It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chick-Fil-A Protest in Springfield, Mo.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Right, god forbid we should have a dissenting belief from the crowd, and God forbid we don't conform to the one true way of militant homosexuals.

edit on 2-8-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
So why AREN'T all these Christians lining up at homeless shelters and food banks giving monies and food to those that ACTUALLY need it???

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I have seen more straight folks arguing for the gays than the gays themselves now that you mention it. I think a majority of gay people would have rather seen it go down a different way, or be handled better than what it is.

But - - it was the same with Civil Rights too.

I can gladly concede that point.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
He is a homosexual, and now you're saying he can't be a homosexual because he disagrees with you and all homosexuals should be the same way?

Now if that isn't bigotry I don't know what is.

Keep posting all you want to, intelligent people will see through your bigotry and know you for the heterophobe you are.

And you don't intimidate me.

Plus people will see through your hypocrisy, you say you don't associate with homophobes but here you are associating with me.

He is gay, he is not a homosexual. He is a gay man from a conservative area who is misguided. The fact he is misguided doesn't make him any less gay, but it makes him another individual who simply doesn't get it. And as for intelligence, I haven't seen much of any whatsoever from any CFA supporter. Almost like it's an impossibility. Mostly because the reasons people have for supporting CFA are basically all totally off-base and missing the entire point of why there is a backlash against the company.

I'm not associating with you. I'm not allowing you to get away with your bigotry. Associating with you would be to seek you out to talk to you on a one-on-one basis outside of debate threads such as these. And that will never happen.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights

I agree. I think maybe this was "the straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak. Both sides have saved it up until they can't hold it in anymore I guess.
edit on 8/2/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)
Yeah, but honestly, I think it's pro-gay straights who are heavier into the CFA debate, rather than actual gay people. Because I'm honestly more concerned about DOMA and ENDA than Chick-fil-A. I've never set one foot in that store in my life

You have a point. I have seen more straight folks arguing for the gays than the gays themselves now that you mention it. I think a majority of gay people would have rather seen it go down a different way, or be handled better than what it is. But I am not gay...so I just ASSume from what I have seen and read. There are indeed some big fish to fry on both sides that I think outweigh this commotion as well, but again...it does not affect me the way it does LBGT folks.

I think lots of folks are pissed about A LOT of things and in the coming months anything is likely to start a fire like this. I would just like to see a small fire started somewhere that it might make a difference and I don't think Chick-Fil-A is the answer as he doesn't make the laws. It goes much higher than Dan Cathy and I think some forget that.
Don't get me wrong, the gays are definitely, by and large, very much anti Chick-fil-A. But we've already been so. It's just now that we have billions of heterosexuals who are also coming out as anti Chick-fil-A due to Dan Cathy's recent anti-gay statements and the reports of he donating millions to anti-gay organizations. For our community however, not much has changed, it's just that now our battle for equality, between this AND the Boy Scouts, has taken front stage.

In a way, it's almost pathetic, that with our economy in the shape it's in, that gay rights has become probably the biggest story of the country and it will likely remain a top 3 story of the country through November. It's pathetic but that highlights how we as a country have yet to truly integrate and equalize the gay community. But it's also a good thing because our cause is getting the attention it needs and we're gaining supporters, we're seeing people be vocal and that's great. We're galvanized, and we have seen many conservatives come out in support of the gay community. I do agree that people are very angry about a lot of things; IMO, it's easy to use gay rights as a means to express that anger, on both sides. Because it's an emotional issue as much as it is moral, global, societal, governmental. So people don't have to think much and they can demonize the other side and use gay rights as their representation as to why the other side is horrible.

It's also that things are so hot and heavy and I think many gay people are scared, you know? I think a lot of us have this mentality that it's OK to be anti-gay because it's been drilled in our heads for so long, so some gays are supporting CFA and actually giving money to the company. Also I think the fact social conservatives and some blue dog Dems have bonded in their anti-gay views is something that is chilling to many gays. It's like, damn.............a lot of people are really against us. I think some didn't realize the depth of anti-gay attitudes there is in America still.

I agree that many have lost perspective, and in being overly anti-CFA, miss the bigger picture. Condemning homophobia is great but actively supporting and promoting LGBT equality is more important. I think many in the gay community, as you said, wish things could be handled a bit differently, where the spotlight is less on Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A and more on concrete things, like why the anti-gay organizations Dan Cathy supported are so evil, or why it's important to support gay people in Midwest and Southern cities (where most CFA franchises are located) who have to deal with homophobia so regularly. Education and love is the key to changing hearts and minds but at this point, that ship has sailed.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Right, god forbid we should have a dissenting belief from the crowd, and God forbid we don't conform to the one true way of militant homosexuals.

edit on 2-8-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)
Militant homosexuals? LOL. You all sure are threatened by us. Cute to see.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaysandnights

What did he say that was "anti-gay"?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
reply to post by crazydaysandnights

What did he say that was "anti-gay"?
He has said gay/lesbian people shouldn't have families and aren't real families. He has said that society believing in same-sex marriage will lead to God's wrath on our nation. He has said that marriage equality will lead to social destruction. He has called marriage equality supporters selfish and arrogant.

Of course, that's really just the beginning, but what Dan Cathy says means little to me. The fact he spends millions in supporting organizations that seek to harm my community is why there is a backlash.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

What a stupid question...lining up to get dinner for themselves doesn't mean they don't give to charity......liberals love to come up with ridiculous arguments that have NOTHING to do with the problem at hand just to try to stir up emotion.

Doesn't work with people who have a brain....sorry!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by AutOmatIc

What a stupid question...lining up to get dinner for themselves doesn't mean they don't give to charity......liberals love to come up with ridiculous arguments that have NOTHING to do with the problem at hand just to try to stir up emotion.

Doesn't work with people who have a brain....sorry!!!!

Social conservatives stand together in being anti-gay more than they do in standing together for actual noble causes. Says a lot about your group.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
All this proves is there are still many bigots in the south. Shame considering its the 21st century, I wonder how many people there don't believe in evolution either.

That's a great question! Rahm forgot to include his views on life as part of the criteria for securing a business license. Thanks for pointing this out.

I hope he likes being mayor. Rahm's national political career is finished.
edit on 2-8-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann
That's a great question! Rahm forgot to include his views on life as part of the criteria for securing a business license. Thanks for pointing this out.

If anything, this has helped Rahm's political career as the left is now as solidly behind him as can be.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Actually - - your comment is weird and militant.

Most major gay sites I've read fully 100% support Mr.Cathy's right of speech and belief.

But - - they draw the line at eating there - - because of his financial support of extreme anti-gay groups.

That is logical. Not militant.

This gay kid states he is perfectly fine eating there and giving Mr. Cathy his money - - - which will be used to deny him his Equal Rights. Not logical.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
well said annee.

edit on 2-8-2012 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights

If anything, this has helped Rahm's political career as the left is now as solidly behind him as can be.

And that's a good thing? He's so far to the left that he's really a totalitarian. Is that something to be proud of?
Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Rahm hasn't been able to stop voting rights for non-liberals, yet, don't forget.

Why? He doesn't have to, as elections are rigged anyway.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Oh, be my guest. This is what I meant in my op about sharing experiences from other locations as a first hand thing. Anyone who has another city to show and talk about, it adds to the discussion if someone shares it.

Thanks for the addition it makes to the thread!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

In Reply To crazydaysandnights

First of all... thank you for this post. You worded it great and with a level head. As corny as it sounds, I do thank you for taking the time to give (at least me) a first hand view. I can only agree with pretty much everything you said.

I am going to try and reply back in kind with the thoughtfulness that you have given me. Please bear with me as it may or may not be TMI taking into consideration our conversation so far.

I have not made my stand on this issue crystal clear thus far. I have read both sides, watched both sides, and listened to both sides. During all of this, I have had much I wanted to say, but have not done so for a lot of reasons... not the least of getting torched by one side or the other or even both.

I grew up in a household that held highly anti homosexual beliefs, this household also held highly racist beliefs as well. In the south and in that time period most everyone I knew was raised the same. Throw in some old time Southern Baptist in there and you can start seeing the picture a little more clear. Gays were going to burn in hell and races did not mix. This was drummed into my brother's and my head from the time we were old enough to walk. As I grew older, I knew that this wasn't right. People were people right?

In school back in the 80's we didn't have an "out" population. NOBODY in that school felt safe to say who they really were. I still didn't think much about it until I was out of school and ventured out into the real world. And I was right...people are people. But I know many folks that still feel the same way as I was raised to feel. And I can not understand why these people can't "rise above their raising". Sometimes parents get it wrong too. We don't have a manual...they damn sure didn't, and IMO we should all strive to "rise above our raising". We can choose what is right for us on our own and not what someone tells us is right when we are 2-16.

My mom has since come around, however my father never has and I fear never will. My point in sharing this, is to Iet you know that even the folks raised that way...aren't all against you. And even here in the south a few of us have managed to "rise above our raising" and hold the opinion that all people are equal. We have equal worth and should have equal rights amongst us. I can't act like a lot of the Chick-Fil-A supporters aren't anti gay, but I can tell you with some faith that there are a lot who feel that he is being punished for his personal beliefs and that is why they are there. Again... not nearly all of them...maybe not even half sadly. But some.

I support free speech and I support gay rights. I was saddened when I read that so many gays saw the supporters as just people with pure hatred for them, as I had not honestly seen it that way until you wrote it. I should have, but I didn't. And looking at it from that point of view....I can't even imagine. I feel the need to apologize for it, though I am not sure why. I hate to think of so many hurt thinking that. It isn't right by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody should be made to feel like a second class citizen regardless of their beliefs or lack there of.

I do wish that more folks would go above how they were raised and just SEE...but I don't know if that is a pipe dream or not. Until we all do that, nothing will change for anybody. I am raising my daughter differently. She see people as people and I hope she spreads it to hers...one small step.

Again, sorry for the length and the TMI. I guess it built up over all of this and your post just touched something in me. Maybe someone else will read and realize they don't have to feel the way they were raised to feel. Who knows? One can hope.
edit on 8/2/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I don't know where to put this, so if Wrabbit doesn't mind I will stick it in his thread.

This is the picture that was taken by the local newspaper in my area today....

How would you feel looking at this and knowing all these people hate you - - just for the way you were born?

Kinda pathetic.

You have the freedom to wire your nerves and tattoo your skin however you wish, unless you'd rather believe in determinism. How would you feel if someone came along and simply branded you as being 'gay'? Or better yet, just do it to yourself. Look everyone, I'm gay. I am forever gay, and that's the way I am. But then you wouldn't be able to swing both ways, because, you would have trouble getting state recognized marriage papers. You may be a self described same sex lover, but that does not give you the right to brand everyone who supports CFA as 'hating you'. Most people just ignore gay histrionics because most people don't talk about where they had intercourse, anatomically speaking, and just aren't interested.

None of these people hate any such thing, they are supporting a chain that was blackballed by a few nwo players who can't keep their lust for power and control in their pants.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Most people just ignore gay histrionics because most people don't talk about where they had intercourse, anatomically speaking, and just aren't interested.

This one statement invalidates any positive you might have said.

The only people that constantly focus on gay sex is the anti-gay group.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join