It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Test flight over Peru could revolutionize archaeological mapping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Archaeological sites that currently take years to map will be completed in minutes if tests underway in Peru of a new system being developed at Vanderbilt University go well

They call it SUAVe or Semi-autonomous Unmanned Aerial Vehicle

“It can take two or three years to map one site in two dimensions,” Wernke said. “The SUAVe (pronounced SWAH-vey) system should transform how we map large sites that take several seasons to document using traditional methods. It will provide much higher resolution imagery than even the best satellite imagery, and it will produce a detailed three-dimensional model.”

Tests are scheduled from mid-July to mid-August at the abandoned colonial era town of Mawchu Llacta in Peru
news.vanderbilt.edu...
I look forward to the results from this

Cran

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Very cool.
I'm just sad they don't mention what kind of mapping suite their using in regard to equipment.

Laser rangefinding?
IR/UV?
Radar?
Traditional visual video?

Combinations of these for a complete image package?

I wish also they'd have shown some projected result 'demonstration' proof of concept maps.

Exciting none the less. Can't wait to see what this results in, and how it may impact already known sites.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
LIDAR. LASER mapping-almost immediate results with computer

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
That`ll let people get to those previously un-explored ruins that are still out there in the jungles and rain forest of S. America. Of course you will still need boots on the ground to do any real exploring but the little UAV will make a huge difference.

Cant wait to see if they find anything big.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
LIDAR. LASER mapping-almost immediate results with computer

I didn't notice that anywhere in the article. Where did you find that information?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Where did you find that information

From the link

It will provide much higher resolution imagery than even the best satellite imagery, and it will produce a detailed three-dimensional model.”

I have looked and can-not find anymore info on this

Cran

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Sorry for the confusion cranspace, I was asking mysterioustranger where they got the information that the imaging was LIDAR based. I don't see that being mentioned in the article or at sites linked to in the article.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Just this week I believe in Science Digest (?). It spoke of Archeo-deicoveries being exposed quickly for the air by use of laser-radar (LIDAR). It removes the vegetation and ground above sites temples etc. Ill locate that article for you. It has photos as well. Check back here in a bit...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Here you go: It was National Geographic

news.nationalgeographic.c... om/news/2010/05/photogalleries/100520-ancient-maya-city-belize-science-pictures/
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Link isn't working.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Fixed
news.nationalgeographic.com...
Good stuff

Cran

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Thanks.
I still don't see a connection between the project mentioned in the OP and LIDAR mentioned there. The reason I'm being picky is that using LIDAR on a craft that small to do mapping of a a large area in minutes is quite a feat. Also, the company that makes the drone mentions nothing of a LIDAR based imaging payload option, yet mysterioustranger states as fact that LIDAR is used for this project. I will be pleasantly surprised if in fact this has been accomplished. I am honestly doubtful.

top topics

join