It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox Chat Leads To Violent Attack In Oakley

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Xbox Chat Leads To Violent Attack In Oakley

sacramento.cbslocal.com

An online fight led to an in-person attack for a young man in Oakley, and he ended up with nearly two dozen stab wounds.

This stabbing all started with a conversation on an Xbox Live headset that allegedly set a 17-year-old off, not with a joystick, but with a real knife and gun.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Lets ban XBOX as it is causing a lot of violence and behavioural issues amongst teenagers
(sarcasm).

Do you think only Guns kill people? When will the politicians learn that it is not guns but the social/economic/mental issues are the leading causes of crimes in the society. There is a big vacuum of good cultural and moral upbringing amongst many families across the country. When will the government focus on the youth?

Your comments/thoughts/opinions/viewpoints please.

sacramento.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Well the article states it had nothing to do with xbox or a game, it was a fued that had been already ongoing, and they were chatting and it escalated.

They could have been on the phone, they could have been talking in person....

But yeah, I'm waiting for the ban on headsets myself lol they are a danger to us all!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
That 17 yr old must have a bad upbringing. If he was raised properly, he wouldn't of been in that situation in the first place.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The people on XBL are ridiculous.. A kid who didn't sound any older then 13, Called me every name in the book last night.. Just because I beat him in a team death match in "max payne 3"

It's such a major difference from the PS3 network.. I almost never deal with that kind of stuff on there..

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I agree with the OP that we need to ban Xbox, TV, Internet, movies, knives, spoons, forks, water hoses, pretty much anything with a density greater than air. Since you can strangle people with your hands we should all have our hands removed at birth. All of the things listed above only exist to cause harm and destroy humanity...

You know now that I think of it...We should just ban all human beings. They serve no purpose other than death and destruction.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by hp1229

They could have been on the phone, they could have been talking in person....
But yeah, I'm waiting for the ban on headsets myself lol they are a danger to us all!
True. I'm just trying to drive the point that how many things in our lives can be blamed on the violence amongst teens or society in general.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
The people on XBL are ridiculous.. A kid who didn't sound any older then 13, Called me every name in the book last night.. Just because I beat him in a team death match in "max payne 3"
There you go. There is no social/family/moral pressure on the XBL as everyone is behind their keyboards/joysticks/controls. Eventually it becomes the norm and culture amongst many in that particular age group.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doom and Gloom
I agree with the OP that we need to ban Xbox, TV, Internet, movies, knives, spoons, forks, water hoses, pretty much anything with a density greater than air. Since you can strangle people with your hands we should all have our hands removed at birth. All of the things listed above only exist to cause harm and destroy humanity...

You know now that I think of it...We should just ban all human beings. They serve no purpose other than death and destruction.

So if I read this correctly, what your saying is... A world with just sporks. Finally a movement I can get behind.
edit on 2-8-2012 by BlastedCaddy because: PSSM

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

We have to do what we can to promote the safety and well being of everyone. Sporks for all!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
whats sad is there is literally a Boondocks episode from their first season that is about this exact situation. In the episode the police are looking for a murderer on the loose who killed some other guy over a MAdden 2006 loss. Talked smack and then got stabbed later for it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Jeez.... Who wrote this article? Sherrif John Bunnell?

OAKLEY (CBS13) – An online fight led to an in-person attack for a young man in Oakley, and he ended up with nearly two dozen stab wounds..... But this was no virtual violence. Their Xbox banter turned bitter...... An escalating Xbox exchange with no reset button for this real-life run-in. Now it could be game over for the teen who went on the attack....

www.robotvsbadger.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre

It's such a major difference from the PS3 network.. I almost never deal with that kind of stuff on there..

Agreed. On PSN, I'll get people saying all kinds of crap but rarely anything racist or just straight-up XBOXish. Most people on PSN (Max Payne 3 we're talking about now) will curse my name when I'm winning but I'll often get a private message afterwards saying something like "Dude, that was awesome".

It's a whole different environment.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
These game cause violent tendencies in people here are some examples

People have not personal accountability with the internet. Maybe the guy that was stabbed sent too many trash talking messages to someone and they decided to see if he could back up his trash talk.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2012 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The argument that is described in the article happens everyday on the xbox live community. I have recived many angry messages from 13 year old kids saying that the only reason I won was either because I am gay, hacking, have no life, they're too busy plowing my mother and sometimes all of the above.

On a more serious note, anybody that decides murdering another human being is a good idea is mentally unstable. Banning live chat or social media of any kind will not fix this.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

It wasn't like that when I had Xbox live back in 2003-2005. One service I did like was XBC.

I would play Rainbow Six 3 & Black Arrow, along with other games with some great guys from all over for hours.
We worked together as a team, we laughed and no one ever said anything bad to anyone or made fun of how someone sounded. Great times!
Another service I liked is Xlink Kai. Those two are good alternatives to Xbox Live. You can play system link games against other people that have no xbox live option.

Having fun is what videogames are all about and though I never knew those guys personally, they were a fun bunch and I'll never forget those many fun nights. Ah nostalgia.

edit on 2-8-2012 by soaringhawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I remember when I played sports as a little kid and we all had to give the other team high fives and congratulate the winning team. Now people stab others and swear at them when they lose at a video game.
I play Xbox, and I have Xbox LIVE, but I don't use a mic. I don't like sore losers.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MorganAlice

I know right. It's just a game. It reminds me of when people get angry that their favorite sports team loses and some have the nerve to riot and resort to violence. That's not what it's to be about. The moment it's not about fun it should be given up.

new topics

top topics

join