It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chick-Fil-A Protest in Springfield, Mo.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I bet the cops love that!
Wow... they must get a long lunch break!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Photos do speak. Wonder what will be on our minds when we look at these current photos in 40 years. I know I won't be laughing.

From the artist Manny Castro. "Everybody is entitled to free speech, but it seems like for the gay tribe, this is more of an issue of equal rights -- human rights," explained Castro. "I'm against what these people stand for, what this company stands for. They're trying to take away what little rights we already have."

"I thought of the photographs from 40 years ago of Christians protesting blacks marrying whites," said Castro. "It is the same thing." www.huffingtonpost.com...

Note: I am not supporting the graffiti. I do not approve of destruction of other peoples property.

edit on 3-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Sorry guys... My link seemed to change for the feed attached almost immediately and they zoomed the camera back out. ATS can be a shock to sites for traffic and perhaps a jump got their attention to that feed... Anyway.. I'll have personal photos taken a bit later; Always the better choice anyway.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This whole thing is so stupid and really just makes me sad for the people of the US. Not one person person ever said the dude couldn't say whatever he wanted to. This isn't an issue of free speech what-so-ever, and really that long of line of people shows me nothing about supporting free speech as much as it does supporting the continued denial of equality for same sex couples and homosexual individuals.

Cognitive Dissonance abounds...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That was never violated.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

But, this...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

and this are violated every day of every year of every decade and century that we allow denial of access to a labeled group.

Gay marriage does not threaten heterosexual marriage, but denial of gay marriage or a legal equivalent threatens same sex couples all day everyday.

Not to mention that in THIS country the concept of inequality is SUPPOSED to be abhorrent.

Chic-fil-a financially supports an ugly violation of our Constitution and our Declaration of Independence. How dare a politician call out a corporation in defense of the people.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Kali, there were mayors in at least two cities talking about regulatory and or LEGAL remedy to take against franchise locations of this business and for what reason again? The expression of speech and deeply held belief by the owner. He used the money his own private business generated to donate to a perfectly lawful and recognized organization. A few of them, actually.

I don't have to even agree with his position to absolutely stand by him for his right to make it and then hold it. Without the wild and irresponsible talk of actually bringing real economic and business harm to the owner and the franchise so many depend upon for their own jobs, I don't believe it would have gotten near the attention it did. Gay protest issues in either direction wouldn't have brought the crowds out here, anyway. Not in my local experience.

Our LGBT community and straight communities seem to get along well, locally. The LGBT community is small, but I don't hear anything about abuse or hostility directed toward them.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Again the issue these politicians had was not with what was said. It is the financial support of the continued denial of equality.

These groups that lobby the government in every way possible to keep the rights of gays limited have a right to exist, they have a right to scream and cry their opinion that homosexuality is wrong. But their money and their voice should have no weight against the Constitution and Declaration of Independence... but sadly, they do... overwhelmingly so.

Replace gay with non-white and this story would be a whole lot different, don't you think? Why do have to go through this continually? Non-whites, women, now gays...

Selective Liberty should never have been let alone last this goddamned long.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well, here is the scene in the same spot for about 4:30 pm on "kiss-in" friday, I suppose it's being called. Anyway, I'm getting ready to head out to check our local locations and see if anything interesting is happening this dinner period. Doesn't look real busy, but who knows. I'll be back!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Good evening everyone! Another trip out at dinner time brings a very different result, at the the very least.

I'm not sure if this is something to be happy to see or to be upset about. I suppose it depends entirely on which side of the underlying issue one stands on. Personally, I believe what I discovered was a positive thing. In short, there was nothing to really report. No protests, angry voices, upset citizens yelling at one another or even any sign today was special at all. If one compares these to the opening set, you'll see I've matched rough positions for some and got new angles for others. I hope this gives a fair representation of today's scene compared to Wednesday.

On approach, I could see confirmation of what the traffic cameras showed online. The frontage road has no backup and no long lines of vehicles waiting to turn into the lot.

Here, it's roughly where the first approach photo had been on the OP. Again, it's pretty quiet out there today.

I'll hold comment on the next three to simply give context

Finally, I went a bit further down the street in the other direction to give the best overall view of the area. This includes the overflow parking on the street and in the dirt as shown in the OP.

The sole white blazer out there is mine.

Some may look at this follow-up report and consider how I wasted gas by making the trip. That is true enough. However, I can't say I view it as a wasted trip. The scene at this same location on Wednesday evening demonstrated the energy and the passion is here in the Ozarks and there are plenty of people who feel strongly. I also know there is a healthy, if limited LGBT community across the greater Springfield area.

The fact I found nothing of real interest shows me that this day, which could have invited confrontation far more than Wednesday, was overlooked by both sides. It doesn't matter if it was by lack of interest or by deliberate choice that conflict wasn't present here today. That isn't the point. Conflict could have come if one or both had desired it. I'm proud to say that my beloved Ozarks was not the scene of anything of the sort that I saw.

Have a good evening and again, have some chicken!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Have a good evening and again, have some chicken!

This whole deal was never really about the chicken, Dan Cathy's comments, homophobia, family values etc.

It was about a corporation [Chick-fil-A] that has consistently given money to organizations that clearly want to disenfranchise a segment of the taxpaying citizens of this country; LGBT people. That in my opinion is a constitutional issue and should be addressed as such.

www.windycitymediagroup.com...
thinkprogress.org...

Trying to play this as a purely free speech issue is lame and disingenuous. imo

Chicken.....no thanks! You are what you eat!

edit on 3-8-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

This whole deal was never really about the chicken, Dan Cathy's comments, homophobia, family values etc.

It was about a corporation [Chick-fil-A] that has consistently given money to organizations that clearly want to disenfranchise a segment of the taxpaying citizens of this country; LGBT people. That in my opinion is a constitutional issue and should be addressed as such.

That's right.

LGBTQ and supporters who have known about Mr. Cathy for quite sometime were already boycotting Chick-fil-A.

The fact the media picked this up is significant.

Those who continue to eat there - - will go back to their regular routines.

But the boycott that was already in effect will continue and probably gain supporters.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Doing our grocery shopping and all this evening we had to go back to the same mall I posted a pic of yesterday and it was just as vacant as your pics are. I keep looking at the news to see how the boycott kiss-in went today and none of my channels seem to be covering any of it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

Doing our grocery shopping and all this evening we had to go back to the same mall I posted a pic of yesterday and it was just as vacant as your pics are. I keep looking at the news to see how the boycott kiss-in went today and none of my channels seem to be covering any of it.

The idea is actually to take a picture of yourself kissing in front of a Chick-fil-A - - - then post it online.

It was never planned as a major group protest.

LGBTQ support for this idea was split.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Politics, Politics.... Always politics Annee.

Sometimes it just is what it is and that's been my intent to show from the start. Not what it could have been or maybe should have been.

I've touched on 'why' in only the most peripheral way because *I* didn't go there for Gay marriage. I didn't see anyone who was there for Gay Marriage. That is what it is. Take it for what you will, but here, in this town and at the location I was at, such was the set of facts I came across. Maybe you have direct experience of a different situation or set of facts for another location? I'd love to hear it.

It's like you found a bone and won't let it go though and finding something to be disagreeable about in the actual absence of conflict and a happy report to be finding it is a telling thing. I'll leave it there for now as more would be counterproductive.

edit on 3-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

It's like you found a bone and won't let it go though and finding something to be disagreeable about in the actual absence of conflict and a happy report to be finding it is a telling thing. I'll leave it there for now as more would me counterproductive.

I have stated before Equal Rights is my focus. Currently LGBTQ Equal Rights and Marriage.

How often do you see me in other threads such as politics?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Trying to play this as a purely free speech issue is lame and disingenuous. imo Chicken.....no thanks! You are what you eat!

Oh I haven't suggested anything began as Free Speech. The first American Revolution also wasn't about Tea. One begot the other because larger principles were involved.

This moved beyond the gay issue when politicians began babbling about legal sanction or regulatory action against this chain. If his beliefs were unpopular, a boycott would have been fine I suppose... I've never thought much of them but that is a private thing and privately handled. People, pissed at other people and speaking with dollars.

When it becomes any political leader even talking half way serious about action at the official level in response to expression? I don't care what the whole thing began as. It's of little meaning, whether I do agree with it or not.

I saw no one out there on the first trip who was talking anti-gay or anything of the sort. Not remotely like it. However, the feeling of 'enough is enough' for outside government meddling in any form, whatsoever, is about as strong as it has ever been.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I have stated before Equal Rights is my focus.

and, despite any disagreement we may have, this is why i hold a high opinion of you.

There is only one "rights", and that is "rights" that every person has. If you are unable to secure them for yourself, I am all to happy to help you.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

Trying to play this as a purely free speech issue is lame and disingenuous. imo Chicken.....no thanks! You are what you eat!

Oh I haven't suggested anything began as Free Speech. The first American Revolution also wasn't about Tea. One begot the other because larger principles were involved.

I've noticed how you always conveniently ignore the Fact that Chick Fil A has contributed to organizations that want to stifile the gay movement as well as disenfranchise homosexuals and some even go as far as to want to imprison gays. These gay people pay taxes for Christ sake.

equalitymatters.org...
www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.care2.com...

If it looks like a chicken, walks like a chicken then it's a ****** chicken.

Larger principals indeed! That you choose to gloss over in favor of transparent straw men.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3-8-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by Annee

I have stated before Equal Rights is my focus.

and, despite any disagreement we may have, this is why i hold a high opinion of you.

There is only one "rights", and that is "rights" that every person has. If you are unable to secure them for yourself, I am all to happy to help you.

Thank you.

I fully admit I am human - - with human faults and emotions.

But I really do try to keep them out of my postings and focus on the subject.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Are you suggesting there is anything unlawful about the organizations or what they do with the money they get? I would imagine by now they have all been investigated about every way humanly possible from bloggers to hired PI's for dirt to sling, so I figure we needn't look too hard for new stuff. I'd be interested in hearing specifics anyone can click to and read more about on their own though.

Unless there was something unlawful about any of this, then Government had absolutely no business suggesting anything like action against his expression, as noted. That made this about something far more than you are focusing on.

Personally, I would find this vile and a tough one to stomach, but I'd march FOR the right of the Skokie parade, even today. I'd be on the side one step from fighting them on demonstration day, but I'd protest for the right they'd have to do it all over again if that floats their boat. Free country and all that. Ya know?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Every one has a agenda. SPL had one, Arcon has one, Ron Paul has one, NAACP has one, Obama has one, Mitt has one.

This does not make any of this unconstitutional. It just makes it a hot potato. Bias, what ever may it be, views that one generation has, does not go away even though it appears to change. It is changed by the next, but I feel it takes another generation to go away.

Depression Era adults, pass down their feelings, to the next, and the 2nd generation may have overcame it.
Depression Era Adults are not the able throw anything away. Jelly Glasses, S&H Green Stamps, old lawnmowers. They might be able to use it or might need it. I am of the next generation, so I am better, my kids seem to have out grown it.

Bigotry, racism, and other such things seem to follow the same pattern to me. No need to give examples, just look at your past. Including your past generations.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join