they are NEVER all going to be eradicated

The only sane option is to arm your law abiding citizen with the same hardware available to criminals & hope that some of the crime is deterred simply by the presence of a firearm

Here's a blurb about a study from the Criminology and Criminal Justice at Florida State University that supports the opinion that firearms do more good than bad in the hands of the general public

CCJ at Florida State study

Banning guns is a delusional "rosy glasses" view that incorrectly assumes things will be better if the citizens that actually follow the law aren't allowed to have guns any longer

Fact is most pro-ban people haven't thought the whole thing through and are following their feelings...the most common of which is FEAR
edit on 3-8-2012 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
This is a call to ban all knifes in america. Even though this happened in China, we all know it’s only a matter of time before there is a mass murdering of innocent people via knife attack here in America.

I see what you did there and I will raise your Derpmerican herp-a-derp waltz with...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by coldkidc
The entire argument for banning guns is ludicrous.

Indeed. After all, nuclear weapons don't kill people; the people who launch them do.

Ergo, we should all be armed with tactical nukes so that we may be 'safe' from the crazies who already have such weapons.

pic related:

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join