It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chick-Fil-A Protest in Springfield, Mo.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
What I'd like to see is Jim Henson calling and end to the hostilities from both sides. This thing has blown up way out of proportion than it need to have.

Because basically, he started it.

He's dead. Has been for a few years now. It is his company.
But, I agree. It has gotten so much bigger than I think either side imagined it would.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaysandnights

It's called right of association, and no, it is not an attack against the gay community. You're making a big deal out of something that is not, just to feel self important.

I'm going to start calling you a militant heterophobe because you're overusing the term homophobe.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Whoops. Ah well, can't be perfect all the time.

But the people who own the Muppets should do what they can to end the hostilities.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I don't know where to put this, so if Wrabbit doesn't mind I will stick it in his thread.

This is the picture that was taken by the local newspaper in my area today....

How would you feel looking at this and knowing all these people hate you - - just for the way you were born?

Kinda pathetic.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

It's called right of association, and no, it is not an attack against the gay community. You're making a big deal out of something that is not, just to feel self important.

I'm going to start calling you a militant heterophobe because you're overusing the term homophobe.

Not associating with a person solely because they are gay is homophobic.

The word homophobe applies to many things, people and situations that you and others post and individuals themselves, so if the shoe fits, wear it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

But, I agree. It has gotten so much bigger than I think either side imagined it would.
I knew this was going to be bad, but I didn't think Chick-fil-A would become the symbol of the gay rights fight nor become the rallying icon for conservatives. But this CFA debate is so much more than Chick-fil-A. It's a full-blown culture war.
edit on 2-8-2012 by crazydaysandnights because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
And yes, it's pathetic people would stuff their face with gross fatty foods solely to make a point of how homophobic they are. It's almost sad, but these people are too pathetic to get upset over. Just one of those things you shake your head at.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

No it isn't. PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO ASSOCIATE WITH YOU IF THEY DON'T WANT TO AND THEY CAN USE ANY REASON THEY WANT TO NOT ASSOCIATE WITH YOU.

Again, this just forcing people to associate with the people they don't want to. Which is what is entirely wrong with you guys. You don't want want tolerance, you want special rights that nobody else has. And that special right you want is to force people to be around you when they don't want to.

I'm saddened that you can't see it's wrong for you to force people to do that.

If the shoe fits, wear it, heterophobe.

Stop overusing the term homophobe, you wear out it's meaning. It has no place in a rational discussion.

With which you are incapable.

edit on 2-8-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights

I knew this was going to be bad, but I didn't think Chick-fil-A would become the symbol of the gay rights fight nor become the rallying icon for conservatives. But this CFA debate is so much more than Chick-fil-A. It's a full-blown culture war.

I agree. I think maybe this was "the straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak. Both sides have saved it up until they can't hold it in anymore I guess.
edit on 8/2/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

No it isn't. PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO ASSOCIATE WITH YOU IF THEY DON'T HAVE TO AND THEY CAN USE ANY REASON THEY WANT TO NOT ASSOCIATE WITH YOU.

Again, this just forcing people to associate with the people they don't want to. Which is what is entirely wrong with you guys. You don't want want tolerance, you want special rights that nobody else has. And that special right you want is to force people to be around you when they don't want to.

I'm saddened that you can't see it's wrong for you to force people to do that.

If the shoe fits, wear it, heterophobe.

Stop overusing the term homophobe, you wear out it's meaning. It has no place in a rational discussion.

With which you are incapable.

Gay is not a reason to not associate with someone, unless you are homophobic. And it does not make me heterophobic to highlight this, since any rational heterosexual individual is not homophobic.

I wouldn't and do not associate with homophobes. Like, at all. Once a person displays any homophobic tendencies, they are IMMEDIATELY cut from my life and immediately do not register in my mind. LGBT folk don't want to associate with bigots, so you are off the mark. We don't need to associate with bigots, since quite frankly, we're above bigots, and you serve no purpose whatsoever to our lives. With that being said, if a bigot chooses to be a bigot, calling them out on said bigotry is not doing anything more than that.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

How would you feel looking at this and knowing all these people hate you - - just for the way you were born?

Kinda pathetic.

Well, from the looks of it, the crowd consists mainly of older individuals who likely grew up during a time when it was normal to discriminate against others. Some of these same people may have been complaining about uppity African Americans during the civil rights movement.

Either way it's sad.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I agree. I think maybe this was "the straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak. Both sides have saved it up until they can't hold it in anymore I guess.
Yeah, but honestly, I think it's pro-gay straights who are heavier into the CFA debate, rather than actual gay people. Because I'm honestly more concerned about DOMA and ENDA than Chick-fil-A. I've never set one foot in that store in my life

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

Originally posted by Annee

Kinda pathetic.

Well, from the looks of it, the crowd consists mainly of older individuals who likely grew up during a time when it was normal to discriminate against others. Some of these same people may have been complaining about uppity African Americans during the civil rights movement.

Either way it's sad.

Probably.

You've got a point. The gay supporters tend to be younger.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Then stop responding to me, because while I have stated I do not support discrimination and am not opposed to homosexual marriage, I have been critical of other things, and according to you being critical of homosexuals in any way shape or form is homophobic, so that means I am a homophobe.

You heterophobe.

And just to throw a monkey wrench into the works:

My name is Matt. I'm approaching 20 years old. I am a liberal and a supporter of Barack Obama in 2012. What's more is that I am gay and I support Chick-Fil-A.

Within the last two weeks the fast food chain has undergone renewed controversy for it's stance on same sex marriage. I've noted that many liberals frame the issue as Chick-Fil-A being a organization that supports anti-gay hate groups and the conservatives frame it as liberals and gays attacking a organizations' right to freedom of speech merely because the company doesn't share the same beliefs. In a sense both parties are wrong. Here's what happened: Dan Cathy, the CEO of Chick-Fil-A recently said his organization was "guilty as charged" in that they support the biblical definition of a marriage, between a man and a woman. This sparked many people to come out and call for the boycott of Chick-Fil-A. Numerous mayors of prominent cities in America announced that Chick-Fil-A was no longer allowed in their city because they didn't share their beliefs. Former Presidential Candidate Mike Huckabee proclaimed August 1st a day of appreciation for the fast food chain.

The first issue to address is the First Amendment rights. Everyone these days is a constitutional scholar so I think it goes without saying that our constitution guarantee's us the freedom of speech and the freedom of religion in that section. The issue becomes, where do you draw the limits on the two. It is my strong belief that corporations are not people and thereby they do not have entitlements under the regular Constitution of the United States unless it specifically says this applies to businesses (which it doesn't). However, those running the corporations (like Dan Cathy CEO of Chick-Fil-A) have a right to express their beliefs. It has always been an area that causes me to respect Chick-Fil-A when they close on Sundays for the only purpose of retaining personal convictions over profit motives. Mr. Cathy has been unfairly attacked for his statement that he doesn't support same-sex marriage. As a gay man I say let him not support gays. When the gay community and gay activist groups push on anti-gay people and organizations to change their minds and opinions via bullying or forced involvement I fear it would make whatever accomplishments taste cheap like a greasy coin.Ultimately the acceptance of the gay community and the right of gays to marry will not be achieved through violent means, physical and verbal, but through peaceful and honest negotiations.

ireport.cnn.com...

Now there's a guy I can have some respect for. He says it much better than I can.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It's not fair.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Then stop responding to me, because while I have stated I do not support discrimination and am not opposed to homosexual marriage, I have been critical of other things, and according to you being critical of homosexuals in any way shape or form is homophobic, so that means I am a homophobe.

You heterophobe.

And just to throw a monkey wrench into the works:

My name is Matt. I'm approaching 20 years old. I am a liberal and a supporter of Barack Obama in 2012. What's more is that I am gay and I support Chick-Fil-A.

Within the last two weeks the fast food chain has undergone renewed controversy for it's stance on same sex marriage. I've noted that many liberals frame the issue as Chick-Fil-A being a organization that supports anti-gay hate groups and the conservatives frame it as liberals and gays attacking a organizations' right to freedom of speech merely because the company doesn't share the same beliefs. In a sense both parties are wrong. Here's what happened: Dan Cathy, the CEO of Chick-Fil-A recently said his organization was "guilty as charged" in that they support the biblical definition of a marriage, between a man and a woman. This sparked many people to come out and call for the boycott of Chick-Fil-A. Numerous mayors of prominent cities in America announced that Chick-Fil-A was no longer allowed in their city because they didn't share their beliefs. Former Presidential Candidate Mike Huckabee proclaimed August 1st a day of appreciation for the fast food chain.

The first issue to address is the First Amendment rights. Everyone these days is a constitutional scholar so I think it goes without saying that our constitution guarantee's us the freedom of speech and the freedom of religion in that section. The issue becomes, where do you draw the limits on the two. It is my strong belief that corporations are not people and thereby they do not have entitlements under the regular Constitution of the United States unless it specifically says this applies to businesses (which it doesn't). However, those running the corporations (like Dan Cathy CEO of Chick-Fil-A) have a right to express their beliefs. It has always been an area that causes me to respect Chick-Fil-A when they close on Sundays for the only purpose of retaining personal convictions over profit motives. Mr. Cathy has been unfairly attacked for his statement that he doesn't support same-sex marriage. As a gay man I say let him not support gays. When the gay community and gay activist groups push on anti-gay people and organizations to change their minds and opinions via bullying or forced involvement I fear it would make whatever accomplishments taste cheap like a greasy coin.Ultimately the acceptance of the gay community and the right of gays to marry will not be achieved through violent means, physical and verbal, but through peaceful and honest negotiations.

ireport.cnn.com...

Now there's a guy I can have some respect for. He says it much better than I can.

Matt Perez doesn't get it, and you don't get it, so of course, two clueless people, two peas in a pod.

You are a homophobe and as long as you make homophobic comments, I will respond and continue to expose that homophobia for all to see. Homophobia will not go unchallenged as long as I and others can help it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights

Yeah, but honestly, I think it's pro-gay straights who are heavier into the CFA debate, rather than actual gay people. Because I'm honestly more concerned about DOMA and ENDA than Chick-fil-A. I've never set one foot in that store in my life

You have a point. I have seen more straight folks arguing for the gays than the gays themselves now that you mention it. I think a majority of gay people would have rather seen it go down a different way, or be handled better than what it is. But I am not gay...so I just ASSume from what I have seen and read. There are indeed some big fish to fry on both sides that I think outweigh this commotion as well, but again...it does not affect me the way it does LBGT folks.

I think lots of folks are pissed about A LOT of things and in the coming months anything is likely to start a fire like this. I would just like to see a small fire started somewhere that it might make a difference and I don't think Chick-Fil-A is the answer as he doesn't make the laws. It goes much higher than Dan Cathy and I think some forget that.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

He is a homosexual, and now you're saying he can't be a homosexual because he disagrees with you and all homosexuals should be the same way?

Now if that isn't bigotry I don't know what is.

Keep posting all you want to, intelligent people will see through your bigotry and know you for the heterophobe you are.

And you don't intimidate me.

Plus people will see through your hypocrisy, you say you don't associate with homophobes but here you are associating with me.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

So every time he eats at Chick-fil-A - - - he's paying to have his Equal Rights denied.

Kind of reminds me of when I quit smoking - - when a pack went past a dollar - - I just couldn't justify buying my own death.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I have seen more straight folks arguing for the gays than the gays themselves now that you mention it. I think a majority of gay people would have rather seen it go down a different way, or be handled better than what it is.

But - - it was the same with Civil Rights too.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join