It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is What Snake Venom Does to Blood

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Id say it rates pretty darn high..thanks for the link
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Anytime

Looks like it ranks in the top half.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Living in Arizona, I have seen my share of rattlers. Snakes won't bother you if you don't bother them.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Very true, however, they sometimes conceal themselves and human contact can happen on accident with deadly results.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I tried to catch a coral snake one time and got nabbed 3 times in the blink of an eye. Luckily he did not penetrate and was only trying to get rid of me not do me harm. Snakes are gorgeous animals. I used to hike the mountain trails under a full moon and got to see many nice snakes shining in the moonlight.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Snake venom typically falls under three categories: Hemotoxic, Neurotoxic, and Cytotoxic. The Russell's viper venom in the video seems to be hemotoxic.

Hemotoxic: breaks down blood cells and causes extreme coagulation of their victims blood. The venom typically acts to lower blood pressure and encourage blood clotting.

Neurotoxic: works to disrupt the function of the brain and nervous system. They block the messages the nerves are trying to send to the muscles, generally leading to prey suffocation.

Cytotoxic: designed to cause tissue death, which is why some people have to receive amputations after being bitten.

Source: Wikipedia and other miscellaneous internet sources.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysis

Interesting. Good stuff there and thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vrill
I also think that we as a human race, are hardwired/hardcoded to fear Snakes due to some happenings in our ancient past.

We are. Danger is hard coded into our instinctive memory. We have to learn as babies about a lot of things, such as fire and so on, which came later, but the things that we fear most are natural predatory animals. Loud creatures, hissing, they bring about a fear response to people who are unaccustomed to them.

Our brains do a pretty good job of keeping us alive.

But they also make us fear things we make stories for in our own imaginations.

We should fear snakes. They are still a threat. Especially in Aus, I remember as a kid playing with what I thought was a harmless little snake.... turned out it was a bloody dugite..

I was scared of it until I saw how timid it was. Should have relied on my initial instincts...

wow just found this -- edit

Dugites are protected under the Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 and to kill or injure one attracts a fine of up to A$4000.

Where we lived, the guys there killed this snake. insane.. oO

edit on 2-8-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by nobody you know
Wow!! I had no idea blood could coagulate so fast! That was pretty dang scary looking.

This is why we aren't all bleeders. Just prick your finger on a needle, and notice how fast it stops bleeding.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Specifically a small amount of blood in a glass container.

To get blood injected into your bloodstream, a snake would have to hit you at a very precise spot on your body (vein), and then inject at a specific depth. (Anything else would be in your flesh.) And, the blood in your veins flows, so it still doesn't represent what happens even if that rare event would take place.

Mr. Logical, getting all technical, I realize...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
the blood looks like Jelly! not good

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Matar

that video...shudder....interesting fact, there is a medication to lower blood pressure that is made from snake venom!!! (I am sure the pills must be very dilute of course)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

I have seen this once on TV,so forgive me for not watching your link-I presume it shows how the blood turns to set jelly/jello in seconds.
Very disturbing to imagine it happening to you-the pain must be indescribable.
I do know a dude from Scotland who got bitten by an adder-one of our few venomous snakes in the UK.
He got it in the leg when he stood on a snake while walking his dog-he got a good dose as the snake must have been in agony having a 13stone Scottish giant squashing its intestines.
Life or death for the snake I suppose.
Anyhow,my friend got rushed to hospital for antiven,and he was OK a week later.The snake died when he trod on it.
But he said before the treatment he would have chewed his own leg off if he could have moved-the pain was that bad.
And thats only an adder bite.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vrill

I wasnt all that scared of snakes until I saw this......wow

Anyhow, my dog was was recently bitten by a Cottonmouth. So ive been doing a lot of research on snakes and their venoms and bites etc. These serpents can do some horrible horrible things to you

edit on 1-8-2012 by Vrill because: (no reason given)

The effects of the venom varies with the snake .. just like spiders.. some spiders can be VERY nasty .. brown recluse can cause all of the tissue it contacts to die ..

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Same title !
That mean you clearly didnt use the search option

this is a month old video but still a great video to show people how dangerous snakes are

edit on 8/2/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
You should see what me blood does to snake venom.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Same title !
That mean you clearly didnt use the search option

Correct

Closing this one

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join