It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stun Gun used on Alzheimer's patient inside the nursing home.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
source

Virginia placed James at Miller's Merry Manor only a few months ago. Two weeks ago, Virginia got a call her husband was in the hospital.

She was told he had an episode. When she got to him, a nurse told her a Peru police officers used a stun gun on him inside the senior facility. Virginia said the stun gun was used on her husband five times for a total of 31 seconds.

“He had the hide ripped off his hand. His whole hand was just ripped, bleeding. He had a black eye. He had bruises on this hand. He had marks on him," Virginia said.

This kind of thing is happening way to much, maybe it's time the government start spending a little time looking over the training manuals they use when training these thugs.

Oh wait...
edit on 1-8-2012 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Wed Aug 1 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

I'm not justifying what the police did was right, but an older cousin of my wife had Alzheimer's so bad that he chased a few of his family members with a knife. Not all Alzheimer's patients become violent, but I guess some of them can really change and become a threat to the people around them.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Can you please provide us a link to the source?
This stun gunning is getting out of hand seriously!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
There are ways of handling the situation non violently. The nursing homes (as the police department) should be prepared and have someone on call that can handle these situations the right way.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

sorry I forgot to add the link. it's there now

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is really disturbing.

My parents had no other choice but to put my Mamaw in a nursing home due to her multiple strokes and not being able to care for her for various personal health issues of their own (we visited at least twice a week and they were very nice to her. She loved it there and was glad to have the social aspect of staying there.)

BUT... my grandmother was coherent and was able to tell us how things were there.

I know that people can get violent with cognitive decline but tased 5 times???

I just think it might have (probably was) really excessive.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by tw0330

I'm not justifying what the police did was right, but an older cousin of my wife had Alzheimer's so bad that he chased a few of his family members with a knife. Not all Alzheimer's patients become violent, but I guess some of them can really change and become a threat to the people around them.

I did the same thing to my brother when I was 5, I ended up stabbing myself in the knee after falling while chasing him. Would you stun a pissed 5 year old?

ETA My brother was bigger, stronger, older and faster at the time. Just to be totally disclosing.

edit on 1/8/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cassiper

Maybe the ole fart was a bad dood his whole life and caused many pains to others lives.

This is a human condition by the way. whether you are a cop, doctor or family, people like hurting the weak.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The more I think about this situation the more I'm annoyed. Nursing homes know all too well these types of things will and have happened. They normally have a couple of beefcake attendants to wrestle the old fart to the ground and then strap the patient down to the bed and dope them up.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
There is a comment on the other page that echoes my first thoughts as well. If the Nursing Home felt over powered to the point of calling in police to start with, wasn't he pretty far out of control? The article is a bit light for details so it's hard to know, but I'm thinking the injuries sound about like that of someone in one hell of a bar fight and not necessarily on the losing end of it. What caused the hand to be torn up? Taser Darts? Or was it more like I've seen some guys have after heavy fights?

31 seconds and 5 shots sounds awfully extreme by any measure, but like I posted on another thread...what are all the circumstances? Prior to tasers, in SOME of these cases, the headlines simply read that so and so had been shot while threatening police and that was that. Just something to consider.....when so much isn't known for facts. (The Police Chief's actions are interesting...though I keep in mind a P.C. is a political animal from head to toe also. The inquiry results will be good if someone posts the follow-up eventually)
edit on 1-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
reply to post by cassiper

This is a human condition by the way. whether you are a cop, doctor or family, people like hurting the weak.

I totally agree. I work with children so I am WELL aware. People must be blind or brainwashed not to see this.
I'm just glad no one hurt my Mamaw while she was in the nursing home or I would have been locked up.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Termination recommended for officer who used stun gun on Alzheimer's patient

An officer with the Peru Police Department who was investigated for using a stun gun on an Alzheimer’s patient in June could be fired, after the police chief recommended he be terminated Monday.

Peru Police Chief Steve Hoover recommended to the Peru Public Board of Works that Officer Gregory Martin be terminated after an internal investigation into the incident was completed.

In the early morning hours of June 17, police arrived to the Miller’s Merry Manor Nursing Home in reference to 64-year-old James Howard, who has an advanced stage of Alzheimer’s. According to the police report, nursing home staff called 911 around 4:45 a.m. after Howard became "combative" and "struck several employees."

Officers reported Howard did not listen to several of their commands, so one of them fired a stun gun at him. The report said officers "Tased" Howard three times despite, according to his wife, being told that he has advanced stage Alzheimer’s and cannot interpret or follow orders.

Tasering a 64 yr old... Termination recommended by the Chief of Police.

Yeah sounds like the old guy was just out to hurt people, and was mean his entire life..

Oh wait!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Agree but the requirements you mention are often not present. It is not a fault of the worker that defended himself but the system. In this particular case the use also seems excessive...

edit on 2-8-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Nursing homes should be able to handle these situations. However, if they only admitted him months ago and he has severe on-set of Alzheimer's, this may be one of the few facilities that will accept him in this condition.

Believe it or not but a lot of nursing homes will essentially "kick out" Alzheimer's patients because they cannot adequately handle them in such a condition. What options are left facility wise? Usually, only the bad nursing homes and mental asylums.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
At face value I cannot blame the home or the officer.

Why should anyone else get hurt over him? Beefcake or not.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
So many comments upon so little available info.
A waste of time to read.

It would seem that a severe Alzheimer's suffer is somewhat immune to the effects of a tazer such are certain drug users. I can certainly see a similarity in behaviors of the two types also. Neither are rational at the time of the tazing. The fact that the guy was injured tells us nothing. A tazer doesn't do that so he must of had a hand (no pun intended) in causing that injury.

top topics

join