It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia lumberyard owner hammers Obama on 'You didn't build that'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Hopefully this will get some attention and possibly spread a positive message amongst the small business owners across the country.

"I built this business without gov't help. Obama can Kiss my ass," reads the sign outside Gaster Lumber & Hardware in Savannah, Ga. Owner Ray Gaster posted that and two similar ones at all three of his company's locations in response to Obama's comments during a speech to supporters in Virignia, which struck a nerve with small business owners around the nation.

LINK
Thoughts/Comments/Opinions/Viewpoints please.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Living in Ga...I approve....

Des

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Let me start by saying, I am undecided and may just write in Clifford the Big Red Dog at this point...

The quote that Mitt is using in his ad has been taken completely out of context. Obama is saying that the roads, bridges ect that allow for the person to get your business were not built by you. That it takes others to do this work. Therefore "you did not build that" is saying that you did not go out and build the road, you did not build the building that your business is in (you may have paid to have it built but you did not physically build it).

Both sides are guilty of misquoting and taking quotes out of context, but this one just needs to die as it has been shown time and again how badly this one was done.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
You mean this Ray Gaster?? Who petitioned the President for the Homestar Program, offering tax breaks and rebates to homes that improved thier energy efficiency????..Thus driving business to his Home Improvement store? OR the same Ray Gaster that petitioned for improved infrastructure in Savanah to benefit busineeses when he chaired the local chamber of commerce???

“Half of us in that room will be gone within a year if they don’t create jobs and get customers coming in our doors soon,” said Gaster.

“Yesterday, the Mayor had a supposedly ‘Whitehouse Small Biz Forum’ to get ideas from small/independent businesses on what was needed,” said Gaster. “Unfortunately, the final short item draft was determined by the bureaucrats and amounted to basically "Mo Money" for large projects like deepening Savannah harbor and high speed rail to Atlanta. Like that is going to have an immediate impact on what mainstreet is going through these days.

“I doubt if the message is getting through. But we all have to keep after them, or replace them with new people,” said Gaster, who said he was looking forward to more information on the Homestar program the President spoke about today at Savannah Technical College.

www.savannahbusinessjournal.com...
By "they" he meant government...creating jobs...
By Homestar...he meant tax breaks and rebates for customers that would shop at his business.

What an idiot..

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by froglegs79

I don't think Obama was misquoted. His speech team actually stole it from Elizabeth Warren from a speech she made previously to Obama's speech. Both videos posted below in link It's turned into a cluster **** for Obama because his team didn't put on their thinking caps to vet out Elizabeth Warren, and where she got it....they just did a *steal that line* for Obama.

Do you actually think Obama writes his own speeches.....

Obama and Warren cribbed “build it” narrative from progressive Berkeley Professor

By now you have heard the Obama and Liz Warren speeches about how no one got rich on his or her own. Listen to them again, it’s important to hear how they frame the issue almost identically

This narrative is cribbed almost verbatim from the narrative of George Lakoff, a progressive linguistics activist and Professor at Berkeley. Like Warren, Lakoff was one of the academics who helped frame how the Occupy Wall Street movement presented itself. Lakoff’s writings and theories seek to transform progressive politics and he is a frequent speaker on how progressives can reframe the political debate.
legalinsurrection.com...

Des

edit on 2-8-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by froglegs79
Therefore "you did not build that" is saying that you did not go out and build the road, you did not build the building that your business is in (you may have paid to have it built but you did not physically build it).

What about the guys who built road building businesses?
What about the guys who had businesses clearing, surveying, and planning the roads?
Or the guys building building building businesses? (ha! what a cool sentence)

Everybody builds on what has been built before them.
That in no way lessens their accomplishment, and full credit should be given.
Even in context, Obama was wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by froglegs79

What came first? People or the Government? Who formed the Government? Who fought the Brits and laid the foundation of our constitution? Just ask the basic questions. People made the Government. Ofcourse the POTUS is wrong as they're all caught up in the political frenzy all due thanks to November 2012. However the left wing is definitely scrambling and unprepared with many of their speeches thats for sure. This happens when one is too pre-occupied with worries.
edit on 2-8-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Oh boy! More people taking exception with an out-of-context quote!

This does not reflect well on their intelligence.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Oh boy! More people taking exception with an out-of-context quote!This does not reflect well on their intelligence.
Really? How much does the speech writer make per year to do his/her job?
They should have ensured tha such 'out-of-context' quote is not slipped into the speech (if indeed the POTUS was using the speech on his own).

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Oh boy! More people taking exception with an out-of-context quote!This does not reflect well on their intelligence.
Really? How much does the speech writer make per year to do his/her job?
They should have ensured tha such 'out-of-context' quote is not slipped into the speech (if indeed the POTUS was using the speech on his own).

That. Doesn't. Even. Make. Sense.

'out of context' means someone took something from a larger body of work, removed it from it's context and presented it as if it means something other than it actually meant.

And you are blaming Obama (or his speech writer) for it?

Seriously?

edit on 2-8-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I am a veteran and business owner, first of all President Obama never used the government or said the government helped you build your successful business, he just never said it lets be honest with ourselves here, just go back and look at the video of the speech, he said someone, he even mentioned a teacher somewhere along the way, I would go so far as he was saying that someone has imparted that idea or was a part of it like your parents or some other inspiration, I think he could have found a better way to say what he was attempting to convey, I think the essence of it is at some point when you start a business there is a first account there is a first customer or someone that believes in you, your idea and your product enough to come back and then tell others, that is your income and growth, your customers or people that use your services, those people that do not like the president are always looking for an excuse to twist what was actually said or take him out of context plain and simple and put up such a disrespectful and offensive sign towards the POTUS is pathetic especially if he didn't even say that.

There's a lot of people that probably had some help others couldn't get building their business and others with similar ideas that could not get funds or start up monies outside of private funding or savings, I bet also, I am sure there are those that did come up with their ideas on their own with no influences from anyone and live in a vacuum and create all of their wealth on their own, I applaud that, I am sure that there are people that have businesses that do not rely upon consumers to buy into or purchase their services I also applaud that but a great majority of businesses especially government sector that I know of are dependent upon government contract money and government contracts and by proxy your tax dollars and I bet they could trace their income back to that origin...and there are private sector companies I bet that can trace accounts and sources of income back to government sources and are really at some level a government vendor..

Just my thoughts on this entire blowing out of context of the presidents comments, by some that hear what they want to hear and turn it into something entirely different.
edit on 2-8-2012 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Hopefully this will get some attention and possibly spread a positive message amongst the small business owners across the country.

"I built this business without gov't help. Obama can Kiss my ass," reads the sign outside Gaster Lumber & Hardware in Savannah, Ga. Owner Ray Gaster posted that and two similar ones at all three of his company's locations in response to Obama's comments during a speech to supporters in Virignia, which struck a nerve with small business owners around the nation.

LINK

If you're going to criticize someone, at least have the dignity to accurately represent what it is you're criticizing. Threads like this continue a complete misrepresentation of what actually happened. First of all, Obama simply meant that no business was created in a vacuum - they had the unsung benefit of paved streets built by others, a technological infrastructure built by others including the cars/trucks used to transport goods and an electrical grid built by others. Cops patrol the neighborhood and keep it safe (sometimes). All utilities. And the list goes on.

You get the point. I hope. Now, the CONTEXT is what's important. Obama was using this speech to promote a tax spike, or bigger government in general. That's the controversial part and anyone who's been paying attention knows it's bad news.

Cheers
edit on 2-8-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will

LINK

If you're going to criticize someone, at least have the dignity to accurately represent what it is you're criticizing. Threads like this continue a complete misrepresentation of what actually happened. First of all, Obama simply meant that no business was created in a vacuum - they had the unsung benefit of paved streets built by others, a technological infrastructure built by others including the cars/trucks used to transport goods and an electrical grid built by others. Cops patrol the neighborhood and keep it safe (sometimes).

You get the point. I hope. Now, the CONTEXT is what's important. Obama was using this speech to promote a tax spike, or bigger government in general. That's the controversial part and anyone who's been paying attention knows it's bad news.

Cheers

I was going to type up a long response about why "I built this business without gov't help." is complete BS. But you beat me to the punch, and I don't think I could have phrased it better.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It's nonsense fluff 'issues' like this that really highlight what is so silly about the GOP, and their mindless followers. Do they criticize Obama for drone strikes, or for continuing and expanding Bush-era "War on terror'? Or for signing patriot act 2? No, instead they harp on him for a sentence taken WILDLY out of context. Almost like they are TRYING to avoid making any criticisms of him with actual SUBSTANCE.

Might as well complain about how he ties his shoes, GOP.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

Everybody builds on what has been built before them.

This is precisely what Obama meant. There is no debate here. I despise the man, please stop misconstruing statements, because in my defense of common sense you're making me defend him too.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Some people hear what is said as an echo of what is in their own mind or what they want to hear.

As usual, government gives me something good, asks me to give to them, bad.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Oh boy! More people taking exception with an out-of-context quote!This does not reflect well on their intelligence. Really? How much does the speech writer make per year to do his/her job?

That. Doesn't. Even. Make. Sense.
Neither did the speech.

And you are blaming Obama (or his speech writer) for it?
Both.

edit on 2-8-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
they had the unsung benefit of paved streets built by others, a technological infrastructure built by others including the cars/trucks used to transport goods and an electrical grid built by others. Cops patrol the neighborhood and keep it safe (sometimes). All utilities. And the list goes on.
The government owe their formation to the unsung benefit to the founding fathers for fighting the Brits too if we have to back paddle and go back in time.

edit on 2-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Might as well complain about how he ties his shoes, GOP.

If Pres. Obama woke up tomorrow and walked on water....

..the right wing headlines would read "Obama can't swim!!"

We need a return to intelligent and honest debate in this country or we will never get the government that the greatest nation on earth warrants and deserves.

Of all the idealogical differences, views and policy positions that constitute the party divide...it is the prideful embrace of ignorance and dishonesty that consistantly accompanies conservative rhetoric that offends me the most.

Alas...where are the real conservatives? ...being exiled from the party by idealogical carnival barkers...what has become of the party of Lincoln??

Conservattive idealogy is useful, even neccessary in our national discourse. What has become of the GOP should offend anyone that is genuinely conservative...and I will say this...If conservatives don't start policing their own, the voters will do it for them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join